Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

quilter

War Hero
Leberwurst with a drop of brandy in the mix. Spread on toast, slice of emmentaler and some chopped onion.
Oh yes, that is delish., love my leberwurst and the pate if available, on a fresh brotchen: am about to have for lunch , bratwurst mit senf/pomme frites mit mayo and a side dish of Cauli cheese as per Jamie Oliver's recipe. Try it and see.:grin:

tiv

LE
Chicken & Bacon Caserole

Chicken & Bacon.jpg

Perhaps boringly familiar, but I enjoyed my breakfast this morning.

View attachment 507196

View attachment 507197
Good symmetry- I like how the 'top cover' is preliminary positioned on left and right flank. The toast wirth egg atop could perhaps be rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise. This would then have the bacon aligned longtitudinally. Not a big issue in this case though as 'The rules' do not specifically state bacon on toast being alligned to Mag North.

Some good plateage there :)

I assume you added a splash of brown sauce after the picture was taken?

View attachment 507238
Cold beef, potato wedges, cavalo nero tonight. The beef was silverside ( bottom round in the US), cooked for 24 hours sous-vide and then seared in a hot pan.
What sou-vide method / kit do you use please? Have seen in mentioned on here a few times. Wondering whether to fork out for something or whether it would become a use twice-consign to cupboard with the raclette/fondue sets type thing.

@Ravers you have a sous-vide don't you? Does it get lots of use or would you regard it as a bit of a gimmick?

Good symmetry- I like how the 'top cover' is preliminary positioned on left and right flank. The toast wirth egg atop could perhaps be rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise. This would then have the bacon aligned longtitudinally. Not a big issue in this case though as 'The rules' do not specifically state bacon on toast being alligned to Mag North.

Some good plateage there :)

I assume you added a splash of brown sauce after the picture was taken?

Thanks, yes, the top cover does a lot better on the sides, so the bits of toast carrying the eggs are flat on the plate. Once smashed, if not flat, the yolks go everywhere. Seems a shame to waste that on the plate rather than down one's shirt, in the traditional manner :)

No brown sauce on this occasion, just fancied it without. There was however Würze on the toast.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What sou-vide method / kit do you use please? Have seen in mentioned on here a few times. Wondering whether to fork out for something or whether it would become a use twice-consign to cupboard with the raclette/fondue sets type thing.

@Ravers you have a sous-vide don't you? Does it get lots of use or would you regard it as a bit of a gimmick?

I haven’t got one at home, but we have them at the pubs and hotel.

I use them occasionally. Best thing I’ve found them useful for is knocking up boil in the bag meals for camping.

Vacuum pack a curry or stew then just stick it in the Jetboil when you’re up a hill.

I bought a sous-vide wand from Lakeland and use it with a tall preserving pan, it cost about £90, as with everything you can spend a lot more or much less. You will also need a vac-pack machine, ours is a hideously cheap thing, but it works. As for recipes Google is, as ever, your friend.
I bought the thing because I wanted to experiment with the cheaper cuts of beef, with game birds which have a propensity to drieness, pork chops and with infusing flavour into ingredients by vac-packing meat/veg with herbs and spices. And also, most importantly, for shits and giggles.
I think it it will get quite a bit of work over the winter, unlike the pasta machine, which I regard as Calvin does his bicycle ( Calvin and Hobbes ).

I bought a sous-vide wand from Lakeland and use it with a tall preserving pan, it cost about £90, as with everything you can spend a lot more or much less. You will also need a vac-pack machine, ours is a hideously cheap thing, but it works. As for recipes Google is, as ever, your friend.
I bought the thing because I wanted to experiment with the cheaper cuts of beef, with game birds which have a propensity to drieness, pork chops and with infusing flavour into ingredients by vac-packing meat/veg with herbs and spices. And also, most importantly, for shits and giggles.
I think it it will get quite a bit of work over the winter, unlike the pasta machine, which I regard as Calvin does his bicycle ( Calvin and Hobbes ).
Cheers. I think our pasta roller machine thing lasted around 2 uses before it was consigned to a cupboard on account of 'too much farting about'.

Kirkz

LE
Cheers. I think our pasta roller machine thing lasted around 2 uses before it was consigned to a cupboard on account of 'too much farting about'.
Mine is 3 years old, never been used on account of the amount of free pasta Farm Foods throw away.
It will get used one day though I'm determined.

Kirkz

LE
I haven’t got one at home, but we have them at the pubs and hotel.

I use them occasionally. Best thing I’ve found them useful for is knocking up boil in the bag meals for camping.

Vacuum pack a curry or stew then just stick it in the Jetboil when you’re up a hill.
Cheers for that, never thought of the camping boil in the bag use.
Might invest in one for that.

Latest Threads