Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

On a Staycation with a couple of the Grandkids in North Devon this week, so not much home cooking (or Arrse posting) going on! First self cooked Breakfast for a few days - Poached Eggs on Toast with roast tomatoes and pancetta. Lovely start to the day.
183C7D20-9615-4AFA-81EB-069BC32465EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Gravy,

Make a deep bed of onions, celery and garlic in a large shallow roasting pan. Place meat on 'veg. Add stock until all 'veg is covered.

Roast meat to your preference but rotate the roasting pan a quarter turn each 15 - 20 mins. Keep topping up the stock levels throughout.

When cooked to your preference remove roasting tray from oven, remove meat. Empty liquid and 'veg into a large container, scrape out all bits from the pan. Give the pan to the dogs to lick clean.

Blitz up the veg and liquid with a stick blender until all is smooth. Pass through a sieve, push all solods through with a spoon. Give spoon and sieve and contents to the dogs.

Reduce the retained liquid until arriving at the desired thickness, taste, add salt as required. If too salty add more unreduced stock. If cooking beef add anchovy paste in lieu of salt.

Never use any type of starch as a thickening agent.
Agree all the way until no starches. Adding a basic roux is standard, cooking out the butter gives colour as well.

Tool

LE
One of my guilty pleasures is watching Saturday Kitchen Live on the BBC.
First comment this morning was “today will be a Vegan Special (the guest Sarah Pascoe is Vegan). Straight to the off switch for me!
A bit late, but what the hay...
The three inserts on SKL were Rick Stein eating wild boar charcuterie, The Man Floyd doing a cassoulet, and another meat dish. I sniggered to myself while slobbering over Anna Haugh.

A bit late, but what the hay...
The three inserts on SKL were Rick Stein eating wild boar charcuterie, The Man Floyd doing a cassoulet, and another meat dish. I sniggered to myself while slobbering over Anna Haugh.
I’m pleased to hear they didn’t go fully Vegan on the day. Floyd would have fcuked them all off at the high port!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bangers, fried mash with spring onions & onion gravy

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Broccoli spears, peas and mash. The brown chicken breast was done in Katsu curry crumb. Yep, curry and mash. I omitted the big dollop of gravy I covered it in, post photo.
1.JPG

Yep, curry and gravy and it was very nice to.

Making real gravy is something I haven't tried. Usual method is heaped teaspoon of Bisto Best (the one in a glass jar) and crumbled OXO cube, topped up to a quarter of a pint with water and a good slug of worcestershire sauce. Ideally the water from boiling potatoes as the starch in the tatties seems to make it feel a bit thicker.

For a bit of a change add a teaspoon of mustard or a tiny amount (literally enough to cover the end of a teaspoon handle) of smoked paprika. I did try a bit of fusion cuisine by adding garam masala but that just tasted weird.
Take meat out of pan. Leave to rest. Don’t panic, this can be for longer than you think. Enough time for your guests to finish aperitifs and savour a bucket of Burgundy.
Pan from oven, end of pan onto low hob. Get juices boiling, flour in. Make a sticky goo (I can’t remember what it’s called, kind of a roux)). Add some water and propriety granules and of course meat juices. Keep working it as any good sauce in progress.
How you present is up to you.
All you need is Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner to Sunday dinner, as I think this is how my Nanna made this a long time ago. And no, the Hollywood stars never turned up.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Macaroni cheese this evening with some grated cooking cheese went down well with fresh bread and a glass or two of red stuff.
cheesemac.jpg

I have put it on the free school meals thread, as an indicator how good food need not be expensive.
This Bread is so simple to make and you will kick yourself for titting about for so long.
And you can muck about with it too, I have done olive, chilli, garlic, cheese versions and all turn out pretty good.
I do recommend fresh yeast if you can get it (Tesco bakers give you it for free if you ask nice!)

bread.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Chicken curry and rice.

20201028_200900_copy_639x673.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Not sure what I'm having tonight yet, don't feel all that hungry to be honest :mrgreen:

Not sure what I'm having tonight yet, don't feel all that hungry to be honest :mrgreen:
Cue post of mahoosive fry up with black pudding in 3-2-1...

Fresh bread from scratch! As a result of poor personal admin I need to go and fetch some alcoholic beverages and some fresh butter. Then supper shall be said bread, thickly buttered with cold meat, pickles and said beverages. Probs Jockanese Real Ales.
IMG_1476.jpg

Latest Threads