Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

@Tedsson

Is there saffron in the tagine (for want of a better word). Turmeric?
No, I use this, as recommended by my Moroccan green grocer:

CF1E64EB-D50F-4C4D-9C72-B1D07CEF663D.jpeg

Went back a couple of decades and brought this Pavlova back with me ...
47D4B1AA-BADE-42E5-84F6-EB0EB1B196B6.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Mincemeat was originally exactly that - minced/chopped meat with available fruits and wine/vinegar.

A recipe from the 1500s.

Pyes of mutton or beif must be fyne mynced & seasoned with pepper and salte and a lytel saffron to colour it / suet or marrow a good quantitie / a lytell vynegre / pruynes / great reasons / and dates / take the fattest of the broath of powdred beefe. And if you will have paest royall / take butter and yolkes of egges & so to temper the floure to make the paest.

The wholly fruit version (+suet) we use nowadays is a 20th Century development.
I know that about mince pies but will now have to go and study Black Bun!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you have a vast cellar - seems to be a different bottle of hooch in every shot!?
Nope. When I'm out getting the rations in on a Saturday morning I'll pick up a bottle to go with the starter, one for the main, and another for Sunday's meal.

The aperitifs, the current mrs_mush always has a chilled, bone-dry sherry, and I'll make do with whatever I can dig out from the back of the drinks cupboard.

Last edited:
курица по-киевски, салат, чипсы

kiev.JPG

с майонезом товарищ

(Oddly it looks a lot darker than it was - crap iPhone camera I guess)

I wish I could find ground saffron. I can find the stems, but they’re insanely expensive. I end up using turmeric, which gives a nice yellow shade, but not the same as saffron.

Saw this on Facebook....... not sure if it's yet another scam from the bloody Chinese.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Just had our Burns supper, Haggis Neeps an Tatties with a small amount of mince so that it was not too dry and a dram of malt to wash it down

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Just had our Burns supper, Haggis Neeps an Tatties with a small amount of mince so that it was not too dry and a dram of malt to wash it down
I hope you addressed the Haggis respectfully!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210124_165321.jpg

Turkey thigh, filleted, stuffed and wrapped in bacon glazed with a BBQ sauce.

20210124_173430.jpg

Oat pancakes, ice cream and cherries. The cherries were marinaded in spiced rum and brown sugar before being simmered for a few minutes

In a time BC (before COVID), we very often had the family around on a Sunday for a Roast Dinner. Friday night was always a Fish Supper. Not at the moment, sadly. It’s usually just me and the Frau now (nowt wrong with that!) so we eat what we fancy and sod tradition. Today’s main meal is a nice bit of M&S Fish in Beer batter, home made chips and Mushy peas from Nisa. Lovely.
8D2E6E11-96A2-4072-ADA6-6D8B25F6D950.jpeg

Latest Threads