Tonight I cooked..........

20210408_174049_compress13.jpg

Toad in the Hole for us tonight.

Had a load of hot green chilis left over & rather than freeze this many decided to make chili, coconut & garlic chutney.

View attachment 563346View attachment 563347View attachment 563348
It was essence on a falafel & salad wrap with a bit of hummus & aioli last night.

I've been making my own Tabasco type sauce. Dashed good it is too.

Saw a docco on how the real thing is made so gave it a go and it works great, with a few tweaks.

Basically, salted whole chilis left to ferment for six weeks and then pulped, liquor drained off and mixed with vinegar.

What I did was use a mix of Serrano and Habanero chilis, salt and then break them up with a potato masher. Tabasco use sealed wood barrels but I used a plastic bucket with a lid and left it to ferment at room temperature for eight weeks. At the end of that time I got in there with a stick blender and blitzed it all to a thick pulp, added a few drops of liquid smoke to make up for the barrel and then topped off with apple cider and brown vinegar, leaving the pulp in there.

Result is a slightly sweet (because of the chili varieties) and quite chunky Tabasco type clone that is bloody more-ish. Ended up with around five litres of the stuff, of which I've given three litres to friends and family. All those who tried it very complimentary about it and for good reason. Works well on chips, excellent on chook and in marinades, and bloody killer on toasted cheese and tomato sarnies.

There was a great documentary (or possibly segment on The Food Programme) on BBC R4 a few years back about the manufacture of Tabasco. The person in the factory had the most fabulous accent, & probably poured gallons of the stuff on the varmints & critters she prepared for dinner...

There was a great documentary (or possibly segment on The Food Programme) on BBC R4 a few years back about the manufacture of Tabasco. The person in the factory had the most fabulous accent, & probably poured gallons of the stuff on the varmints & critters she prepared for dinner...
I'm a Cholula man myself. Easier on the tastebuds (getting wimpier as I get older) and mixes well with ketchup or mayonnaise for various butties. Enlivens a Korma as well when we have the grandkids.

Kirkz

LE
A chicken, chorizo, cheesy, pasta one pot thingy.
20210408_194300.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Spaghetti Carbonara followed by a cake, with raspberries and local Welsh cream.
47CFAD55-930C-4063-AAC4-7CDD14F68A5A.jpeg
forgot to take a piccy of the spaghetti but trust me it wasn’t as lovely as the cake.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm a Cholula man myself. Easier on the tastebuds (getting wimpier as I get older) and mixes well with ketchup or mayonnaise for various butties. Enlivens a Korma as well when we have the grandkids.
I’m a big fan of Cholua too. I keep far too many chili sauces, really!

Quick and easy supper this evening. On the plate within 10 minutes!
Gnocchi with pancetta and onions with tomato and mascarpone sauce. Lovely.
7AEE04C3-51C1-4BB8-96CC-EA296A4E8F0E.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jambalaya
3d300037-e1e8-4147-8ee5-ed614a60ebfb.jpg

Latest Threads