Tonight I cooked..........

964ST

LE
Oven rolls
20210705_211532_copy_1513x850.jpg

Last edited:
I live alone as I’m not a pleasant guy to live with. An old dog is my contstant companion. I’m poor too. As I don’t have a refrigerator or a microwave oven, and my Belling cooker was made in 1959, I buy a lot of tins. They don’t ‘go off.’
A favourite dish of mine is a tin of meatballs in tomato sauce cooked with a tin of five bean salad. A big dish full that fills me up. A big bag of rice lasts a year or more as a small cupful expands and I open a tin of Sainsbury’s curry - various varieties e.g. beef, chicken, vegetable and korma, tikka masala, madras etc.
I eat a lot of nuts too, but not salted peanuts. Walnuts are my favourites but don’t buy nuts in Holland & Barratt. Supermarkets for nuts. Raw carrots are very cheap and very good for you. I start the day with whole meal or granary toast and Coopers Oxford marmalade. I don’t have milk so my tea and coffee are black. I buy loose tea, not teabags. Also big bags of the cheapest coffee beans in Tesco - a coffee bean is a coffee bean. A grinder I picked up in a charity shop for £1.50. Unused, I don’t think they knew what it was, hand operated, of course. I don’t have a television set. No licence to buy. £159.50? Oh no, that will feed my old dog and me for six months. I have very generous family and friends.
Every Christmas and birthday sees bottles of single malt to refill the decanters on the sideboard. On a cold night as the wind whistles around the chimney pots and the rain beats against the windows (single glazed - my cottage is listed) I pull the old chair up to the fire, sip my scotch and turn the wireless off after the 10 o’clock news, take the dog into the garden for a last pee and then we go upstairs to bed. Old dog sleeps on my bed. Millions of pounds, a big ocean-going yacht moored at San Trop? What ever would I do with that. All the best and I hope I’ve entertained you. I won’t be offended at all if you say I spout crap.
Sir, that is quite some story. I read it out loud to Mrs Clubs and she was almost in tears. If indeed all that is true, then I salute you. That is quite a tale of melancholy you have written there, you have a way with words that for a minute, I was right there with you in that cottage.

I take it you have got the Internet and at least a mobile phone to keep in touch with people? And of course to post stuff on here.

You should write a book. Fascinated.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another question purely out of interest.

Why did the RAOC have bakeries rather than the ACC?

The latter would seem a more logical fit.
We'd only end up making bread penises

Where can you buy it?

It looks a bit like the £1.65 sourdough "half loaf" sold in the Coop and Waitrose.
I get mine from Waitrose. Makes excellent toast.

Another question purely out of interest.

Why did the RAOC have bakeries rather than the ACC?

The latter would seem a more logical fit.
Was it a case of wholesale and retail, or more operational and tactical?

My cousin's husband is a really nice bloke with a successful company and a social conscience. He is a leading member of the Rotary Club (Or it might be the Round Table) where he lives and puts in a lot of time helping the less fortunate. He told me a tale about when the local bishop wanted to join but that brought with it a problem. You see the rules state that they can only have one member from each 'trade' and they already had a vicar. They ummed and ahhed about it for some time, then gave him the good news that his application had been successful. From that point on, he and the vicar would be known as 'religion wholesale' and 'religion retail' respectively.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Where can you buy it?

It looks a bit like the £1.65 sourdough "half loaf" sold in the Coop and Waitrose.
Sainsbury's used to sell it but my local gigantic Sainsbugs now seems to sell fewer and fewer different brands, more own brand poor quality stuff. Like @slipperman I get it at Waitrose now. It comes in a half loaf but isn't like sourdough otherwise. It's hard to describe. The first time I tried it I thought it felt a bit dry but once toasted it was delicious.

D

Deleted 4482

Nah, 'fraid you've lost me there, but as you're not from the same planet as the rest of us you're excused boots.
No boots required on the previous dish you posted.. a whole squadron could march through and not step on a foodstuff :)

D

Deleted 4482

Was it a case of wholesale and retail, or more operational and tactical?

My cousin's husband is a really nice bloke with a successful company and a social conscience. He is a leading member of the Rotary Club (Or it might be the Round Table) where he lives and puts in a lot of time helping the less fortunate. He told me a tale about when the local bishop wanted to join but that brought with it a problem. You see the rules state that they can only have one member from each 'trade' and they already had a vicar. They ummed and ahhed about it for some time, then gave him the good news that his application had been successful. From that point on, he and the vicar would be known as 'religion wholesale' and 'religion retail' respectively.
And you! I‘ll sort you out tomorrow!!!
:)

Simple breakfast. Crepes with cherry tomatoes, pancetta and a bit of olive oil.
2D0C0661-AF47-4CDE-A70F-F217BD124EC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Lunchtime and continuing the Crepes theme - leftover from Breakfast! Crepes with Italian Roast Ham, fried onions and Cornish Gouda Cheese. Very nice.
001241F9-6B38-4486-AEE2-22E1F63355DA.jpeg

@slipperman - looks very good indeed, and correctly described as crepes, not pancakes.

However, our degenerate associate who used to move in Naval circles seems to have exerted some kind of influence upon my plate-spotting skills. In the breakfast photo, although beautifully centered, as one might expect of one with such an illustrious military career, there are chips in the plate rim at 0100 and 0400.

I would have said “show again plate”, but I see you actually did that with lunch, so well done for putting yourself on show parade.

Sadly, the POOW will have your nuts for woeful centering in the lunch shot. I can only conclude that you’ve been drinking watching the Olympics, so all is forgiven and bollox to @supermatelot :)

@slipperman - looks very good indeed, and correctly described as crepes, not pancakes.

However, our degenerate associate who used to move in Naval circles seems to have exerted some kind of influence upon my plate-spotting skills. In the breakfast photo, although beautifully centered, as one might expect of one with such an illustrious military career, there are chips in the plate rim at 0100 and 0400.

I would have said “show again plate”, but I see you actually did that with lunch, so well done for putting yourself on show parade.

Sadly, the POOW will have your nuts for woeful centering in the lunch shot. I can only conclude that you’ve been drinking watching the Olympics, so all is forgiven and bollox to @supermatelot :)
Like me, those plates have been around a bit. Funny enough, the woeful attempt at centring the food on the plate at lunchtime was to hide a chip at 12’o’clock! :-D
ETA: @supermatelot is generally pretty fair to my efforts, though I have to admit that sometimes I haven’t a clue what he’s on about!

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Like me, those plates have been around a bit. Funny enough, the woeful attempt at centring the food on the plate at lunchtime was to hide a chip at 12’o’clock! :-D
ETA: @supermatelot is generally pretty fair to my efforts, though I have to admit that sometimes I haven’t a clue what he’s on about!
Neither does he most of the time!

Lunchtime and continuing the Crepes theme - leftover from Breakfast! Crepes with Italian Roast Ham, fried onions and Cornish Gouda Cheese. Very nice.
View attachment 591239

Looks good. Made me feel peckish.

This weeks winner of the much coveted Fusion Dish Of The Week award for it's combination of French, Italian, Cornish/Dutch and British influences.

Well done that man.

Latest Threads