Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

964ST

War Hero
@padme I have to say that I had to look at your pic of (what is probably very tasty walnut bread, and thanks to the cooking thread I have decided to get the ingredients together to have a go at bread cooking myself! Top thumbsup!)

But the photo looks like something a Doctor would show a venerial disease course as an example!!? Maybe it’s the Counter-top

1613938807839.jpeg

Still going to do my own yeast based food :) :)

Outstanding drills, so impressed with that lot. Have you followed a specific recipe from a book...and are you taking bookings.

TIA
No specific recipes (cerviche is just fish soused in citrus juice, trifle is well, just trifle, the breaded cutlets are just like a schnitzel etc), apart from the anchovy elixir which was take from a Nigella recipe. It was pretty damn fab

I couldn't get 'salt packed' anchovies so I just used a couple of tins of anchovies in oil.

No specific recipes (cerviche is just fish soused in citrus juice, trifle is well, just trifle, the breaded cutlets are just like a schnitzel etc), apart from the anchovy elixir which was take from a Nigella recipe. It was pretty damn fab

I couldn't get 'salt packed' anchovies so I just used a couple of tins of anchovies in oil.
So no bookings then....

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So just 'fried' then. The 'pan' being moot.
No one frys in a fryer these days? pan fried is used to describe being shallow fried in a little oil or butter as opposed to being slung in a pot and drowned in a gallon of red hot oil, hope this helps.

Last edited:
RE: Nigella's Anchovy Gubbins with steak.

Far nicer (IMHO) and easier is Anchovy Butter, quite simply mash a couple of tins of anchovies, having drained the oil from them and using a couple of forks mash them well into half a brick of good, softened, salted butter.

Bring it together into a longish rectangle, cover with clingfilm, roll into a cylinder, wrap the ends around to seal and leave in the freezer.

To use, remove from freezer, slice into rounds, remove clingfilm and place on steak, as the butter slowly into the meat it both moistens and flavours it. Keeps for ages in the freezer too,

I think they have been taken off the market, probably on supposed health grounds.

I used to bung a bottle of salted anchovies on pizzas. I have not been able to buy them for ages.

Tesco used to stock them but stopped (either on health grounds or because of their huge reduction in lines carried).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think they have been taken off the market, probably on supposed health grounds.

I used to bung a bottle of salted anchovies on pizzas. I have not been able to buy them for ages.

Tesco used to stock them but stopped (either on health grounds or because of their huge reduction in lines carried).

Still available on line from various retailers

Google Cetara anchovies....... it's a tiny village on the Amalfi coast, with an anchovy fishing fleet.

They process anchovies in various ways, including colatura di alici, which is a liquid essence made by pressing the fish and drawing it off....... this is a direct link to the garum of roman times.

Went there a couple of years ago, lovely little village.

Google Cetara anchovies....... it's a tiny village on the Amalfi coast, with an anchovy fishing fleet.

They process anchovies in various ways, including colatura di alici, which is a liquid essence made by pressing the fish and drawing it off....... this is a direct link to the garum of roman times.

Went there a couple of years ago, lovely little village.

That reminds me - I have an unopened little container of Gentlemen's Relish! Ahhh!

What I meant was I couldn't find any in the supermarket I was in at the time. BTW I always check to see where the little buggers have been caught. If it's the S Atlantic, they'll be pungent and best used in cooking. If it's the Western Med they'll be sweet and eaten as a snack on toast or on a crouton with a slice of shallot and a dab of cold butter.

Best ones I ever found were these these. Pricey but delicious

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210222_171531.jpg

Sauteed onions and leek with garlic, added passata.
Cooked down, added some sweetcorn.
Threw in cooked penne pasta.
Took off the heat and stirred through flaked hot smoked salmon.

What I meant was I couldn't find any in the supermarket I was in at the time. BTW I always check to see where the little buggers have been caught. If it's the S Atlantic, they'll be pungent and best used in cooking. If it's the Western Med they'll be sweet and eaten as a snack on toast or on a crouton with a slice of shallot and a dab of cold butter.

Best ones I ever found were these these. Pricey but delicious

No-one has yet mentioned the fierce debate as to whether they are pronounced " Ann Chevise" or "Ann Chovies". Probably worth a thread of its own.....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No-one has yet mentioned the fierce debate as to whether they are pronounced " Ann Chevise" or "Ann Chovies". Probably worth a thread of its own.....

To be served with scallops and scones

Lunch today.
Sausages, mash and gravy (sprinkle effect caused by being TOO heavy handed with the garlic pepper).

IMG_1836.jpg

The sausages are worth trying if you're worried about cholesterol. They're very low in saturated fat and taste excellent.

IMG_1834.jpg