Tonight I cooked..........

Waxy potatoes, I used Charlotte's,
a clove of garlic sliced
juice of two lemons
good slug of olive oil
a couple of bay leaves and good sprinkle of oregano
salt and pepper to taste.

In the oven for an hour at 180° uncovered. If you are just cooking the potatoes add a half glass of white wine then another half an hour or so.

If cooking with lamb chops, after an hour add the half a glass of white wine, the chops on top of the potatoes that have been turned and a squeeze of another half a lemon and salt and pepper on the chops. Cover with foil and back in the oven. After that turn the lamb, back in the oven for another half an hour uncovered, turning the chops half way through.

Cheers mate!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
1614533637586.png

Beef Madras, wholegrain rice, poppadoms , mango chutney

Tear and share garlic bread type rolls from a recipe shamelessly stolen from the Torygraph...
IMG_20210227_200005770_BURST001_resize_31.jpg

JB

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_200005770_BURST001_resize_31.jpg
    IMG_20210227_200005770_BURST001_resize_31.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 9
Saw this the other day....
Made me laugh. Proper made faggots are lovely.
Roger Hale, Family Butchers, Wotton-under-Edge High Street, dinner in our house every Wednesday.

40 years on, I went back and they were still there and still bloody marvellous.

Tonight's efforts

Chicken, broad beans, mustard sauce
20210228_174844_resized.jpg

Remainder of last night's rice pudding
20210228_184531_resized.jpg

Anyone who tells you that Britain doesn't lead the world in culinary excellence show them this.....

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyone who tells you that Britain doesn't lead the world in culinary excellence show them this.....

Perhaps if you posted that in the Tonight I didn't Cook thread it might look better.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
Still shellfish though. Not fish per se, but surely close enough for Fish Friiday?
To be honest I eat very little fish as it's far from my favourite food but I do like sea food like prawn, shrimp, scallops etc.

Roger Hale, Family Butchers, Wotton-under-Edge High Street, dinner in our house every Wednesday.

40 years on, I went back and they were still there and still bloody marvellous.

I think butchers shops must be the single most durable retail outlets on any high street.

Where I live now the two butchers are the only remaining shops from decades ago (although the small town lost its tripe and heel shops many years ago). All the others have changed usage.

I was looking around the small shopping centre near where I grew up and the only original shop from my youth is the butchers.

Screenshot (44).png

Been there for about a hundred years. The website says they are only 60+ years old but they were Tupper Bros. before the current name (there was a family bust up of some sort) and my granny was using them in 1926 when she moved to a new house nearby. My granny claimed that Tuppers sausages got the family through WWII (although other people claimed they were truly mystery bags).

There used to be adverts in American comics from the sixties urging the yoof to become butchers as "you will never be out of work". Seemingly a reasonable claim, although most comic reading spods would have preferred to be an astronaut.

I think butchers shops must be the single most durable retail outlets on any high street.

Where I live now the two butchers are the only remaining shops from decades ago (although the small town lost its tripe and heel shops many years ago). All the others have changed usage.

I was looking around the small shopping centre near where I grew up and the only original shop from my youth is the butchers.

View attachment 553567

Been there for about a hundred years. The website says they are only 60+ years old but they were Tupper Bros. before the current name (there was a family bust up of some sort) and my granny was using them in 1926 when she moved to a new house nearby. My granny claimed that Tuppers sausages got the family through WWII (although other people claimed they were truly mystery bags).

There used to be adverts in American comics from the sixties urging the yoof to become butchers as "you will never be out of work". Seemingly a reasonable claim, although most comic reading spods would have preferred to be an astronaut.

There are no independent butchers anywhere near me. Most supermarkets will have a butchery counter, but that to me is a different thing. There used to be a meat plant in Knoxville, right downtown, next to the rail yard. The property is part of “Knox Rail Salvage“ now. They buy odds and ends of building materials like tile, doors, kitchen cabinets, sinks etc, and sell them from from some very low rent property. One of the buildings is the old meat plant. I was more interested in the building than the stock. Every room had tiled walls and floor, 4-ft wide entrances and the metal track for moving the carcasses was still there. I could imagine the animals coming in by train, and leaving in boxes by train. A bit sad really, if I think too deeply.

Today the meat industry seems to have consolidated into larger facilities further out of town, and reefer trucks rather than rail. The distribution is through chains of supermarkets rather than wholesale markets and independent retailers. It might be different in some cities/areas, but not round here, more’s the pity.

I imagine it is a lot different in the US.

Based on Sailor Boys frequent jibes I guess you originally came from Lancashire (or thereabouts). I bet there are existing butchers in your original hometown who were there when you were a kid (maybe not UCP though).

The meatpacking industry in America has changed hugely over the last half century, mostly in ways detrimental to the employees and the customers. Eric Schlosser wrote a good book about the decline: Fast Food Nation.

Along with his Chew On This well worth a read for anyone wondering what they shove down their and their kids throats.

Last edited:
There are no independent butchers anywhere near me. Most supermarkets will have a butchery counter, but that to me is a different thing. There used to be a meat plant in Knoxville, right downtown, next to the rail yard. The property is part of “Knox Rail Salvage“ now. They buy odds and ends of building materials like tile, doors, kitchen cabinets, sinks etc, and sell them from from some very low rent property. One of the buildings is the old meat plant. I was more interested in the building than the stock. Every room had tiled walls and floor, 4-ft wide entrances and the metal track for moving the carcasses was still there. I could imagine the animals coming in by train, and leaving in boxes by train. A bit sad really, if I think too deeply.

Today the meat industry seems to have consolidated into larger facilities further out of town, and reefer trucks rather than rail. The distribution is through chains of supermarkets rather than wholesale markets and independent retailers. It might be different in some cities/areas, but not round here, more’s the pity.
A mate of mine is a mixed cattle sheep farmer. A few years ago he was offered good prices by Waitrose for his Aberdeen Anguses. He refused whilst a fellow farmer took up the deal; the reasoning Tom said was because they will tie him in then drop the price per carcass.

Sure enough a few years into the deal matey farmer who took the initial good price was getting just over 50% of that original price but tied into a contract that still had several years to run. Something about the quality of the carcasses has suddenly declined!!

Latest Threads