Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Baked another cake today trying out some new fangled silicone “tins”.

Massive fail. The whole thing just fell to pieces when I tried to get it out.

Managed to rescue it from the jaws of defeat. Just piled it all together, slathered it in melted chocolate with cream and stuck it in a metal tin to set in the fridge.

No prizes for presentation but it tastes great.

5CD428F9-9DA4-4C41-96DF-FCE9D3C490CE.jpeg

pinback2001

RIP
RIP

Managed to rescue it from the jaws of defeat. Just piled it all together, slathered it in melted chocolate with cream and stuck it in a metal tin to set in the fridge.

View attachment 509283
Good drills there, it looks good enough to eat

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 509283
I hate silicone baking kit for exactly that reason.

Allegedly it's easier if you leave stuff until cold before turning out. From experience I don't believe it.

When it's Saturday, it's persisting down, and there's nowt too much to get excited about I treat mesel' to a decent brekky....

Feeling decidedly bold,(and being sick of microwaved poached eggs)
Oops thinks;
" Sod it, I'll wire the hob in (don't tell the family) and do mesel' a proper fried egg"
Poached in the micro aren't bad, but by
feck you miss crispy whites' after a while..
George the Grill and the microwave coping admirably with everything else, all I had to do was stand over a tiny frying pan.
Result.
IMG-20200725-WA0000.jpeg
Unfortunately things kinda went downhill shortly thereafter....
Firstly, I learned those bloody induction hobs are 'on' even when they're 'not'......so don't put my plastic plate (unfortunate necessity) down on it whilst slipping the egg on.
Secondly, once you've opened all the doors, windows to get rid of the foul plastic smoke (even the dogs legged it)...
Don't then forget you've still not turned the bloody hob off and leave the wooden spatula across it...
The smoke isn't a clue...'it's probably blowing back in from outside'....

It wasn't.

(I've now disconnected the cooker again)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did a crumble yesterday. One of the trees in the garden is bearing big fat cooking apples so thought it rude not to.

F17AA84C-1B26-4717-81F3-3042AAB7D2F8.jpeg

Did a crumble yesterday. One of the trees in the garden is bearing big fat cooking apples so thought it rude not to.

View attachment 509302
We are knee deep in cookers as well.
Eaters are less of a problem since Mrs bomber bought a dessicator and one of those cast iron corer/ peeler / slicer machines from Lakeland..
she can convert about 30 apples a day to apple crisps which luckily all three bomberletts love.
might have a go at a crumble tonight after seeing that though.!

We are knee deep in cookers as well.

Tedsson's top tip for an abundance of cooking apples.

The best apple sauce imaginable.

Peel and core apples. Retain peel and core. Roughly chop apples into little cubes/chunks (a bit smaller than dice/OXO cubes). Put into saucepan and cover with water (to prevent oxidation/browning).

Put all the peel/cores into a saucepan. Add about a half inch of water and stew down to a pulp.

Drain apple chunks. With a wooden spoon force the pulp through a sieve onto apple chunks. Stew down to a pulp.

The result is pure essence of apple as much of the flavour is in the peelings.

Freeze what you don't need for your pork in small containers containing enough for one meal (I use plastic Chinese takeaway containers) and defrost as necessary.

Mrs TS2 added a spoonful of sugar to her portion, but she was a philistine..

Walking the mutt we pass houses with trees bowing with fruit that seems like it left to rot, tempted to knock on.

Do it.

Most people will let you have as much fruit as you want. At the very least it means they don't have to pick them up when they fall.

Several homes ago the estate was built on what was an orchard and there were fruit trees in most gardens (mainly apples and plums).

People rarely used their fruit and were quite happy for you to help yourself.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Do it.

Most people will let you have as much fruit as you want. At the very least it means they don't have to pick them up when they fall.

Several homes ago the estate was built on what was an orchard and there were fruit trees in most gardens (mainly apples and plums).

People rarely used their fruit and were quite happy for you to help yourself.
We're enjoying lots of free apples at the moment, fallers from the trees that are all around town, plus kind people putting boxes of produce outside their houses, with 'Help yourself ' signs..

Sundried tomato and goats cheese tart
20201003_185116_resized.jpg

Fish and chip, tartare sauce tartare my way, braised lettuce
20201003_193148_resized.jpg

Apple five ways
20201003_201039_resized.jpg

On my Tod again tonight, so gratin of leeks & lardons with comte cheese & breadcrumbs.

1EA79324-57AF-443A-B299-F0CE849FE625.jpeg

8B569A2A-AB7E-47B6-B1DF-DF82D814B2C7.jpeg

#just a cautionary rifting aimed at @Roadster280 . Standards have been good up to date with chips correctly allignned and dressed off...Mag North etc etc. Plate drills have been good & correct. Would be a shame to see standards drop.

Keep an eye on it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Going into the oven for lunch, Roast Beef. Thanks @Humble Tiller !

Attachments

• 20201004_104655.jpg
    20201004_104655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

Latest Threads