Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

4" of snow = nice long walk = pre-prepared spag bol
20210124_180941_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Meatballs and spaghetti, thought I'd try it with a white sauce for a change.

20210124_200043_copy_706x645.jpg

Nah, I was lying it's cheese sauce.

clothears

War Hero
Just had our Burns supper, Haggis Neeps an Tatties with a small amount of mince so that it was not too dry and a dram of malt to wash it down
Our's will be ready in three hours. Deer in gravy with Haggis on the side. Potato dumplings, mash potato and neeps. Whisky will be in the gravy. Sons in their kilts.

Deer provided by number one son. The vacuum pack of frozen meat was labelled "big ass roast, possibly rump" Just what you expect when the Combat Engineers are doing the butchering. They ground up around 150lbs of meat for sausages, made 50lbs, got bored and the rest went into meatloaf bundles. Son is now down to about 178lbs in his freezer.

clothears

War Hero
Meatballs and spaghetti, thought I'd try it with a white sauce for a change.

View attachment 542635

Nah, I was lying it's cheese sauce.
You tease! After suffering gut issues for years (and I do mean years), my GP decided to have me tested for Celiac Disease. Turns out I'm highly sensitive to egg whites, milk, and peanuts. Had a huge allergic reaction at work last week, wound up getting Covid tested (we all knew it was going to be negative), and am on ten days of isolation leave until "the issue" settles down. Which means clearing out milk, cottage cheese and going crazy trying to figure out what can replace a fried egg sandwich.

Who'd have thought cottage cheese and a boiled egg would nearly kill someone.

Kirkz

LE
You tease! After suffering gut issues for years (and I do mean years), my GP decided to have me tested for Celiac Disease. Turns out I'm highly sensitive to egg whites, milk, and peanuts. Had a huge allergic reaction at work last week, wound up getting Covid tested (we all knew it was going to be negative), and am on ten days of isolation leave until "the issue" settles down. Which means clearing out milk, cottage cheese and going crazy trying to figure out what can replace a fried egg sandwich.

Who'd have thought cottage cheese and a boiled egg would nearly kill someone.
Banjo, ffs it's a banjo!

I am a generally benevolent soul, but, to be honest, I doubt I have ever seen anything ever look less like Jägersoße. It is far too white, the mushrooms need to be sliced and it is nowhere near brown enough. The Schnitzel looks good though! Veal, pork or turkey?

I cheat with my Jaegersosse. Two packets of maggi sauce, sliced fresh mushrooms, and a splosh of red wine. Never any complaints, not even from the cheap seats.

I am a generally benevolent soul, but, to be honest, I doubt I have ever seen anything ever look less like Jägersoße. It is far too white, the mushrooms need to be sliced and it is nowhere near brown enough. The Schnitzel looks good though! Veal, pork or turkey?
Schnitzel is always pork isn’t it? I agree Porkbrain’s sauce looks a little anemic but it had me reminiscing for some of that German grub I enjoyed all those years ago. Might give it a go next week.

Schnitzel is always pork isn’t it? I agree Porkbrain’s sauce looks a little anemic but it had me reminiscing for some of that German grub I enjoyed all those years ago. Might give it a go next week.
Was? A real schnitzel is veal (Kalbsschnitzel). Schweineschnitzel is the poor man's option and turkey is what you get from moslem vendors.

In Germany it’s always pork what has been Schnitzelled. There was a depressing trend for chicken to be hammered flat, breadcrumbed and fried.
The Italians enjoy veal in a schnitzel.
ETA: think I have been beaten to it by @greenbaggyskin

Kirkz

LE
Listen, if I rocked up to the Whitespot in the FoodCourt at work and asked for a banjo, they'd up have me up in the Psych Unit before the cook had stopped laughing. Ask for a Heart Attack in a Bun, and they knew what I want

Breakfast - Triple O's
Then they need educating.
It's an egg banjo.

Was? A real schnitzel is veal (Kalbsschnitzel). Schweineschnitzel is the poor man's option and turkey is what you get from moslem vendors.
In Germany it’s always pork what has been Schnitzelled. There was a depressing trend for chicken to be hammered flat, breadcrumbed and fried.
The Italians enjoy veal in a schnitzel.
ETA: think I have been beaten to it by @greenbaggyskin

There is an assessment from some professional body regarding the quality of a restaurants schnitzel. They are, I believe, allowed to display a plaque of some kind outside their establishment to show that they have the award. A bit like Michelin stars though specifically only for schnitzel.

The management of our boutique would like to apologise most profusely for the ghastly anaemic excuse of a sauce that our erstwhile chef had the temerity to slop on to a plate.

He was advised, in no uncertain terms, to add a splosh of HP to the mushrooms that he was far too lazy to slice,

Due to this he has been suitably chastised, having been hanged, drawn and quartered and placed in a hanging basket outside the Rathaus, where his remains will remain until they apologise.

We are, however, extremely pleased that you approved of the appearance of the schnitzel.

Sadly, Ermintrude, formerly my pet gannet, was given her last starring role due to the exigencies of Brexit.

You just can't get the Scottish fish these days.

There is an assessment from some professional body regarding the quality of a restaurants schnitzel. They are, I believe, allowed to display a plaque of some kind outside their establishment to show that they have the award. A bit like Michelin stars though specifically only for schnitzel.
Now, that doesn’t surprise me. If one was feeling indisposed to these types, there is a possibility of some slogan attached to said breadcrumbed and battered flat meaty comestibles.
There almost certainly isn’t, what with our Germanic cousins having a bit of humour and that.

Ten pounds of marmalade.

Roast pork and vegetables, best crackling I have ever done.

Sorry didn't think to photograph pork until it was eaten, marmalade all stowed in cupboard.
Here's a bottle of wine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210120-205658~2.png
    Screenshot_20210120-205658~2.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 12
Ten pounds of marmalade.

Roast pork and vegetables, best crackling I have ever done.

Sorry didn't think to photograph pork until it was eaten, marmalade all stowed in cupboard.
Here's a bottle of wine.
Not a great wine corked and hard to swallow

BBQ rotisserie chicken this evening. I took a bit of a punt, and brushed it with HP sauce and sprinkled it with BBQ rub before cooking. Worked out pretty well. The sugar in the sauce has caramelized, and it tasted pretty good.

4CC9E357-F63D-4119-B60F-0BB4A87F955B.jpeg

Oh yes, nearly forgot. Yorkshire puddings. Yay, I have definitely cracked them!!!

BD788E66-31E6-48A3-8994-8BF27D3A45DB.jpeg

Turned out just fine. Served with mashed spuds (with ham, onion & herbs), carrots, broccoli, stuffing balls and gravy. Small glass of wine.

4B5936F9-F782-44C3-A0FA-7330AB8E185D.jpeg

Latest Threads