Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Kirkz

LE
As earlier post I wasn't feeling hungry so just had something lite.

20201029_204358_copy_729x672.jpg

Thai green curry using a Simply cook stock pot thing with recipe card.
Didn't have aubergine or baby corn so substituted with some bok choi, pea pods, brocolli and peppers.
Used coconut creme instead of coconut milk also. Added extra lemongrass to make it a bit more nuclear.

2020-10-29 23.46.39.jpg

Won't be eating this until the afternoon now. I just got bored whilst my bodyclocks all fecked up and i'm still awake.

Edit: I think I would have got better results using my cast iron frying pan. My hob range is all electric and just does not push out the heat. Stir-frying is essentially just steaming it. So proud am I of the 'seasoning' Ive developed on my frying pan- I'm loathe to risk some sauce type stuff as above needing to be scrubbed off and potentially ruining my pan
The pan above is absolute crap, the food is covering a large area where the non-stick stuff is simply not there anymore. It's quite high sided and almost wok-like though.

Is it possible to season or repair non-stick pans that have gone crap??

Last edited:
Made some ham bone soup the other day, I've had it in the fridge to de-fat it. Just divvied it up.

View attachment 516098
Proper soul food that is...almost 'Northern Soul'. Swap the ham for lamb and you've got 5 bowls of scouse there!

The inner Wiganner fights the struggle... "Mein kampf like, laaa"

Proper soul food that is...almost 'Northern Soul'. Swap the ham for lamb and you've got 5 bowls of scouse there!

The inner Wiganner fights the struggle... "Mein kampf like, laaa"

I must confess, while I’ve heard of it, “Northern Soul” has pretty much passed me by. I have no idea what it means/is.

Well, anyway, dinner this evening was bratties, kiolbasa, and cajun smoked sausage (not on my plate below), with fried spuds, Senf and coleslaw.

39B8FFED-41BD-48FC-9430-D088730D6670.jpeg

I must confess, while I’ve heard of it, “Northern Soul” has pretty much passed me by. I have no idea what it means/is.

Well, anyway, dinner this evening was bratties, kiolbasa, and cajun smoked sausage (not on my plate below), with fried spuds, Senf and coleslaw.

View attachment 516216

Excellent display of food there. Kielbasa does cause a problem with its tendency to wander...it does not know which way to point. 'The rules' allow for this though so all is in order.

As for Northern Soul...it's a dark art, taking a worthy place on the register as its equally evil cousin - Morris dancing. I believe @Kirkz has dabbled in both of these at some point and can probably educate you further.

Edit: watch this...

Thai green curry using a Simply cook stock pot thing with recipe card.
Didn't have aubergine or baby corn so substituted with some bok choi, pea pods, brocolli and peppers.
Used coconut creme instead of coconut milk also. Added extra lemongrass to make it a bit more nuclear.

View attachment 516215

Won't be eating this until the afternoon now. I just got bored whilst my bodyclocks all fecked up and i'm still awake.

Edit: I think I would have got better results using my cast iron frying pan. My hob range is all electric and just does not push out the heat. Stir-frying is essentially just steaming it. So proud am I of the 'seasoning' Ive developed on my frying pan- I'm loathe to risk some sauce type stuff as above needing to be scrubbed off and potentially ruining my pan
The pan above is absolute crap, the food is covering a large area where the non-stick stuff is simply not there anymore. It's quite high sided and almost wok-like though.

Is it possible to season or repair non-stick pans that have gone crap??
Not if they're allyumininimium, if they're stainless or cast iron you can buff the non stick off and go back to a bare surface.

SWMBO is demanding an Eton Mess Meringue Roll with menaces. In order to rest my weary ears I will attempt this feat over the weekend.

Only problem is, every time I make meringue, it looks great in the oven but as soon as it comes out it collapses quicker than a collapsing thing.

I throw myself onto the mercy of the ARRSE collective and ask for the perfect recipe for non collapsing meringue, or any hints, tips or tricks.....

Pretty please....

JB

SWMBO is demanding an Eton Mess Meringue Roll with menaces. In order to rest my weary ears I will attempt this feat over the weekend.

Only problem is, every time I make meringue, it looks great in the oven but as soon as it comes out it collapses quicker than a collapsing thing.

I throw myself onto the mercy of the ARRSE collective and ask for the perfect recipe for non collapsing meringue, or any hints, tips or tricks.....

Pretty please....

JB
Pinch of salt in the egg whites
check the amount of sugar - too little often results in meringues collapsing
start whisking slowly
when eggs are bubbly increase speed
add the sugar slowly, a tablespoon at a time
after adding the sugar, whisk for two - three more minutes, it should all be glossy and smooth
bake in a really low oven (120 degrees) for about 1.5 hours
leave in the oven with the door open to cool - at least 1/2 hour

Or you could just buy the meringues, they're cheap as chips in the supermarkets

The few times I’ve made meringues, I’ve beaten the ever-living shit out of the egg whites with an electric whisk on pretty much max chat. When the recipe says “beat until stiff”, then imagine you’re watching two lesbians going at it, and then they ask if you want to join in. Beat until STIFF.

The few times I’ve made meringues, I’ve beaten the ever-living shit out of the egg whites with an electric whisk on pretty much max chat. When the recipe says “beat until stiff”, then imagine you’re watching two lesbians going at it, and then they ask if you want to join in. Beat until STIFF.
Do you have any plans to do a cookery show? I'm imagining a bizarre cross between Nigella and Jeremy Clarkson.

Do you have any plans to do a cookery show? I'm imagining a bizarre cross between Nigella and Jeremy Clarkson.

Actually I do. I have a latent interest in a YouTube channel. I’ve got a decent kitchen, grill setup, cameras that will do the job, and a Mac to edit the video. I had a go earlier in the year, and filmed making bread. Halfway through editing it, I got laid off, so suffered instant loss of interest vs getting a new job. That’s all sorted, so I need to pick it back up again.

I won’t be telling any of you cvnts about it though, I can only imagine the comments :)

Actually I do. I have a latent interest in a YouTube channel. I’ve got a decent kitchen, grill setup, cameras that will do the job, and a Mac to edit the video. I had a go earlier in the year, and filmed making bread. Halfway through editing it, I got laid off, so suffered instant loss of interest vs getting a new job. That’s all sorted, so I need to pick it back up again.

I won’t be telling any of you cvnts about it though, I can only imagine the comments :)
Do it!

'The Green egg gourmet'