Tonight I cooked..........

Fish finger sarnie, tartare sauce, mature cheddar cheese and watercress .
Understood if you dont wish to but - any chance of you posting pic of your canal barge cooking area?
Gen interested. I've been following a few Vlogs on YouTube a couple of years now...Cruising the cut etc and..although Ive never stepped on a canal barge...it does intrigue me.

Obviously, I would not expect to see any of your quiche related shennanigans in said photo.

Last edited:
Beef and chicken tonight. We have a couple of house guests, who prefer chicken. I can’t turn my nose up at beef in favour of chicken myself, so just beef for me. With mashed potatoes, bacon-wrapped asparagus, stuffing, Yorkshires and gravy.

2BBFB4D1-D371-4CCB-A75A-10472FC6D65E.jpeg

7C10F88A-6859-4716-A91A-B82D669CEEA2.jpeg

A6A490D0-5827-438B-AF9F-BF1027312331.jpeg

Beef and chicken tonight. We have a couple of house guests, who prefer chicken. I can’t turn my nose up at beef in favour of chicken myself, so just beef for me. With mashed potatoes, bacon-wrapped asparagus, stuffing, Yorkshires and gravy.

View attachment 590626

View attachment 590627

View attachment 590625
Bit disappointed with the reflection of the wine on knife in this picture. The last few have been far better, almost looking like it had jam on it.
:)

Our BBQ’d dinner … fillet pork wrapped in bacon with home made sausage on skewers, roast potatoes,baked Camembert and a cucumber, garlic and sour cream salad in the background.
I’m not sure about the pubic hair garnish at 7 o’clock - my wife thinks it really works but I’m not convinced :)
3371F546-E5A7-48DC-A36F-3BF28DE60A21.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
How would you like to go to a Scottish Restaurant? No Way!

McDonalds?
The Pibroch in Edinburgh is a most excellent Scottish Restaurant.

View attachment 590626

View attachment 590627

View attachment 590625
Are your house guests American? What do they think of Yorkies?
I used to make a Sunday roast for my German in Laws (RIP) - they couldn’t get enough of them!

Yes 13..

there is 14 in the list on google but one says takeaway...
Is it "is" or "are" in the list?

Asking for the literate society amongst us..

View attachment 590626

View attachment 590627

View attachment 590625
Just out of curiosity what is your take on the supposedly best way to roast a chicken on the BBQ by ramming a Beer can up its backside?

Screenshot_20210722-111352_Chrome.jpg

Bullshit..

There is 13 Polish restaurants near me and I live in the sticks surrounded by farms between Leeds and York..

Methinks you are entering Pinocchio territory here przyjaciel and very soon will not be able to fit through a door sideways.

Tadcaster is roughly halfway between York and Leeds. No Polish restaurants. One in York and one in Leeds. Two further afield in other parts of Yorkshire (both possibly just shops).

I don't live too far away from Leeds and I have never seen a Polish restaurant anywhere in Yorkshire.

So either you are fibbing your bollox off or Polish eateries have not discovered the internet.

ETA: Due acknowledgements to @beefer

Just out of curiosity what is your take on the supposedly best way to roast a chicken on the BBQ by ramming a Beer can up its backside?

View attachment 590703

I’ve read that view before. If I was using a beer can, I would agree; the surface area of the can at the bottom is too small to heat the beer, so the entire chicken has to heat up to heat the beer.

However, I use a “sittin’ chicken”. This is flared at the base, and has an entirely flat base, not a domed ring. This sits in a drip pan on the heat deflector. In the Minimax, the heat deflector sits directly on the coals, so there is plenty of conducted and radiated heat into the sittin’ chicken, while convected heat that goes round the heat deflector browns the skin. This is in contrast to the pic shown on her page, where it’s all radiated heat.

The real proof of the pudding though is in the clean up. There is less liquid in the sittin’ chicken than went in. Ergo, it evaporated. I don’t think it evaporates very much, to be fair, but it does steam out.

The main thing, however with vertical roasting is that the fat in the bird renders out easily into the drip pan. Horizontal birds retain more fat. Two Thanksgivings ago, I did two turkeys. One horizontal, one on a Sittin’ Turkey (same idea as the chicken one, but much larger):

B27E317F-24E5-4A12-81E7-98796E117C12.jpeg

The vertically roasted bird was much preferred to the horizontal one.

Bit of a long post, but while I can see what she’s saying in the article, she’s only considered an actual beer can, not a vertical roaster, and she doesn’t seem to have covered configuration (and therefore how the heat is delivered) of the grill itself at all.

Are your house guests American? What do they think of Yorkies?
I used to make a Sunday roast for my German in Laws (RIP) - they couldn’t get enough of them!

Yes, they’re American and they like them. I made a tray of 12, and there were none left! I will say it took me a while to figure out how to make them properly, and my earlier attempts were nowhere near as popular.

Same here.

Had German friends staying. They demanded (as only Germans can) roast pork "mit all ze trimminks und ze Yorkshire puddings".

Nah. Can't have Yorkies with pork. "Vy not". OK, Yorkies it is then.

When they had stuffed themselves with pork, roasties, veg etc they then finished off the remaining individual Yorkies with the apple sauce on them. Why not? Glad they enjoyed it.