Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
By the time you've done all that I'd have eaten it washed up and been on my 3rd pint.
Well, I am retired so don't have to rush about as much as a busy postie!

By the time you've done all that I'd have eaten it washed up and been on my 3rd pint.
Nope, 5 mins effort each step. Just spread out over 24 hours. I'd be on my 2nd bottle of wine before I plated it (in your dreams mush, in your dreams. Current mrs_mush)

quilter

War Hero
I don't think it is a shame just to roast it as it is.

The real joy of pork belly is the crackling. It probably has the highest crackling/meat ratio of any cut of pork.

Instead of trying to cook it with sauces, marinades etc just treat it for what it is, a tasty piece of meat.

Just roast it and serve with various sauces: apple, mustard, bread sauce, gooseberry sauce. And gravy, obvs.

If the skin hasn't turned into a sheet of gorgeous crackling take it off while the meat is resting and put it back in a high oven or do both sides under the grill.

Sometimes simplest is bestest.
An ex refugee from Yugoslavia once suggested that a fab sauce/accompaniment for roast pork of any cut is apricot puree with a measure of slivovitz (added to the apricots not necessarily supping it ) , I tried it and it was wonderful. Just saying. Enjoy!

Notice my caving in to the nattering from Mrs RR to eat healthy, namely the salad.
Not shown is the pint of draught guinness.
1610752051491.png

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
An ex refugee from Yugoslavia once suggested that a fab sauce/accompaniment for roast pork of any cut is apricot puree with a measure of slivovitz (added to the apricots not necessarily supping it ) , I tried it and it was wonderful. Just saying. Enjoy!
I could try that next time. If there is a next time after the marmalade/elderberry vinegar concoction I created yesterday is scoffed.

Lucky to have a hubby who lived on ACC cooking for many years (with apologies to @Joker62 ;-) )

Hmmm not too sure if I’ll be forgiven, this is a meal kit from Rick Stein so only sort of warmed and plated by me.
Starters moules mariniere
View attachment 539635
Main, Indonesian fish and prawn curry with rice and salad.
View attachment 539636
Duff
Passion fruit Eaton mess.
View attachment 539638
Came with a bottle of wine to cook the mussels in.
Not cheap but well worth it for a special lock down night in.
I’ve just checked the site out - thanks for the tip. That’s our Anniversary meal sorted out in a few months time! I’ll tip the ‘kids’ to get me RS Vouchers and then go for the Lobster Meal with a bottle of Cloudy Bay!

Rab_C

LE
I’ve just checked the site out - thanks for the tip. That’s our Anniversary meal sorted out in a few months time! I’ll tip the ‘kids’ to get me RS Vouchers and then go for the Lobster Meal with a bottle of Cloudy Bay!
I have ordered the lobster meal for my mother for her birthday. There was a whole bottle of wine included just for the glass full needed for the mussels. Really clear instructions and simple to prepare.

Bacon and eggs breakfast
20210116_093343_resized.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Leek and potato soup started.

20210116_143100_copy_666x948.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
16108130082924119115864953072182.jpg

Tonight shall be
Steak garnished with haggis
Baked potato
Corn on the cob
Mushrooms and onions

Kirkz

LE
Done.

20210116_164814_copy_693x686.jpg

Hopefully it'll be nice with some cheese in it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
Nice to see an trusty old skool saucepan!
That pan is older than me.
It was my Mums, iirc she got a set of them as a wedding present.

A light supper this evening. Steamed then buttered Asparagus wrapped in crispy Serrano Ham.
3BEF665A-3F3B-4EAF-8F41-E6CD3AAA7C0E.jpeg

A light supper this evening. Steamed then buttered Asparagus wrapped in crispy Serrano Ham.
View attachment 540007
Execllent!

Just one small (minor) pickup point if I may though.

Spargel should always point towards the 9-o-clock position on the plate.
If correctly aligned would of course be West.
Lowermost one is pushing it's luck a bit also. Needs a bit taking off the bottom and dressing back a few paces.

:)

Edit- I realise thats 2 points.
I'm doing a 2 for 1 deal at the moment- you're welcome :)

Latest Threads