Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Corned beef roll with lettuce, jalapenos, mustard and a hint of Tabasco. I'm pretty sure Kirkz is going to be annoyed as a) it's technically assembled, not cooked b) the mustard was Dijon and therefore fFrench and c) no cheese was involved. Tasty though.

cornedbeef.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Corned beef roll with lettuce, jalapenos, mustard and a hint of Tabasco. I'm pretty sure Kirkz is going to be annoyed as a) it's technically assembled, not cooked b) the mustard was Dijon and therefore fFrench and c) no cheese was involved. Tasty though.

View attachment 540021
Correct on point A, it should be in the didn't cook thread.
Points B and C depend on one preference.
Point B means you are good with colours and soft furnishings.
Point C means you are not familiar with the amount of free cheese from supermarket bins.
Point C is forgivable. A and B are not.

View attachment 540021

How did you get those big slices of Corned Dog? or is the photo deceptive? I know such things as catering cans of Corned Dog exist, but you’re need to be feeding a cookhouse to make them worthwhile.

Tonight's efforts

L'aperitif
20210116_171412_resized(1).jpg

Baked goat's cheese
20210116_190341_resized.jpg

Sirloin au poivre
20210116_192538_resized.jpg

Cherry clafoutis
20210116_204618_resized.jpg

How did you get those big slices of Corned Dog? or is the photo deceptive? I know such things as catering cans of Corned Dog exist, but you’re need to be feeding a cookhouse to make them worthwhile.
I think it's a scale thing, it's only on a side plate. Slices were approximately 5" x 4" and then folded in half.

View attachment 540021
I'm guessing that...you are someone who is not troubled with sleeping next to a female form...or anyone for that matter?!

I'm guessing that...you are someone who is not troubled with sleeping next to a female form...or anyone for that matter?!
No idea what you mean, I didn't even finish the leftover curried beans.

So 5x4 would be the catering size. Retail cans are maybe 3.5 x 2”. You feeding a cookhouse?
Nope, pack of 6 slices from Lidl, no cans involved.

Aha. Gotcha.

The world has moved on, since I departed those fair shores, it seems. Can’t buy that here. Just the small cans, and even then, not that prevalent.

“Corned Beef” most certainly available, but by that they mean the Jewish-style “salt beef” - horrid, bland shit. Pastrami on the other hand is the same thing with seasoning on the outside, much preferable.

I assume they still sell the cans? Or have they gone the way of the Dodo, what with them having a plethora of sharp edges, and an absolute CVNT to open if you’ve picked up the one can that doesn’t have the key?

Kirkz

LE
I assume they still sell the cans? Or have they gone the way of the Dodo, what with them having a plethora of sharp edges, and an absolute CVNT to open if you’ve picked up the one can that doesn’t have the key?
Still selling them, still chucking them in the bin for being dented too.

20210116_233209_copy_515x663.jpg

Kirkz

LE
I'm not one for expiry dates, but even I would be wary of corned dog that expired 08/07/20, the bloody stuff will have grown new fur and be chasing you around the kitchen....

JB
Extra ten points for thr use by date,
It's frozen.
Most of the stuff I get from the bins is short dated so goes straight in the freezer.
I've had that much free stuff I just haven't got round to using that corned beef yet.
If it goes bad I can just chuck it out again and I've still lost nothing.

Last edited:

clothears

War Hero
OK, I'm going to be boring. When I was a little girl back in the late 60s, you could get corned beef slices in the butchers or the deli section in Safeway. Canada has changed a lot since then. The canned stuff is still found, it's no longer cheap, usually around $3.99 each. Lately we've seen it from Brazil and France (of all places). It seems to be big in the Caribbean food stuffs aisle and coworkers from the Phillipines like it.

In Walmart, it's cheaper to get it under the Grace brand in the Caribbean foods section.

Nice to see an trusty old skool saucepan!

Funny thing language. We'd call that a pot. Don't really use saucepan much. A pan is what we use to fry things and what you would likely call a skillet.

So 5x4 would be the catering size. Retail cans are maybe 3.5 x 2”. You feeding a cookhouse?

Or just use a tin of bully per serving, thick sliced and layered to overlap. Plenty of Tabasco, bit of mayo and green stuff to taste. The jalapenos are a nice touch, although I'm not a fan of the pickled ones. Fresh jalapeno, sliced and slathered with Branston pickle or hot English mustard would do the trick.

Latest Threads