Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

mack_583

Swinger
A first entry from me on this thread, Chicken and Ham Pie, pre-pastry being added, and then ready for serving

IMG_20201122_182118.jpg
IMG_20201122_190455.jpg

We’ve got Thanksgiving coming up, so we did a monster shop yesterday and cleared out the fridges. This provided an opportunity to use up some expiring spuds and leftover steak and chicken. So here we have what I call ”mashed potato cakes”. Something like twice-baked potatoes, but done with mashed spuds, and baked in a mince-pie type pan.

ED36ED7C-B602-4F52-9C25-46C3AF38C017.jpeg

The steak and chicken went into a pie:

683A6AE9-6037-4E5F-A8AE-54040063D936.jpeg

On the table:

2EA58CE5-A7C9-4CCA-A7D2-895FB6E6C3B1.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In the quest to use up some more of this beef, I’m knocking up an absolutely filthy stew / pie filling.

Home reared beef shorthorn steak.
Bacon.
Red wine.
Shallots.
Home smoked garlic.
Celery.
Carrots.
Mushrooms.
Butter.
Flour.
Bay leaves.
Black Pepper.
Secret ingredient - spoonful of Bovril.

Currently an hour in. I’ll probably roll out some puff pastry “lids” for it later. Can’t be arsed to do an actual proper pie with a bottom etc.

C936054F-55FE-4106-A873-64F26A3E7CD1.jpeg
4EFEAD4E-E63C-41E2-8A61-402480A230AE.jpeg
51C82E41-6964-40AC-B6AB-618EDD60CAE4.jpeg
100A201B-5C29-4236-B29D-F4C2F37F6F94.jpeg

Re:bayleaf - do they actually make a noticable difference? I simply cannot taste them-or do not recognise what to look out for.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Re:bayleaf - do they actually make a noticable difference? I simply cannot taste them-or do not recognise what to look out for.

I think so. I just put them in because most recipes say you should.

There is definitely a slight aroma that they add to the mix.

Next time you make a white sauce or any sauce that uses milk as it's base. Bring the milk up to the boil with a bayleaf or two (fresh if possible - the tree's grow like buggers). Then leave to cool down whilst the flavour infuses. Have a taste, it'll have a slight 'nutmeggy' sort of taste.

Adds a bit of depth/different note to sauces, stews etc.

Next time you make a white sauce or any sauce that uses milk as it's base. Bring the milk up to the boil with a bayleaf or two (fresh if possible - the tree's grow like buggers). Then leave to cool down whilst the flavour infuses. Have a taste, it'll have a slight 'nutmeggy' sort of taste.

Tgank you Egon ;)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Tell me about it, I started off with 2 x 3' "trees", OH took them out of the pots and replanted and now I have 2 trees that need cutting down 3 times a year. I can't even give the cuttings away and there's too many for my own use to dry out and keep.

Reply to @mush_dad s post, but also to all (Is the reply function working as it did?). I rented a house about 20 years ago with a bay tree in the back garden and it grew like mad. We were always cutting the bloody thing back. And as we were renting, we were forbidden to cut it down.
I now buy bay leaves dried and by the big bag from a local ethnic food shop as it‘s way cheaper than anything else. They go in curries, soups, stews, sauces and anything else. If you dig them out after cooking and whack them in your cakehole, they have a strange, subtle spicy and savoury taste that I find slightly moreish. I have forgotten to remove them from soups before blending, and no-one noticed.

Latest Threads