Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Last nights supper - Chicken Risotto.
This mornings breakfast. Roast Tomatoes, Pancetta and Spring Onions on Rye and Wheat dark sourdough toast.
C6A3C2E1-F6B9-4301-B845-09126AAD5C8E.jpeg
836DE4AD-7440-4778-AAFD-11F7E176586D.jpeg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I actually put this in the I Didn't Cook thread ('cos it's not mine) but then I thought:
To hell. It reminds me of Arrsers so . . .
specs bread.jpg

Last night's efforts

L'aperitif
20210123_171051_resized.jpg

Smoked salmon and ginger
20210123_193946_resized.jpg

Duck breast, dauphinoise potty toes, caramelized celeriac.
20210123_201159_resized.jpg

Baked plums with ginger, vanilla ice cream
20210123_205024_resized.jpg

ETA - It is actually chicory on the plate alongside the duck. I blame the predictive text on the phone

Last edited:
Dippy eggs with squaddies for breakfast
20210124_102232_resized.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve never had a risotto, I do fancy it but won’t have one any time soon either because of my low carb diet, looks nive.
Nice? I enjoy making risotto, because it needs a bit of care and attention when adding the stock gradually - not the sort of dish you can leave to itself.
We had a bit of leftover rotisserie Chicken which we bought the day before, so it was a good way of using it up with some onion, celery and peas. Towards the end of cooking (about 30 mins), I added some butter and Parmesan to enrich the Risotto. Very nice and moreish, but as you say, one to be avoided on your current eating plan.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice? I enjoy making risotto, because it needs a bit of care and attention when adding the stock gradually - not the sort of dish you can leave to itself.
We had a bit of leftover rotisserie Chicken which we bought the day before, so it was a good way of using it up with some onion, celery and peas. Towards the end of cooking (about 30 mins), I added some butter and Parmesan to enrich the Risotto. Very nice and moreish, but as you say, one to be avoided on your current eating plan.
Sorry, it looked blooming lovely. :hungry:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I stopped eating soldiers, such a bloody nuisance and mess spreading the butter on them.
Butter the bread before cutting it into soldiers, silly!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

A grated courgette cooks down nicely in a risotto, thickens it up.

It's only the second time I have made it. I can see that it would be good in hungry times, very filling.

Did we have much dried fruit back then? Would it have been for the wealthy only?

Mincemeat was originally exactly that - minced/chopped meat with available fruits and wine/vinegar.

A recipe from the 1500s.

Pyes of mutton or beif must be fyne mynced & seasoned with pepper and salte and a lytel saffron to colour it / suet or marrow a good quantitie / a lytell vynegre / pruynes / great reasons / and dates / take the fattest of the broath of powdred beefe. And if you will have paest royall / take butter and yolkes of egges & so to temper the floure to make the paest.

The wholly fruit version (+suet) we use nowadays is a 20th Century development.

You vill spill ze beans, ja?

27e43b633237e9755b211e48d5200978.jpg

30% eggs, 35% flour, 35% milk (by volume). Dash of salt. Blitz with stick blender so bubbles form. Teaspoon of lard in each pot thingy in the baking pan. Put in oven, set oven to 425F. When the fat is smoking, pour batter into pots. One key thing I found is to pour centrally in each pot, you want the fat to come up the sides of the pot. If it’s a little off-center, or there’s not quite enough fat in the pot, it will snag on the side of the pot as it rises, making the misshapen ones that I got on a couple of them.

We’re having chicken tonight, but fvck it, I want to try them again just to see if it’s repeatable.

A grated courgette cooks down nicely in a risotto, thickens it up.
Far too healthy.

Cut the butter (about 1/4 of a stick for a risotto for two) to be added into 1cm dice and freeze. When ready beat the cubes in one at a time. Nice thick and glossy emulsion forms.

Latest Threads