Tonight I cooked..........

Snowy.

War Hero
Tonight I made Chicken Panang Curry with jasmine rice.... Never made a Thai before.. got main ingrediants from Chinese supermarket... pleasantly very hot.. hits all the spots.. sweet, sour, spicey... 9/10

20210605_192932.jpg

20210605_192947.jpg

20210605_194233.jpg

20210605_200807.jpg
20210605_200736.jpg

Last edited:
A question for @Lardbeast and any other Saffers or Rhodies.

I spent an all too brief time being a waste of space on a canoe safari operation in Zimbabwe in 1986. Our staff breakfast was tea and some kind of bastard cake/ biscuit called a rusk. They were absolutely delicious, any recipe information would be very gratefully received.

I spent an all too brief time being a waste of space on a canoe safari operation in Zimbabwe in 1986. Our staff breakfast was tea and some kind of bastard cake/ biscuit called a rusk. They were absolutely delicious, any recipe information would be very gratefully received.
Old land rover seat cut up into squares.

Ouma rusks used to be the best but they changed the recipe. Plenty of other recipes on the net. Very traditional Saffer thing but you need to use SA recipes rather than the others which are a bit different.

The buttermilk rusks were nice and you could also get muesli and a few other flavours. For a short while before they changed the recipe they made marmalade rusks which were top notch, but stopped making them and then changed the recipe to a very inferior product.

Snottogram sent, mealy mouthed reply denying everything received months later.

Breakfast this morning. Love the combination of baby tomatoes, pancetta, spring onions and olive oil. Finished off with Burford Brown scrambled eggs.
5FE2D0AE-F461-4A23-8192-38255BE32C73.jpeg

Ouma rusks used to be the best but they changed the recipe. Plenty of other recipes on the net. Very traditional Saffer thing but you need to use SA recipes rather than the others which are a bit different.

The buttermilk rusks were nice and you could also get muesli and a few other flavours. For a short while before they changed the recipe they made marmalade rusks which were top notch, but stopped making them and then changed the recipe to a very inferior product.

I went through a phase of experimenting with rusk (my cardamom ones were delicious) but I could never get the 'softer' texture of Oma's. Mine were always like bathroom tiles. Tasty once you'd broken them up. Good dunked in tea.

Thank you very much, I'll give them a go.

I went through a phase of experimenting with rusk (my cardamom ones were delicious) but I could never get the 'softer' texture of Oma's. Mine were always like bathroom tiles. Tasty once you'd broken them up. Good dunked in tea.

I think Ouma had a bit of lard/shortening in them. Might have been removed and why they're shit and tasteless these days.

Last nights efforts (prodigal mush_lass came to visit)

L'aperitif
20210605_174610_resized.jpg

Pickled beets, fennel and root veg, ricotta.
20210605_185231_resized.jpg

Backed sea bass stuffed with anchovy and rosemary, asparagus with lemon and bay, roasted Jersey royals with mustard and coriander seeds.
20210605_192244_resized.jpg

Toffee meringue, rhubarb, candied pistachios
20210605_202300_resized.jpg

With pancetta? That's a risky business as it so lardy. How did it work out?

Looks great by the way.
It works fine for me (and the missus). Baked in the oven for about 25 minutes, you end up with lots of ‘oily’ juice to pour over the toast - think Mediterranean style sauce. Lovely.

You should have stuck with Farley's.

The special from the Terrace Menu this evening inspired by posts earlier in the week, Sicilian fish stew.
20210606_184829.jpg

Latest Threads