Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Curry Night.
Lamb rogan josh, prawn balti and Bombay spuds all home made (twisted curry co spices) samosas, bhaji and naan all Aldi. Gin fresh from the Plymouth distillery.
View attachment 508366
Absolutely fantastic! I don't know how it all tastes but it looks amazing.

We can make stuff approximating all of that from scratch (To our own taste preference obviously), except for the bhajis. Ours look and taste like we made them, whereas yours look like the real thing.

Interestingly, for me anyway, we went to a Napalese restaurant in Hamminkeln, which is run by an actual Nepalese family. Their bhajis were delicious, but made in ring form, like a doughnut. I asked them about it and they said that if we wanted 'British-style' bhajis next time, we should just let them know when we booked the table and they would do it that way.

Rab_C

War Hero
Are these individual spices or pre-packed as spice mixes for specific dishes, such as balti mix, bhuna mix?...

JB
They are mixes, it was someone on here put me on to them I think it was @supermatelot but could have been @Joker62
Here’s a link, I get a mixed box of 6 the shelf life is generally pretty good.

Kirkz

LE
Curry Night.
Lamb rogan josh, prawn balti and Bombay spuds all home made (twisted curry co spices) samosas, bhaji and naan all Aldi. Gin fresh from the Plymouth distillery.
View attachment 508366

We can make stuff approximating all of that from scratch (To our own taste preference obviously), except for the bhajis. Ours look and taste like we made them, whereas yours look like the real thing.

Interestingly, for me anyway, we went to a Napalese restaurant in Hamminkeln, which is run by an actual Nepalese family. Their bhajis were delicious, but made in ring form, like a doughnut. I asked them about it and they said that if we wanted 'British-style' bhajis next time, we should just let them know when we booked the table and they would do it that way.
I take it your reading skills need updating.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They are mixes, it was someone on here put me on to them I think it was @supermatelot but could have been @Joker62
Here’s a link, I get a mixed box of 6 the shelf life is generally pretty good.
Twas @supermatelot, I tried the same stuff, recommend it highly.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

In a break from my usual brown slurry I picked up a bag of salmon fillet offcuts. All odd shapes but still good edible fish.

Obviously I didn't bother buying veg specifically to go with said fish so it was served with mash, kale and mushrooms and a couple of spoonfuls of tartare sauce. Unconventional maybe but I liked it.

fish.jpg

How do you like them is the question? I like them like the image below, slice very thinly and leave well covered in besan/gram (with garlic powder, chili powder, tumeric and a good bunch of chopped coriander) for an hour or so. No water added. Tightly squeeze in a fist and drop into preheated oil for about 5 mins. Lush. You can add water of course but as little as possible. No doughy bits but...same as anything, best bhajis are how you like them.

1601421302744.png

Seems like it. Must be the Merlot.

Can anyone who is not from the sub-continent make passable bhajis?
Buy on kindle 'The curry secret'. Experiment with your own spice mixes- to your own taste. Buy a couple of kits from Twisted Curry. You will find your way.

Use Ghee. GHEE.

It does make a difference.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve been doing a lot of these 2 minute tortilla pizzas recently.

The kids love them and as the name suggests, they only take a couple of minutes to knock up.

Use a tortilla wrap as the base.

I always have a batch of this pizza sauce in the fridge but you can make it in seconds. Tin of tomatoes, fresh basil, a couple of garlic cloves and a glug of olive oil in the blender, that’s it. Spread it thinly on the tortilla.

Sprinkle over pre-grated mozzarella from a bag.

Add whatever toppings you want.

2 minutes under the grill. Job done. Better than any shop bought frozen pizza.

04D506A6-53A0-443A-9912-5AEC2F6E8C3E.jpeg

Tonight's episode: sausage pasta 'thing'. Chopped sausages, onions, green pepper, mushies, dash of garlic, splash of chilli & tomato sauce and pasta. Easy and tasty.

20200930_192952.jpg

clothears

War Hero
Tonight was meant to be Chicken and Dumplings.

Instead I will be cooking my husband's goose. The ass just went out and bought another car. Last night at the table he mentioned looking at a Passat. I said maybe we should thing about an SUV because of winter.

I came home from work and found a Tiguan in the driveway. Do I hang, draw, and quarter him or just boil his head?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
To all of those hanging on @supermatelot's use of Himalayan salt, it can't be all that when it's offered at these prices:-

And since when were the Himalyas near the f'kin sea?

To all of those hanging on @supermatelot's use of Himalayan salt, it can't be all that when it's offered at these prices:-

And since when were the Himalyas near the f'kin sea?

I’m no geo-paleantologist, but if you can accept the Earth is some billions of years old, and you can accept plate tectonics are are a thing, then ! Drum roll etc, sea salt, shells etc can be found near the top of mountains. Bigger the mountain, newer they are, so more salt deposits in rock etc. Himalayas may have been on the sea whilst Australia was a proper island.

Tonight was meant to be Chicken and Dumplings.

Instead I will be cooking my husband's goose. The ass just went out and bought another car. Last night at the table he mentioned looking at a Passat. I said maybe we should thing about an SUV because of winter.

I came home from work and found a Tiguan in the driveway. Do I hang, draw, and quarter him or just boil his head?

Years ago I sold cars for 6 months. We had little cards, about A5 size with the details of the customer's trade in, so we could appraise it. At the top of the cards was printed "BMWW". This stood for "Brave Man Without Wife" - in other words, if it's an obviously married bloke and there's no wife, you're almost certainly wasting your time trying to flog this bloke a car, he won't pull the trigger on it without his wife's blessing.

Here we see empirical evidence of that :)

A VW Tiguan in Canadian winter? Shouldn't he have got something a bit bigger, like an Expedition or Tahoe?

Thread drift sorry
A VW Tiguan in Canadian winter? Shouldn't he have got something a bit bigger, like an Expedition or Tahoe?
If they want less fuel costs and more reliability go Japanese ...the Tahoe/expedition have drink issues although the feeling of safety is increased with the sheer size...and the new Tahoe looks odd/ unlike able
Thread drift over

Last edited:
I’m no geo-paleantologist, but if you can accept the Earth is some billions of years old, and you can accept plate tectonics are are a thing, then ! Drum roll etc, sea salt, shells etc can be found near the top of mountains. Bigger the mountain, newer they are, so more salt deposits in rock etc. Himalayas may have been on the sea whilst Australia was a proper island.
If the Himalayas are so old why does the salt have an expiry date ? Just a question not trying to get a bite

If the Himalayas are so old why does the salt have an expiry date ? Just a question not trying to get a bite
I think it was an EU thing. A law was passed that things must have a best before date on them. Amongst other things that fell foul to this was wine and beer. Some Belgian bottled geuzes‘es can live in a cellar for many years; lots of wines can mature for decades.
But they must bear the mark.