Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Simple supper, which is a regular for us. Salmon, cous cous and vegetables.
CC46357A-6A08-4621-B1FA-61A22301253F.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Right, the other day was Saint Andrew’s Day so it had to be haggis and neeps:

1607200423320.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Followed the next morning by haggis/beep/tatties B&S plus a poached egg....

1607200543927.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Encouraged by @Humble Tiller and his orzo pasta - sausage and sundried tomato casserole with orzo. Served with garlicky mustard stir-fried cabbage (in bowls with writing).
20201205_183950_resized.jpg
20201205_183952_resized.jpg

If you can get your hands on one of these a good days work.

1607205910206.png

Cast Iron weighs in at 9lbs. It frys and slow cooks. Made by Breville Australia in the early eighties.
Come up on ebay at intervals . We had one in use when the kids were growing up used regularly for over 20 years. Bought another and a spare (missus doesn't know about that). In my view the Rolls Royce of slow cookers. Will cope with a whole roasting joint.

Breville Frypan CP1

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 526494

Cast Iron weighs in at 9lbs. It frys and slow cooks. Made by Breville Australia in the early eighties.
Come up on ebay at intervals . We had one in use when the kids were growing up used regularly for over 20 years. Bought another and a spare (missus doesn't know about that). In my view the Rolls Royce of slow cookers. Will cope with a whole roasting joint.

Breville Frypan CP1
Looks a bit like the Czech Remoska now sold in the UK by Lakeland at great prices. (Great meaning large, rather than super).

Continental Breakfast this morning - qualifying criteria for the thread, I cooked the eggs! :-D
1DF4945F-10E5-4DCA-B6C7-2329D76ACFFC.jpeg

View attachment 526494

Breville Frypan CP1

Missus decided to slow cook a large piece of beef in the above. Sets to max to caramelise then turn down to slow cook. Off we go to Boston hospital for me to have a torn retina sorted, about a one hour drive.
Half way there I ask did you remember to turn the slow cooker down from max to slow cook?
"Oh f*ck" said it all. Too late to turn back so a hair raising drive to the hospital, hand brake turn ejecting me in the car park and back home she goes. Two hours later she is back and the op has been done.
Never asked how much smoke was in the kitchen. Some things are best left unsaid.
The upside was that the end result was fantastic, however I would not recommend this cooking technique.

Apparently you can use it as an oven for baking cakes but I have never tried it.
I can feel an experiment comming on.

Last edited:
Last night's efforts

L'aperitif
20201205_171719_resized.jpg

Chicory, chestnut, ricotta and Parma ham salad
20201205_185844_resized.jpg

Rack of lamb, Hasselbeck potato, roasted radishes, shallot, carrot garlic and lemon courgette
20201205_193120_resized.jpg

Some brie and honey
20201205_200819_resized.jpg

Upside down pineapple and ginger cake
20201205_211555_resized.jpg

Latest Threads