Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Slow cooked beef stew. Onions caramelised, beef browned in seasoned flour then added to onions with two cans of Guinness, a couple of teaspoons of non-lumpy Branston pickle, 2 beef stock pots and a good helping of Worcestershire sauce. Simmered on lowest heat setting for ages, beef melts in mouth and it's gravy turned up to 11.

Onions (raw)
View attachment 523496
Onions (cooked)
View attachment 523497
Beef (cooked, half of)
View attachment 523498
All mixed together (start of slow cooking)
View attachment 523499
Final result
View attachment 523500

Do a load of kidneys with the beef and chuck in a couple of cloves and some ground coriander seed. Everything else as is, although you can dispense with the Branston. Worcestershire sauce does the trick there.

ETA: Go sparingly on the ale. Better if you neck most of it and use just a splash for colour and flavour. The hops tend to make the dish bitter if you overdo it. At most I use 50/50 ale and stock or water, and even that can be too hoppy with more delicate flavours like chicken or prawns.

Best snake and pygmy ever.

P1052850.JPG

Last edited:
Thanksgiving is a done deal. Two turkeys, a ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, twice-baked potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, bacon-wrapped asparagus, broccoli, pigs in blankets, deviled eggs, rolls and gravy.

View attachment 524061

Do you perchance actually make the effort to stuff the turkeys and pack a load of the sausage meat around the breast under the skin, or do you prefer to subscribe to the vile septic unnatural practice of making it from a packet of stable sweepings and baking it as a seperate dish?

One of the Canuckistanis out here did it like that one Christmas and had me totally lost as I searched for the stuffing he kept urging me to try. Nothing up the turkey's bum and I kept overlooking the yellow grey muck in a baking tray on the table.

Tasted shit when it was eventually pointed out to me and sampled. Like trying to swallow baked wallpaper paste and sawdust.

Do you perchance actually make the effort to stuff the turkeys and pack a load of the sausage meat around the breast under the skin, or do you prefer to subscribe to the vile septic unnatural practice of making it from a packet of stable sweepings and baking it as a seperate dish?

One of the Canuckistanis out here did it like that one Christmas and had me totally lost as I searched for the stuffing he kept urging me to try. Nothing up the turkey's bum and I kept overlooking the yellow grey muck in a baking tray on the table.

Tasted shit when it was eventually pointed out to me and sampled. Like trying to swallow baked wallpaper paste and sawdust.
You should try the Vegan version. Lush! :dead:

A most excellent spread! Almost reminiscent of the feast depicted on Johnny Cash’s ‘Hurt’ video. I spent a good minute or so scrutinising it for compliance with The Rules and... I’m buggered if I can find anything significant.

maybe one small minor detail that perhaps needs discussing...ahem..
Adidas tracky bottoms at the dinner table?? A guest from Skem perchance? :)

Thank you for the most kind compliment. I must admit, I feared a roasting because a couple of the knives and forks were adrift from the vertical :) As for the tracky bottoms, he’s 17, almost 18, and what in these parts is called a “jock”. He‘s just finished football season, and I really don’t think he has any other trousers :)

@Lardbeast - neither. I don’t stuff the turkey, because I usually roast them vertically. One of these was vertical, the other horizontal; I wanted to try bacon-wrapping it. That didn’t work so well, so I won’t be doing that again. The turkey was fine, but the bacon not so much. However, neither is it a packet mix for the stuffing. That was made from scratch. I posted the other day I made some bread for that express purpose.

@beefer - yes, along with apple pie and chocolate pie. There is nothing left of the apple pie or the chocolate pie, but there’s about a third of the pumpkin pie left. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, and a small slice of the apple pie was my “annual dessert”.

Kirkz

LE
Beef skirt and kidney stew on the go...

20201127_131737_copy_650x1005.jpg

Some kidney and mushrooms to go in later...

20201127_131725_copy_650x1031.jpg

Making some blue cheese dumplings that someone on here mentioned to go in it, will post pics of results later tonight when its had about 7 or 8 hours cooking.

Slime

LE
Tonight I cooked..............pure nostalgia :)

Range stew, sliced white bread, and a drink in a ’58 mug.
I have to admit to taking a liberty with the portion size though :)

F915B92B-AC59-490C-B331-1634E88894B2.jpeg

Tonight I cooked..............pure nostalgia :)

Range stew, sliced white bread, and a drink in a ’58 mug.
I have to admit to taking a liberty with the portion size though :)

View attachment 524213
Liberty? Just a bit. No mess tin or racing spoon, Tiger bread in stead of day old Mother's Pride and I don't think it's raining.

Kirkz

LE
Liberty? Just a bit. No mess tin or racing spoon, Tiger bread in stead of day old Mother's Pride and I don't think it's raining.
Day old? We were still getting Mondays bread on Saturday.

That's why they had Salamanders in the mess, so you could heat up already stale bread and turn it brown.

Slime

LE

You were doing well, but then you embellished your post by deciding what spoon I didn’t or didn’t use hahahahaha.

For info, I used a soup spoon. I can’t do racing spoons or dessert spoons when I’m eating stew indoors.................I’m not a savage :)

View attachment 524211
Pork steak, brown rice, red peppers tonight. I wanted to do the pork with the sous vide, but I seem to have killed it already.
I like that plate. Where did you get it / the set? Looks remarkably like the British Airways 747 First Class crockery they are now selling off to make up for losses.

Luxury. We used to get January’s bread in November!

A most excellent spread! Almost reminiscent of the feast depicted on Johnny Cash’s ‘Hurt’ video. I spent a good minute or so scrutinising it for compliance with The Rules and... I’m buggered if I can find anything significant.

maybe one small minor detail that perhaps needs discussing...ahem..
Adidas tracky bottoms at the dinner table?? A guest from Skem perchance? :)
and drinking from the bottle,are your guests ex pongos ?

Latest Threads