Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Kirkz

LE
Rump steak,chips,mixed veg,mushrooms and peppercorn sauce.

20201026_194431_copy_756x734.jpg
20201026_195105_copy_756x1008.jpg

Now that has to be a contender for deepest brown this year.
An emergency meeting is about to be convened.

I saw that stew and had a bit of a trouser tingle at the thought of resurrecting the entire Brownometer programme.

Ein braun, ein Braunmeister, ein Brownometer, to last for a thousand years.

Tomorrow belongs to me.

All i need to do is find a suitable colour for the shirts.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
No, well with the exception of a couple copied from the internet when upset at being asked for them.
Christ he is wetter than an otters pocket

Now that has to be a contender for deepest brown this year.
Hold my beer and watch this.

In a rash moment I bought a chunk of brisket earlier this week. I am quite proud of this as it's the second time I've cooked a proper roast lump of meat, the first time it was beef and the first time it wasn't a complete fuckup.

I followed the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall timings (Slow-roast beef brisket with potatoes and onions) but halved the slow cooking time as my lump of beef was a bit under a kilo. While the meat was resting I chucked some potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions into the rendered beef fat and roasted them in the oven.

I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but this was ******* gorgeous, still moist and juicy and fell apart without needing a knife. The veg isn't burnt, just coated in some rather caramelised beef juices.

Still got plenty left for rolls and maybe a cottage pie.

Raw cow:
beef1.jpg

Cooked cow:
beef2.jpg

Rested and sliced:
beef3.jpg

Plated:
beef4.jpg

With brownification:
beef5.jpg

Kirkz

LE

In a rash moment I bought a chunk of brisket earlier this week. I am quite proud of this as it's the second time I've cooked a proper roast lump of meat, the first time it was beef and the first time it wasn't a complete fuckup.

I followed the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall timings (Slow-roast beef brisket with potatoes and onions) but halved the slow cooking time as my lump of beef was a bit under a kilo. While the meat was resting I chucked some potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions into the rendered beef fat and roasted them in the oven.

I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but this was ******* gorgeous, still moist and juicy and fell apart without needing a knife. The veg isn't burnt, just coated in some rather caramelised beef juices.

Raw cow:
View attachment 515446

Cooked cow:
View attachment 515447

Rested and sliced:
View attachment 515448

Plated:
View attachment 515449

With brownification:
View attachment 515450
That's brown alright but @ancienturion is way browner.

Kirkz

LE
I've just looked, you're right. I think ancienturion is rivalling Porkbrain's satanic gravy with that level of brown.
It's getting towards Megasatanic.

clothears

War Hero
I successfully made Rowies. The Aberdonian in me came out and baked. My coworkers loved them and I got to keep the homemade jam one brought in when I said I'd supply the baked goods.

It was great timing on part because our foodservice workers along with the porters and housekeeping staff wildcatted it this morning resulting in Management having to work for a shift as floor staff.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Given how good it tastes, and how little there is on each animal, oxtail should command a far higher price.
Don't go giving people ideas, FFS!

Given how good it tastes, and how little there is on each animal, oxtail should command a far higher price.

Not seen as something special here in central Africa. We get it boiled in a bland, shit tasting soup (seriously, they should try wiping its bum) for breakfast every morning.

They have no idea how to cook it so it goes with the offal.

Raw cow:
View attachment 515446

Cooked cow:
View attachment 515447

Rested and sliced:
View attachment 515448

Plated:
View attachment 515449

With brownification:
View attachment 515450

The colour and texture of your brown is very consistent. How do you produce it? Not from a packet I’m guessing.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just looked, you're right. I think ancienturion is rivalling Porkbrain's satanic gravy with that level of brown.

It's getting towards Megasatanic.

My work here is done,

I now feel extremely humble with condiments compliments from such as gentlefolk like yourselves.

I shall now go forth rejoicing - well I would but it's raining and all I've got is fruit'n'fibre for bkfst. Plus some more bloody banana!

The colour and texture of your brown is very consistent. How do you produce it? Not from a packet I’m guessing.
Making real gravy is something I haven't tried. Usual method is heaped teaspoon of Bisto Best (the one in a glass jar) and crumbled OXO cube, topped up to a quarter of a pint with water and a good slug of worcestershire sauce. Ideally the water from boiling potatoes as the starch in the tatties seems to make it feel a bit thicker.

For a bit of a change add a teaspoon of mustard or a tiny amount (literally enough to cover the end of a teaspoon handle) of smoked paprika. I did try a bit of fusion cuisine by adding garam masala but that just tasted weird.

Making real gravy is something I haven't tried. Usual method is heaped teaspoon of Bisto Best (the one in a glass jar) and crumbled OXO cube, topped up to a quarter of a pint with water and a good slug of worcestershire sauce. Ideally the water from boiling potatoes as the starch in the tatties seems to make it feel a bit thicker.

For a bit of a change add a teaspoon of mustard or a tiny amount (literally enough to cover the end of a teaspoon handle) of smoked paprika. I did try a bit of fusion cuisine by adding garam masala but that just tasted weird.

Should have fried up a finely chopped onion and a chopped tomato first in the pan juices, Bit of curry powder then go to town with the potato/veg/meat stock, Bisto and OXO.

On sadza with ten inches of boerewors, it'll make strong men weep tears of joy.

Gravy,

Make a deep bed of onions, celery and garlic in a large shallow roasting pan. Place meat on 'veg. Add stock until all 'veg is covered.

Roast meat to your preference but rotate the roasting pan a quarter turn each 15 - 20 mins. Keep topping up the stock levels throughout.

When cooked to your preference remove roasting tray from oven, remove meat. Empty liquid and 'veg into a large container, scrape out all bits from the pan. Give the pan to the dogs to lick clean.

Blitz up the veg and liquid with a stick blender until all is smooth. Pass through a sieve, push all solods through with a spoon. Give spoon and sieve and contents to the dogs.

Reduce the retained liquid until arriving at the desired thickness, taste, add salt as required. If too salty add more unreduced stock. If cooking beef add anchovy paste in lieu of salt.

Never use any type of starch as a thickening agent.

Rab_C

War Hero
Gravy,

Make a deep bed of onions, celery and garlic in a large shallow roasting pan. Place meat on 'veg. Add stock until all 'veg is covered.

Roast meat to your preference but rotate the roasting pan a quarter turn each 15 - 20 mins. Keep topping up the stock levels throughout.

When cooked to your preference remove roasting tray from oven, remove meat. Empty liquid and 'veg into a large container, scrape out all bits from the pan. Give the pan to the dogs to lick clean.

Blitz up the veg and liquid with a stick blender until all is smooth. Pass through a sieve, push all solods through with a spoon. Give spoon and sieve and contents to the dogs.

Reduce the retained liquid until arriving at the desired thickness, taste, add salt as required. If too salty add more unreduced stock. If cooking beef add anchovy paste in lieu of salt.

Never use any type of starch as a thickening agent.
Shame that you have then steamed your roast.
Edited to add
You've also made a jus not a gravy. Gravy includes a thickening agent jus doesn't

Last edited:
Shame that you have then steamed your roast.
You make that sound like a bad thing.

I've had one of these for years - IIRC it was passed down from granda_mush
oval-roaster-med.jpg

The dimples in the lid allow for the juices to drip down onto the chicken keeping it moist. I remove the lid for the last 1/2 hour and turn up the heat to brown the skin. Never had dry chicken from it

Latest Threads