Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Tonight, I made a Madras curry, (Indy grand, sauce in a bag)
It was sweat inducingly spicy, delicious , first thing it did was cause my blocked nose to start to empty , and when I'd finished I went into the bathroom , hawked up that lump of non !moving lung butter that has been choking !e for a week(bronchitis is a bastard this year, never seeming to feck off)

The curry was good, the after effects were fabulous. Hopefully a complete nights sleep tonight for a change

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Folks, could I request your help please?

In a fit of madness yesterday I bought a chunk of pork belly to cook slowly for tomorrow's supper. It was cheap and looked nice, but I haven't tackled one before.

Please let me have your recipes for something to rub into it/marinade it in, before I cook it? Seems a shame just to sprinkle with salt and cook on onion and apple.

Many thanks
GRB.

Please let me have your recipes for something to rub into it/marinade it in, before I cook it? Seems a shame just to sprinkle with salt and cook on onion and apple.

I don't think it is a shame just to roast it as it is.

The real joy of pork belly is the crackling. It probably has the highest crackling/meat ratio of any cut of pork.

Instead of trying to cook it with sauces, marinades etc just treat it for what it is, a tasty piece of meat.

Just roast it and serve with various sauces: apple, mustard, bread sauce, gooseberry sauce. And gravy, obvs.

If the skin hasn't turned into a sheet of gorgeous crackling take it off while the meat is resting and put it back in a high oven or do both sides under the grill.

Sometimes simplest is bestest.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

In a fit of madness yesterday I bought a chunk of pork belly to cook slowly for tomorrow's supper. It was cheap and looked nice, but I haven't tackled one before.

Many thanks
GRB.
I would agree with @Tedsson , there are many ways of ensuring the crackling is great, I normally use this one from the Beeb, as long as you aren't fussed about the temperature changes, it always works for me.

Last night's dinner was Pork Schnitzel, Boulanger potatoes and a can of "I can't be arrsed". The question of "gravy/sauce"? was asked, and the consensus was no, there's enough liquid in the spuds. Having then consumed it, I think I disagree, and a mushroom cheese sauce would have been a good thing.

IMG_0139.jpg

Many thanks
GRB.

Use some of your delicious marmalade. I discovered a dip made from "orange jam" and chili powder, it was delicious. Something like this:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another minimum thought effort. Some chopped up chicken breast stir-fried in the wok* with leftover veg. Hugely tasty.

*Large frying pan.

Fj1PPqF.jpg

Chicken Curry (made yesterday), Basmati, Naan and some allotment green beans from the freezer, to add a bit of variety.
D47D7E83-E592-4A38-AE3C-51AFF3455ABC.jpeg

Doesn't every right-thinking person? Go Habs Go!
Certainly had our number Wednesday night, we are bloody lucky. You were robbed.

On pork belly I have tried a few fancy smanchy recipes off the internet but I never seem to get it right. The cooking time never comes out well and hurried back in or dry as toast result. I’m going to just go simple roast next time, it’s a great piece of meat.

Many thanks
GRB.
Cant help with any cooking suggestion, but I'm on my way ! :D :D :D :D :D

Rab_C

LE
Hmmm not too sure if I’ll be forgiven, this is a meal kit from Rick Stein so only sort of warmed and plated by me.
Starters moules mariniere
4BE31EA3-E96F-42A9-9175-23384EC61A5C.jpeg

Main, Indonesian fish and prawn curry with rice and salad.
D5DC0694-7599-4875-AE6A-E1C117181958.jpeg

Duff
Passion fruit Eaton mess.
D325A74D-56A7-4E6A-A2D4-F58B17F29D19.jpeg

Came with a bottle of wine to cook the mussels in.
Not cheap but well worth it for a special lock down night in.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Chicken and mushroom casserole, served with mashed carrot and swede
20210115_181118_resized.jpg

Many thanks
GRB.
Personally I rub in salt, ground pepper and something aromatic like fennel seeds in the night before.

Next day, pour over a kettle of boiling water and then pat dry.

Place in a roasting dish, whatever, pour in a pint of boiling water, a glass of white wine, and add some aromatics: sage, thyme whatever.

Cover with foil, cook in low oven 160 (140 fan) four 3-4 hours.

Remove skin, cut into portions and put in a hot oven whilst meat rests between two plates with a weight on (I use a saucepan full of water), 30-45 mins at least.

Make gravy whilst the crackling cooks. Slice meat, add any juices to gravy, wrap meat in foil and reheat in oven with crackling for last 10 mins. Serve.

Enjoy.

Think something like this
img27287.640x462.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Personally I rub in salt, ground pepper and something aromatic like fennel seeds in the night before.

Next day, pour over a kettle of boiling water and then pat dry.

Place in a roasting dish, whatever, pour in a pint of boiling water, a glass of white wine, and add some aromatics: sage, thyme whatever.

Cover with foil, cook in low oven 160 (140 fan) four 3-4 hours.

Remove skin, cut into portions and put in a hot oven whilst meat rests between two plates with a weight on (I use a saucepan full of water), 30-45 mins at least.

Make gravy whilst the crackling cooks. Slice meat, add any juices to gravy, wrap meat in foil and reheat in oven with crackling for last 10 mins. Serve.

Enjoy.

Think something like this
View attachment 539663
By the time you've done all that I'd have eaten it washed up and been on my 3rd pint.

Made some 'Russian' rye bread earlier, I don't know why they bothered with nuclear weapons when a tin of black treacle can destroy a kitchen in minutes.

A lazy scoff followed.

DSCN5739.JPG

DSCN5744.JPG

Latest Threads