Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Cue post of mahoosive fry up with black pudding in 3-2-1...

Stone me, you must be psychic!

Or maybe that was a cunning bit of NLP.

Is it possible to season or repair non-stick pans that have gone crap??

It's not worth the candle, SM.

If it is a really good carbon steel wok it might be worth sanding the coating off and curing it as per normal. It won't come off easy and you will probably need a power tool.

The bastard irony is that the coating flakes easily when you don't want it to but sticks like shit to a blanket when you do.

I was given a Ken Hom carbon steel wok and the Teflon (or whatever it is nowadays) started coming off very quickly. I gave it a really hard scrub with wire wool to remove the flakey bits but the rest is resistant to removal by hand means. I use it and rub it with oil after washing it but will bin it and buy a new one.

Ironically my Lidl 12" non-stick frying pan is in perfect order after four years and cost one third the price of the Ken Hom shite.

I was thinking "Bloke on the Lake", and not just cooking. Electronics/communications, woodworking too.

We'll see.
’And on today’s show, the beard demonstrates how to grill chicken at 109.90mhz, and successfully makes a turning using an over cooked joint of beef.’

Stone me, you must be psychic!

Or maybe that was a cunning bit of NLP.

It's not worth the candle, SM.

If it is a really good carbon steel wok it might be worth sanding the coating off and curing it as per normal. It won't come off easy and you will probably need a power tool.

The bastard irony is that the coating flakes easily when you don't want it to but sticks like shit to a blanket when you do.

I was given a Ken Hom carbon steel wok and the Teflon (or whatever it is nowadays) started coming off very quickly. I gave it a really hard scrub with wire wool to remove the flakey bits but the rest is resistant to removal by hand means. I use it and rub it with oil after washing it but will bin it and buy a new one.

Ironically my Lidl 12" non-stick frying pan is in perfect order after four years and cost one third the price of the Ken Hom shite.
We’ve bought a new one...it’s just another ‘throwaway’ non-stick cheapo thing but...it’ll do. I think it’s the dishwasher that kills them. I’m a big fan of my cast iron stuff but having a glass top electric hob...one wrong move could be quite expensive, considering their weight. I’ve also got some twinge in my right arm...every now and again when picking a kettle of water up..my wrist just goes. Quite dangerous with a cast iron pan so tend not to use too much.

We’ve bought a new one...it’s just another ‘throwaway’ non-stick cheapo thing but...it’ll do. I think it’s the dishwasher that kills them. I’m a big fan of my cast iron stuff but having a glass top electric hob...one wrong move could be quite expensive, considering their weight. I’ve also got some twinge in my right arm...every now and again when picking a kettle of water up..my wrist just goes. Quite dangerous with a cast iron pan so tend not to use too much.

So you are genuinely a limp-wristed matelot!

Well I never, that's quite an admission, up there with me admitting I had a beard a couple of years ago. Actually even more significant, because I could, and did, shave the beard off :)

So you are genuinely a limp-wristed matelot!

Well I never, that's quite an admission, up there with me admitting I had a beard a couple of years ago. Actually even more significant, because I could, and did, shave the beard off :)
Years of vigorous wrist action have taken their toll it would appear.
As for your beard... it makes no difference whether you have one now or not. I’ve told you this before...you are simply ‘between beards’.

Once a beard- always a beard. It’s like the mile high club but with sandals & socks. All it takes is that one trip and...you’re a member of an exclusive club.

Years of vigorous wrist action have taken their toll it would appear.
As for your beard... it makes no difference whether you have one now or not. I’ve told you this before...you are simply ‘between beards’.

Once a beard- always a beard. It’s like the mile high club but with sandals & socks. All it takes is that one trip and...you’re a member of an exclusive club.

I have a question for you. As you are in the UK, there is no 5th Amendment, and your honour shall stand on the truthfulness of your answer.

Have you ever had a beard? :)

I have a question for you. As you are in the UK, there is no 5th Amendment, and your honour shall stand on the truthfulness of your answer.

Have you ever had a beard? :)
No. I get horrendous Ingrowing hairs if I miss a few days shaving. I have faint recollection of a beard growing contest onboard whilst deployed, and several people were mentally damaged upon discovering they had a recessive ginger gene. I think I took that opportunity to just not shave for a few days but- I to was alarmed at the tinge of a few rogue stray follicles of mine.
It was not a beard though. In the RN...you have to slap in a request Form to grow a beard and... it is “judged” by the master-at-arms after a given period, and then decided whether it’s gash...so request denied or...welcome to the bearded brethren.

Having been forced to listed to Roald Dahl's 'The Twits' a gazillion times in the car when ferrying the young mushings around between myself and the ex mrs_mush at weekends., I can practically recite the whole story. But it always ended with both mushlings pleading "Dad, please tell us you'll never ever grow a beard"

Mr. Twit is a wicked person, having hair that covers his entire face, with the exception of his forehead, eyes, and nose. His hair (which he falsely believes makes him appear 'wise and grand' but is widely agreed by everyone else makes him look like a twit), is spiky and hard. Because he never washes it, his moustache holds scraps of food stuck there while he ate, including tinned sardines, Stilton cheese, and corn flakes.

20201030_172323_compress84.jpg

Macaroni cheese tonight.

Pork tenderloin with garlic honey ‘sauce’ ... and rice yet again
0E139BEE-338F-46E2-ABC5-4C5145A4519D.jpeg

Actually I do. I have a latent interest in a YouTube channel. I’ve got a decent kitchen, grill setup, cameras that will do the job, and a Mac to edit the video. I had a go earlier in the year, and filmed making bread. Halfway through editing it, I got laid off, so suffered instant loss of interest vs getting a new job. That’s all sorted, so I need to pick it back up again.

I won’t be telling any of you cvnts about it though, I can only imagine the comments :)
I have what I think is a viable plan for a Youtube cooking channel. I can't tell you what it is, because it's a good idea and one of you feckers will nick it.

I have what I think is a viable plan for a Youtube cooking channel. I can't tell you what it is, because it's a good idea and one of you feckers will nick it.

One of the ideas I had was to debunk the idea that you have to use Peruvian chocolate-covered ant eggs, and demonstrate that regular Ecuadorean ones would be OK. Or if it's not OK to substitute, why it's not OK.

Another was to basically rip off Delia's "How to Cook" book series and start from basics. Here's how to kit your kitchen out. Don't bother buying this gizmo, it's shit. Right, now let's start with beans on toast, or boiled eggs. Here's a plate of mashed potatoes. Here's one that's overcooked, and here's one that's undercooked. Here's how you judge it. That kind of thing.

The other idea was to do the same dish on Gas grill, shitty Weber kettle and BGE, and compare the results.

One of the ideas I had was to debunk the idea that you have to use Peruvian chocolate-covered ant eggs, and demonstrate that regular Ecuadorean ones would be OK. Or if it's not OK to substitute, why it's not OK.

Another was to basically rip off Delia's "How to Cook" book series and start from basics. Here's how to kit your kitchen out. Don't bother buying this gizmo, it's shit. Right, now let's start with beans on toast, or boiled eggs. Here's a plate of mashed potatoes. Here's one that's overcooked, and here's one that's undercooked. Here's how you judge it. That kind of thing.

The other idea was to do the same dish on Gas grill, shitty Weber kettle and BGE, and compare the results.
Sort of Ray Mears (Bore you to tears) in a house then?

Latest Threads