Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

6 hr slow roast pork
I changed the brocolli recipe (way less lemon).

Crackling was ok, but not as good as the first time. Pork was really good though, tender and moist. Used leftovers for a chinese the next day.

View attachment 512806
You need bigger plates. Presumably your belly/gut has grown to accommodate such portion sizes?

You need bigger plates. Presumably your belly/gut has grown to accommodate such portion sizes?

Fortunately no :) I am back in 32" waist jeans for the first time since I left the Corps.

Since last year I have lost about 1.5 stone thanks to eating way less bread and pasta even though I am drinking more thanks to the lockdown drinking routine. Also regular fartlekking and hiking with my partner has helped.

I tend to prefer Gino, Gordon, Tom Kerridge and Anthony Bourdain as far as recipes go.

IMG_1988.jpg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

No, it's the fact that they have all those meals #58213 - #58221 at the same time apparently.

@Skunkmiester - fvck me, you must have been hungry to cook all that today :)

Excellent looking scoff, BTW. What was the "lemon broccoli" recipe, and what's your rice recipe (plain rice, not the risotto)? I have trouble with it being stodgy. Especially jasmine rice, which seems to be worse than long grain.

@Skunkmiester - fvck me, you must have been hungry to cook all that today :)

Excellent looking scoff, BTW. What was the "lemon broccoli" recipe, and what's your rice recipe (plain rice, not the risotto)? I have trouble with it being stodgy. Especially jasmine rice, which seems to be worse than long grain.

Thank you

Roasted Broccoli

if it is going with a roast dinner then I reckon maybe 1/4 teaspoon of Lemon, if at all. As a side though, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. 1 teaspoon just overpowers it.

For Rissotto rice, it is nothing fancy. I use Arborio rice.

1 glug of olive oil and then melt a knob of butter in a large pan on low/medium heat.
1 brown onion chopped goes in for about 10 minutes to sweat, no burning the onion.
Have 1 ltr of stock either chicken or veg ready and hot I use the Knorr wet stock cubes 2 per 1 ltr.

Add the rice (about 300g feeds 3) to the pot and turn up the heat, fry for 2 mins to ensure that the rice is coated in the oil/butter.
Pour in 1 large glass of wine and let that bubble down and reduce, stirrin al the time. Then I add 1/2 of the stock. Not ladle by ladle like the pros do it, I cannot be arsed. stir it, then when happy add the rest of the stock.
Do not cover, just simmer on your lowest setting for 15-20 minutes till the rice is ready.
Take of the heat and add 50g of finely grated parmesan and another knob of butter, good quality salt and pepper to taste, stir and it is ready.
I add about 1/2 tsp of salt but that is personal preference.

Also if I am doing wild mushrooms or chicken or ham, I stir fry it up and add it in at the same time as the stock.

This seems to work for me, the parmesan at the end and the butter is what makes it really creamy.

Thank you

Roasted Broccoli

if it is going with a roast dinner then I reckon maybe 1/4 teaspoon of Lemon, if at all. As a side though, maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. 1 teaspoon just overpowers it.

For Rissotto rice, it is nothing fancy. I use Arborio rice.

1 glug of olive oil and then melt a knob of butter in a large pan on low/medium heat.
1 brown onion chopped goes in for about 10 minutes to sweat, no burning the onion.
Have 1 ltr of stock either chicken or veg ready and hot I use the Knorr wet stock cubes 2 per 1 ltr.

Add the rice (about 300g feeds 3) to the pot and turn up the heat, fry for 2 mins to ensure that the rice is coated in the oil/butter.
Pour in 1 large glass of wine and let that bubble down and reduce, stirrin al the time. Then I add 1/2 of the stock. Not ladle by ladle like the pros do it, I cannot be arsed. stir it, then when happy add the rest of the stock.
Do not cover, just simmer on your lowest setting for 15-20 minutes till the rice is ready.
Take of the heat and add 50g of finely grated parmesan and another knob of butter, good quality salt and pepper to taste, stir and it is ready.
I add about 1/2 tsp of salt but that is personal preference.

Also if I am doing wild mushrooms or chicken or ham, I stir fry it up and add it in at the same time as the stock.

This seems to work for me, the parmesan at the end and the butter is what makes it really creamy.

Cheers, although it was the recipe/method for plain rice I was looking for, not the risotto :)

View attachment 512862King prawn pathia, pilau rice, naan.

If only we still had a Department of Brownology, an armoured Brownometer and an Oberbraunfuhrer.

That would be shoe in for 10/10.

Hush, whats that ghostly whispering noise I hear? Is it an old seaman moaning about some green partially obscuring the browniness and saying it's only a 9.8/10.

Last edited:
Haven’t been posting too much here recently, as I’ve posted the same meals before. It’s been a while since I did a ham though, so last night’s dinner:

E53D6CC6-2DC6-4467-ABFA-BF35AAAD7600.jpeg

BGE Ham, Greek lemon potatoes, peas, broccers, mushroom cream cheese sauce.

I about killed the daughter’s BF, he ran off to the bog half way through. He has a tree nut allergy, we think maybe this extends to Maple syrup, which was rubbed on the ham.

Haven’t been posting too much here recently, as I’ve posted the same meals before. It’s been a while since I did a ham though, so last night’s dinner:

View attachment 512870

I about killed the daughter’s BF, he ran off to the bog half way through. He has a tree nut allergy, we think maybe this extends to Maple syrup, which was rubbed on the ham.

Is it ok to smirk or do you like him?

Chicken breast roasted in baharat, smoked paprika & cumin; spinach sautéed with lemon, almonds & garlic; herby couscous.

F5A3302B-E3AD-4181-80B3-0F8B24C7DE0A.jpeg

Edit to add:

Knew I should have added pomegranate seeds for a bit of colour. Chicken wasn't burnt, either, but the spices did go awfully dark!

Last edited:
Tonight's efforts- the current mrs_mush is poorly so comfort food is required

Cumberland pie
20201017_185635_resized.jpg

Plated and with buttered kale
20201017_185904_resized.jpg

Sticky toffee pudding
20201017_201353_resized.jpg

View attachment 512870

Do you soak the ham before cooking it ?

Latest Threads