Tonight I cooked..........

Upon @Lardbeast 's suggestion of what to do with the courgette- I attempted fryiong them in tempura batter.

Had to wingf it a bit as had no fizzy water apart from Apple & Elderflower flavoured fizzy water.

I have learned-

I am shit at making batter
and I am even more shit at getting it to stay on whilst frying.

Tastes nice enough but...looks gash.

View attachment 590325

*Note chip on plate correctly alligned.

About right. Usually quite a bit showing of the veg. Szechuan cook at work does aubergine slices that way with a chili dipping sauce. Lush as fook.

As a four year old used to play with the African Gardener’s kids who were my age. A locust swarm hit Nairobi and they were delighted, ran around catching them pulling off the tail and squeezing out the contents which was like a paste straight into their mouths. I did the same. Later back in the house at lunch time I said I didn’t want any as I was full. My parents then horrified when I told them I had been eating locusts all morning.

Feeling lazy this evening so wanted something quick and easy. I had just seen a microwave hack for 1 minute microwave Hollandaise Sauce and I do Ilike Eggs Bennedict with Ham.

I had frozen Smoked Gammon slices from a Sour Vide Gammon I had previously cooked, I had some left over mushrooms, butter, an egg, slice of bread, and some chef’s lemon juice in a bottle.

Hollandaise is a fiddly sauce to make, and can easily go wrong, and I wanted to try the 1 minute microwave hack that promised to be virtually foolproof. Another 1 minute microwave hack is the poached egg, so this promised to be quick and easy.

It surprisingly was. The mushrooms and toast were simple, the poached egg and the Hollandaise worked out surprisingly well, the gammon was quickly defrosted, and hey presto.

Dinner was quick easy... and tasty.
View attachment 590399
After several hours cleaning out the Microwave as a result of trying to poach eggs in it, (epic fail) the inside looked like the back of a plasterers van.

Have you got the linky things for the 1 minute hack for the Hollandaise Sauce and the poached egg please.

I think I've cracked the ham. Open packet, remove slices, add to toast, place egg and sauce on top. Job done.

Yes watch the egg in the microwave as it cooks, as you have found out things can go explosively wrong. I used 1000 and 50 secs on the microwave and was poised to stop it earlier if it looked like going wrong. You can always stop, check, then continue if not quite done enough.

The Hollandaise sauce hack is very good/easy. I was pleasantly surprised. I melted the butter in the microwave instead of the stove. Luckily do have the wand blender. There are hacks for a no blender version.

Yup, you sound OK on the ham bit. I have a sous vide cooker so buy a smoked gammon, leave it in the wrapping then sous vide at 62C for three hours. Very tender, and tasty, cut into slices, glad wrap and freeze. Defrosts very quickly for ham sandwiches, gammon steaks etc.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes watch the egg in the microwave as it cooks, as you have found out things can go explosively wrong. I used 1000 and 50 secs on the microwave and was poised to stop it earlier if it looked like going wrong. You can always stop, check, then continue if not quite done enough.

The Hollandaise sauce hack is very good/easy. I was pleasantly surprised. I melted the butter in the microwave instead of the stove. Luckily do have the wand blender. There are hacks for a no blender version.

Yup, you sound OK on the ham bit. I have a sous vide cooker so buy a smoked gammon, leave it in the wrapping then sous vide at 62C for three hours. Very tender, and tasty, cut into slices, glad wrap and freeze. Defrosts very quickly for ham sandwiches, gammon steaks etc.
Ah that's where I went wrong with the eggs. Small bowl, no water...Boom...

Upon @Lardbeast 's suggestion of what to do with the courgette- I attempted fryiong them in tempura batter.

Had to wingf it a bit as had no fizzy water apart from Apple & Elderflower flavoured fizzy water.

I have learned-

I am shit at making batter
and I am even more shit at getting it to stay on whilst frying.

Tastes nice enough but...looks gash.

View attachment 590325

*Note chip on plate correctly alligned.

Looks about right for thin batter...... the recipe I got was, saucer of milk, then dip in flour with a pinch of turmeric, then shallow fry.

I've had them in Canadian pubs a few times, and they dip in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs, serve with mayonaise dip.

Looks about right for thin batter...... the recipe I got was, saucer of milk, then dip in flour with a pinch of turmeric, then shallow fry.

I've had them in Canadian pubs a few times, and they dip in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs, serve with mayonaise dip.
You need the tonic water or something with CO2 to give the batter its light fluffy texture.

You two must have been at some right cuntish units, I never saw rationing of any sort anywhere apart from on exercise. To get it in the units, the Master Chef must have been a right tight **** and looking for an MBE for services to MOD budget cuts.
my frist raf posting 82 the slopo WO was in at 0600 to police the hot plate, a year later we were having sea food platters and steak bars to spend the savings iirc every member of his staff got a proper gucci set of cooks knifes and tools in a travel case to spunk the cash before new accounting year,iirc there was a rafcamp where the troops had had enough and just stopped eating it was that bad,that WO was gone 24 hours later,only to be returned with SIB and oc accounts

20210721_183812_compress52.jpg

Cold beef, little potatoes and beans tonight.

Your own spuds ?

I'm working my way through mine at the moment....... couple of years ago, I gave some to my 80 year old neighbour.

She said when she tasted them, she burst into tears, took her right back to when she was a little girl, and her dad grew all his own veg........

After several hours cleaning out the Microwave as a result of trying to poach eggs in it, (epic fail) the inside looked like the back of a plasterers van.

Have you got the linky things for the 1 minute hack for the Hollandaise Sauce and the poached egg please.

I think I've cracked the ham. Open packet, remove slices, add to toast, place egg and sauce on top. Job done.

I'll just leave this here :)

Sometimes you just crave the basics.
Fish Fingers, home made chips and beans. Oh yes.
83FE75A9-1823-47E5-9240-59B48E12234E.jpeg

Bavette steak (Skirt), Chanterelle mushrooms, creamy mashed spuds and 1 minute boiled Asparagus.

Yes did do gravy but not much/enough.

I do peel the hard outer skin off the bottom third of the Asparagus just leaving the heart. Chanterelles dome in 50/50 butter and olive oil, take them out more butter some Garlic salt and crushed black pepper, then the bavette steak goes in when the butter starts to foam.

1min 30secs each side, then out to diagonally slice. Cook even a bit too long and it starts to toughen.

ef3d156e-315b-417a-9e2a-79762adecc34.jpg

Attachments

• 3018f21e-d9c9-4904-a00c-e47db3d7d37e.jpg
    3018f21e-d9c9-4904-a00c-e47db3d7d37e.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Jesus Christ on a stick.. this is like the most British things I have seen on a single plate..
It's lush.
The only thing missing is crusty buttered bread to make fishfinger butties.
Beats pierogi hands down.

Jesus Christ on a stick.. this is like the most British things I have seen on a single plate..
I’ll take that over any of your Polish stuff anyday.
It’s why there are so many Fish and Chip shops here and next to zero Polish Restaurants.
As others have said, why are you here? Stop trolling ffs!

I’ll take that over any of your Polish stuff anyday.
It’s why there are so many Fish and Chip shops here and next to zero Polish Restaurants.
As others have said, why are you here? Stop trolling ffs!
Bullshit..

There is 13 Polish restaurants near me and I live in the sticks surrounded by farms between Leeds and York..