Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Getting the butter just soft and thick enough to leave tooth marks when you bite into it.

Which puts me in mind of a rather nice blonde lady in Deppendorfer strasse who would slice white salted butter onto black bread. Mmmmm! (both actually)

TamH70

MIA
Whip the cream to soft peaks first, then add the liquids. Honey should be runny, warm it a tiny bit to help. Not too much or you will cuddle it.

Bloody spellchecker. I put curdle, it put cuddle!! Do not cuddle cream. People will talk.
Oh, I managed to whip the cream, mit the bourbon and the honey, which I had dumped together wholesale into the bowl without doing any research but it wasn't easy. I spent minutes the first time just battering away with my whisk and nowt was happening but my wrists getting sore - certainly with no peaks soft or any kind, so I went online and had a look to find out why I was screwing it all up.

I found a video on YouTube that mentioned adding icing sugar and vanilla extract - of which I had neither, so I whacked in a couple of sachets of white sugar from a supply drop I got a while ago instead just hoping for the best, and about a minute later it worked.

It was nice.

I'll give your method a shot with what's left of my strudel. Well, when I say mine, I mean one I bought from Tesco's. I need to get some filo, decent cooking apples, a few raisins and I'll have a shot at actually creating one from scratch after I get the cranachans figured out.

Call me contrary, but I quite like mayonnaise in place of butter on some kinds of sandwiches. Cold meats, with sliced tomatoes, bell peppers etc. Not for bacon/sausage/cheese variants though.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Call me contrary, but I quite like mayonnaise in place of butter on some kinds of sandwiches. Cold meats, with sliced tomatoes, bell peppers etc. Not for bacon/sausage/cheese variants though.
We have certainly started something here, I too like mayo instead of butter.
But when it comes to bacon between bread no spread at all.
Now for me a “butty”has always been short for saying sandwich, I don’t like the word “sarny’, sounds common. :slow:

Slime

LE
So a bacon sarnie doesn't have butter then? Where do toasties fall on the butter spectrum?

Toasties are like a splinter group of sandwiches :)

They ideally have their butter on the outside of the sandwich so they get a golden crispy outer.

All this talk of sandwiches made me hungry. Egg ‘n bacon banjos:

2E68893B-51BB-41E0-B1FA-2BF77B3FC8D2.jpeg

Maggi Würze, butter and HP on the toast. Yolks mudered:

3E6533B6-8830-4004-8CDF-06626718E29F.jpeg

Fully assembled:

0D27E587-56F3-4960-AAA3-00499B7BC9E2.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
We have certainly started something here, I too like mayo instead of butter.
But when it comes to bacon between bread no spread at all.
Now for me a “butty”has always been short for saying sandwich, I don’t like the word “sarny’, sounds common. :slow:
It is short for sandwich but comes from it being buttered it's the only way to get to butty.
Where do you stand on the Sanger ( Oz for sandwich)

Kirkz

LE
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, a cheese and meatloaf melt ^~

20210126_131831.jpg

I put mayo on both sides of the bread and cooked it in a griddle pan.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Ah but I butter the outside of melts, toasties and panninis makes for a juicer crisper outer.
I used mayo instead, works just as well.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It is short for sandwich but comes from it being buttered it's the only way to get to butty.
Where do you stand on the Sanger ( Oz for sandwich)
Hmm, I don’t speak Aussie so I have absolutely no comment.
You are however very well informed when it comes to various guises of bread products.

Latest Threads