Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

You may not be quite as unique as you think.
Au contraire...

Here is a picture of @Ortholith enroute to work last week, in 1974

2020-10-30 02.29.13.jpg

I must show that to my wife. Her mac 'n cheese is a) cook a pan of elbow pasta. b) drain and melt some cheese in. c) Eat.

Yours looks very good indeed. What goodies lie under the top beyond the sliced tomatoes?
Thankyou. It is basic stuff, a cheese sauce made with full fat milk, Cathedral City Vintage cheddar and a teaspoon of English musrard. On top a few tomatoes and more cheddar with a bit of parmesan.

Au contraire...

Here is a picture of @Ortholith enroute to work last week, in 1974

View attachment 516364

1974? Give over. @Ortholith wasn't even an itch in his Dad's pants in 1974. Also, since JFK appears to be in the photo, and he got deaded in 1963, you're not less than 11 years out. I do like that the Russians made the East Germs go with what they had after the war. Deutsche Reichsbahn would have had W Germans frothing at the mouth if it had continued in the west.

1974? Give over. @Ortholith wasn't even an itch in his Dad's pants in 1974. Also, since JFK appears to be in the photo, and he got deaded in 1963, you're not less than 11 years out. I do like that the Russians made the East Germs go with what they had after the war. Deutsche Reichsbahn would have had W Germans frothing at the mouth if it had continued in the west.
I put it to @Ortholith - to deny he looks like the bloke in the picture I posted.
Go on... deny it!

I put it to @Ortholith - to deny he looks like the bloke in the picture I posted.
Go on... deny it!
That's not me and doesn't look much like me. The lack of a tie and me having a nose, chin and hair are pretty similar, otherwise it's not much of a likeness.

It's a good thing you answer the phones and aren't in charge of Identikit pictures ;)

Thai green curry using a Simply cook stock pot thing with recipe card.
Didn't have aubergine or baby corn so substituted with some bok choi, pea pods, brocolli and peppers.
Used coconut creme instead of coconut milk also. Added extra lemongrass to make it a bit more nuclear.

View attachment 516215

Won't be eating this until the afternoon now. I just got bored whilst my bodyclocks all fecked up and i'm still awake.

Edit: I think I would have got better results using my cast iron frying pan. My hob range is all electric and just does not push out the heat. Stir-frying is essentially just steaming it. So proud am I of the 'seasoning' Ive developed on my frying pan- I'm loathe to risk some sauce type stuff as above needing to be scrubbed off and potentially ruining my pan
The pan above is absolute crap, the food is covering a large area where the non-stick stuff is simply not there anymore. It's quite high sided and almost wok-like though.

Is it possible to season or repair non-stick pans that have gone crap??
If it's not cast iron or carbon steel you may as well bin it or use for chapatis and the like. I'd bin and treat myself to one of these badgers - shop about though. Cast iron is great but feck tossing pancakes in one

Worth having a normal carbon steel wok and one of these for all things Chinese/Asian as well:

Amazon product
Got a well cheap one from Asda sale.

Actually I do. I have a latent interest in a YouTube channel. I’ve got a decent kitchen, grill setup, cameras that will do the job, and a Mac to edit the video. I had a go earlier in the year, and filmed making bread. Halfway through editing it, I got laid off, so suffered instant loss of interest vs getting a new job. That’s all sorted, so I need to pick it back up again.

I won’t be telling any of you cvnts about it though, I can only imagine the comments :)
This is you with a well fake accent innit?

Pinch of salt in the egg whites
check the amount of sugar - too little often results in meringues collapsing
start whisking slowly
when eggs are bubbly increase speed
add the sugar slowly, a tablespoon at a time
after adding the sugar, whisk for two - three more minutes, it should all be glossy and smooth
bake in a really low oven (120 degrees) for about 1.5 hours
leave in the oven with the door open to cool - at least 1/2 hour

Or you could just buy the meringues, they're cheap as chips in the supermarkets

Thank you mush dad I will try that, I know you can get shop bought, but I think the concept is to make a baking tray size meringue, fill with cream and strawberries and roll it Swiss roll stylee.

God knows how you do that without it exploding into a million crumbs and turning into a traditional eton mess.....

The gods love a meringue covered tryer....

JB

I must show that to my wife. Her mac 'n cheese is a) cook a pan of elbow pasta. b) drain and melt some cheese in. c) Eat.

Yours looks very good indeed. What goodies lie under the top beyond the sliced tomatoes?

That is a worrying lack of the self preservation instinct....

I fear for your eggs....

JB

Thank you mush dad I will try that, I know you can get shop bought, but I think the concept is to make a baking tray size meringue, fill with cream and strawberries and roll it Swiss roll stylee.

God knows how you do that without it exploding into a million crumbs and turning into a traditional eton mess.....

The gods love a meringue covered tryer....

JB
Why didn't you say that, you need a meringue with a chewy centre. Dont cook it for so long and dont let it it cool too much. Roll it whilst it's still warm.

Best of luck

Beef stroganoff
20201030_184710_resized.jpg

Finally dug out my Khazana cookery book & actually used it rather than drooling over photos.

Mughal yoghurt-marinated roast lamb with toasted nuts & pomegranate seeds on saffron rice with coriander & crispy onions.

6F6B993E-DCCC-4DA9-9A68-B6517523630E.jpeg

Last edited:
If you'd posted a picture of that naughty scamp I'd have agreed with you.

Anyway, dinner tonight was nothing special but filled a hole and used up some slightly dodgy looking veg.
View attachment 516417
Do you not think a dish of food of such maginficence deserved..just a ...little bit more of the brown stuff??
Just look at that kale..it's literally begging for it and..it gets just a mild dusting.

Do you not think a dish of food of such maginficence deserved..just a ...little bit more of the brown stuff??
Just look at that kale..it's literally begging for it and..it gets just a mild dusting.
Kale is not good for displaying gravy, the brown stuff tends to sink and make a puddle underneath.