Tonight I cooked..........

Tool

LE
Brunch today - eggy brioche, vanilla yoghurt and black cherry, adorned with roasted flaked almonds.

Attachments

• 20210613_120625.jpg
    20210613_120625.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Meals on wheels for our elderly neighbour.
Chicken Schnitzel and Bratkartoffeln.
F53F7FB9-F8AD-47F0-9022-E224B3FF6B39.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
Brunch today - eggy brioche, vanilla yoghurt and black cherry, adorned with roasted flaked almonds.
Brunch?
That's a pudding.

BarBCue, King prawns(reduced 25p 1/2 kilo) tuna, cod, peppers, onion. Marinade of chili, ketchup etc.
Boiled rice, cold beer.
Well worth the effort

.Edit, that's a soggy green pepper, not a slug.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_202307.jpg
    IMG_20210612_202307.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Kirkz

LE
You're obviously not married to my wife.
I'm happily not married to anyone, thank fcuk.
Is your wife a Septic?
Septics are the only people I know who think massive amounts of sugar is a meal.

Is your wife a Septic?
Septics are the only people I know who think massive amounts of sugar is a meal.

Well my wife is a “Septic” and does not conform to your stereotype.

As for @Tool’s brunch, almonds have very little sugar in them. Black cherries are somewhat tart, so little sugar. Yoghurt does have sugar in it, but it’s derived from the lactose in the milk, not added refined sugar. At least, not in the yoghurt base.

So that leaves the brioche. Which is French :D

Kirkz

LE
Well my wife is a “Septic” and does not conform to your stereotype.

As for @Tool’s brunch, almonds have very little sugar in them. Black cherries are somewhat tart, so little sugar. Yoghurt does have sugar in it, but it’s derived from the lactose in the milk, not added refined sugar. At least, not in the yoghurt base.

So that leaves the brioche. Which is French :D

Non of that stops it being a pudding.
Breakfast is egg and pig.

Kirkz

LE
Try the Dutch (and, in passing, the Afrikaaner deriviatives).
I think they are responsible for the Septics doing it.

@Kirkz - I am curious where you ate when you were over here. Pretty much anywhere, you’d have been able to get bacon and eggs. Granted, there will likely have been other people having pancakes or waffles with maple syrup, but that’s their choice. I don’t imagine you actually looked down your nose at them, that would be as bad as visitors to the UK sneering at the black pudding or shitty coffee.

I think you‘re right about the Dutch (and Belgian) influence with waffles. Same with pigs and chickens, neither are native to North America. Apparently that was the Spanish and Portuguese, which might explain the different butcher cuts between UK and US.

Anyhoo, I‘m happy; I have found a type of bacon that is a bit closer to UK-style back bacon. It’s still streaky bacon, but is cut thickly, so its texture is very similar, rather than the thin shite. Walmart’s own-brand, of all places.

Scrambled egg on toast with bacon this morning:

461B3412-6542-4D64-819A-F56AE8A292FE.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
@Kirkz - I am curious where you ate when you were over here. Pretty much anywhere, you’d have been able to get bacon and eggs. Granted, there will likely have been other people having pancakes or waffles with maple syrup, but that’s their choice. I don’t imagine you actually looked down your nose at them, that would be as bad as visitors to the UK sneering at the black pudding or shitty coffee.

I think you‘re right about the Dutch (and Belgian) influence with waffles. Same with pigs and chickens, neither are native to North America. Apparently that was the Spanish and Portuguese, which might explain the different butcher cuts between UK and US.

Anyhoo, I‘m happy; I have found a type of bacon that is a bit closer to UK-style back bacon. It’s still streaky bacon, but is cut thickly, so its texture is very similar, rather than the thin shite. Walmart’s own-brand, of all places.

Scrambled egg on toast with bacon this morning:

View attachment 581072
As I travelled from the West to the East coast I ate breakfast in many places but mostly in small hotel or motels. Yes there were options in all places for me to find something to eat that I liked including cereal and toast as well as egg and bacon and all the usual pancakes with maple syrup etc, oh and those gopping hash brown things, I even had hash for breakfast in a little eatery in San Francisco with unlimited coffee which I quite enjoyed.

Rab_C

LE
@Kirkz - sneering at the black pudding or shitty coffee.
That really is funny someone from septic land calling British coffee. I have a full array of roasts and beans available to me so the only reason it would be crap is if I made it that way. The perma hot filter stuff in US eateries would strip a table of varnish, no wonder it’s free refills it’s the only way to get rid of it.:p

Edited to add sarcastic emoji.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
That really is funny someone from septic land calling British coffee. I have a full array of roasts and beans available to me so the only reason it would be crap is if I made it that way. The perma hot filter stuff in US eateries would strip a table of varnish, no wonder it’s free refills it’s the only way to get rid of it.
Strangly enough some of the best coffee I've had while out and about was up in the Orkney Isles.

As I travelled from the West to the East coast I ate breakfast in many places but mostly in small hotel or motels. Yes there were options in all places for me to find something to eat that I liked including cereal and toast as well as egg and bacon and all the usual pancakes with maple syrup etc, oh and those gopping hash brown things, I even had hash for breakfast in a little eatery in San Francisco with unlimited coffee which I quite enjoyed.

Hmm, “Hash”? :D

The deep-fried pucks of “hash browns” are a poor substitute for the real thing, which is shredded potato cooked on a griddle, often with ham cubes, onions, mushrooms, peppers etc. A far cry from the plastic pucks, frozen omelette pucks, sausage patties and other assorted garbage, served on a styrofoan plate, that pervades many of the hotel/motels.

I recall being in a Hampton Inn up in Connecticut, and got my ”breakfast”. I looked at it, and thought “no, I have too much respect for myself to eat this shite”, and promptly threw it in the bin. 100 yards away in the parking lot was a proper breakfast place, where I had a slap-up meal. Any hotel that says “breakfast included”, at 2* or below, is likely to be similar. Hilton Garden Inns and Embassy Suites offer a good compromise between food/bar and nightly cost. In the case of Embassy Suites, free beer too :)

Is your wife a Septic?
Italians consume massive sugar hits for breakfast. Chocolate cake, or chocolate croissants with chocolate spread or cream (Cornetti) and succo di frutti (Very sweet fruit juice concentrate), with very sweet coffee.

It really does wake you up though and keeps you going for 45 minutes or so at work until the first caffè break.

Kirkz

LE
Hmm, “Hash”? :D

The deep-fried pucks of “hash browns” are a poor substitute for the real thing, which is shredded potato cooked on a griddle, often with ham cubes, onions, mushrooms, peppers etc. A far cry from the plastic pucks, frozen omelette pucks, sausage patties and other assorted garbage, served on a styrofoan plate, that pervades many of the hotel/motels.

I recall being in a Hampton Inn up in Connecticut, and got my ”breakfast”. I looked at it, and thought “no, I have too much respect for myself to eat this shite”, and promptly threw it in the bin. 100 yards away in the parking lot was a proper breakfast place, where I had a slap-up meal. Any hotel that says “breakfast included”, at 2* or below, is likely to be similar. Hilton Garden Inns and Embassy Suites offer a good compromise between food/bar and nightly cost. In the case of Embassy Suites, free beer too :)
Don't get me wrong, Mukker, I had some fantastic food while over there, mostly by avoiding the usual main stream eateries.
I had a great meal in a family run Italian place in Las Vegas and a really great steak dinner at another family run place in Albuquerque I think.

That really is funny someone from septic land calling British coffee. I have a full array of roasts and beans available to me so the only reason it would be crap is if I made it that way. The perma hot filter stuff in US eateries would strip a table of varnish, no wonder it’s free refills it’s the only way to get rid of it.

I don’t disagree that today, and for the last 15 years or so, that’s been the case in the UK. Prior to that though, the UK needed to pull its socks up in terms of coffee. A military posting to anywhere in Continental Europe would have shown that.

When you say “from Septic land”, you are aware that I’m British by birth, military service and residence for most of my life? I’ve only been over here 16 years. Like anything else, being “outside the bubble” allows a sense of perspective. I can see good and bad in terms of cuisine on both sides of the Pond; it’s not universally good or bad either way.

Latest Threads