Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

We’re all friends here, (at least on this thread :) ), so all good!

Even @supermatelot, who has been known to try my patience on the odd occasion, as I am sure regular readers will be aware. It warms my heart that at 0108GMT as I write, he will be talking to Chardonnay on 999, who’s ever so pissed off that they won’t let her into the club, despite her being 18. And shiters :)
chardonnay? It was Britanny . And variatiins of spellings

Bed for me now so any pokings wont be responded to until morning..

You loud-shirted beard!

Yes... I know you dont currently have a beard but.... the intent / potential is there.

Lunchtime snack attack! Sweet Chilli Drumsticks and Wings from the Chook used to make a Chicken and Orzo Soup. Waste not, want not!
CC5C5360-1350-431B-A763-FAE4D67C0EB8.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Baking day today. Bread, rolls, steak pie (leftovers again), mincemeat pastries and a first - pork pie.

Hot water crust pastry is easier to make than you might think, but quite difficult to manipulate. I started by using the bowl as a mould, ended up cooking the pie in it! Result is quite pleasing. Lunch tomorrow will be an adventure.
20201125_154740_resized.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Baking day today. Bread, rolls, steak pie (leftovers again), mincemeat pastries and a first - pork pie.

Hot water crust pastry is easier to make than you might think, but quite difficult to manipulate. I started by using the bowl as a mould, ended up cooking the pie in it! Result is quite pleasing. Lunch tomorrow will be an adventure. View attachment 523633

Looks excellent to me.

Rick Stein does a recipe for pork pie which requires half a pound of butter and is a right bastard to mix (but comes good eventually, as if by magic).

Gives an incredibly short pastry, which I love.

The recipe calls for mace and anchovy essence but leaving them out makes little difference.

Best bit is pouring the jelly in through the hole at the top and praying you don't have a leak.

As an aside why do we never eat hot pies with a pork filling (I don't count reheated cold pork pies like the peasantry eat in Yorkshire, which are vile).

Interesting addition of Branson pickle,I take it the sandwich pickle. What does it add flavour wise ?
Same thing but they do a version without chunks that's been blended to a paste. It adds a little bit of vinegary sharpness but also a bit of sweetness that masks the bitter edge that Guinness can sometimes give. I wouldn't bother if using a slightly sweeter beer like Hobgoblin but the Guinness was on sale so easy decision.

It’s Thanksgiving here tomorrow, so a bit of prep going on here today. Got my kids either already in town or coming into town today, so we’ll do cheese Fondue for dinner, and Turkey dinner tomorrow. I think 11 for dinner (no lockdown rules here (yet)), so two medium turkeys and a ham. Turkeys are brining in 5-gallon buckets. Bread for the stuffing and baguettes for the Fondue:

8C54073F-DE3E-425D-A75A-404839EE30BE.jpeg

Edited to add, we had a team building session scheduled for 3PM today, but it was brought forward to 1PM. It was only ever going to be a piss-up via Zoom, so I’ve been on the beer since 1PM today. @supermatelot better not give me any shit :)

Best bit is pouring the jelly in through the hole at the top and praying you don't have a leak.
Leave the pie in the mould until completely cold. I chill mine then poke two holes on opposite sides. The jelly is 6 grams gelatine powder in 300ml chicken stock made from a Knorr stockpot. Only when it is set do I crack the spring mould. That amount of jelly will do two big pies so you may have to adjust.

I gave you a like but also wanted an “interesting” response. Please do tell more, what makes it Bengali?
Well, Madhur Jaffrey names it Bengali stir fried cabbage, but what does she know about Indian food? :grin:

It's from her 1983 Veggie only recipe book the size of half a house brick, the only bit I didn't have is mustard oil, which I haven't seen for ages since a scare about toxic crap in some brands, though that's no doubt dodgy stuff from the sub-continent, but she does say to use any other oil instead.

ETA The ingredients are simple, mustard seeds and bay leaves in the oil until they pop, add shredded cabbage and stir for 5 mins, then add salt, sugar and chopped chillies, cook for another 3 to 5 mins then take off the heat and stir in the fresh coconut.

Last edited:

padme

War Hero
Pumpkin curry, first one, bloody hot as I underestimated the chillis. Used my monsieur-cuisine do make it. Have to work on presentation.

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_191612_478.jpg
    IMG_20201121_191612_478.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Rab_C

LE
Well, Madhur Jaffrey names it Bengali stir fried cabbage, but what does she know about Indian food? :grin:

It's from her 1983 Veggie only recipe book the size of half a house brick, the only bit I didn't have is mustard oil, which I haven't seen for ages since a scare about toxic crap in some brands, though that's no doubt dodgy stuff from the sub-continent, but she does say to use any other oil instead.

ETA The ingredients are simple, mustard seeds and bay leaves in the oil until they pop, add shredded cabbage and stir for 5 mins, then add salt, sugar and chopped chillies, cook for another 3 to 5 mins then take off the heat and stir in the fresh coconut.
Cheers, I was genuinely interested what made it different.

Interesting addition of Branson pickle,I take it the sandwich pickle. What does it add flavour wise ?
As a nipper I always knew when it was nearly payday when mother_mush served us her take on spaghetti neapolitana: a small tin of Heinz tomato soup add to which was a decent handful of grated cheese and two tablespoons of branston pickle. Heated until the cheese melted then served with spaghetti and topped with more grated cheese.

I still cook it for myself occasionally as comfort food.

Last edited:
Leave the pie in the mould until completely cold. I chill mine then poke two holes on opposite sides. The jelly is 6 grams gelatine powder in 300ml chicken stock made from a Knorr stockpot. Only when it is set do I crack the spring mould. That amount of jelly will do two big pies so you may have to adjust.

The Rick Stein recipe leaves a hole in the top of the pastry to pour the jelly through (when the pie has cooled down).

The pie filling uses belly of pork. The jelly is made from the rind of the pork (my butcher gave me some extra rind from the pork supreme things. I never saw the pint of them as the crackling is the best bit) boiled up with some black peppercorns and mace.

If you let the rinds dry out a bit you can roast them or deep fry them for excellent crackling/pork scratchings.

Latest Threads