Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Fusilli Lunghi Col Buco bog

IMG_20200923_203245444_resize_68.jpg

Like spag but curly and hollow...

JB

This is a stolen image because a) I don't have a camera and b) I burnt the bejazus out of the aubergine skins. Its basically halved aubergines, slashed and stuffed with onion, tomato, garlic and parsley. They are fried gently in a saucepan until soft, then water, sugar and lemon juice added. Covered then cooked over low heat. I cooked them dry and cremated the skins but my wife said the flesh was very tasty. First attempt at Imam Bayildi (for that is the name of the dish) so will be better next time and will look like the attached pic.

Attachments

• Imam Bayildi.jpg
    Imam Bayildi.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 17

Kirkz

LE
Purple bag o shite plant, gopping!
Nuff said.

tiv

LE
Looks nice but 'Bluuurrrgh'
Liver <shudders>
I'd eat anything when I was a lad, tripe and onions, tripe poached in milk, cow heel pie, but I could never stomach liver. Me Mam knew this and guess what she used to give me???? Sugar butties. I don't think she could afford jam.
Mrs Biff and the biffettes eat it, not with me in the same house though. I don't know what it is about cooked liver but it makes me feel physically ill.
My mother used to cook liver and I couldn't stand it, loved the smell, the look of it but the taste, NO! I got married and my wife served up liver one night unknowing and I loved it. The difference - my mother used Ox Liver and my wife used Lamb's Liver. She used to pan fry it but since I started doing the cooking I use a Hot Pot recipe which is even better.

My mother used to cook liver and I couldn't stand it, loved the smell, the look of it but the taste, NO! I got married and my wife served up liver one night unknowing and I loved it. The difference - my mother used Ox Liver and my wife used Lamb's Liver. She used to pan fry it but since I started doing the cooking I use a Hot Pot recipe which is even better.
I think what put people off liver in the past was the actual liver they used. School dinner liver (which I assume was ox liver) was all pipes and tubes, and needed to be cut into 2mm bits to ensure you weren't chewing on inedible bits.
Difficult to eat, but tasted good.
Lambs liver on the other hand is tender and delicious

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I think what put people off liver in the past was the actual liver they used. School dinner liver (which I assume was ox liver) was all pipes and tubes, and needed to be cut into 2mm bits to ensure you weren't chewing on inedible bits.
Difficult to eat, but tasted good.
Lambs liver on the other hand is tender and delicious
And calves liver even nicer.

Looks nice but 'Bluuurrrgh'
Liver <shudders>
I'd eat anything when I was a lad, tripe and onions, tripe poached in milk, cow heel pie, but I could never stomach liver. Me Mam knew this and guess what she used to give me???? Sugar butties. I don't think she could afford jam.
Mrs Biff and the biffettes eat it, not with me in the same house though. I don't know what it is about cooked liver but it makes me feel physically ill.
Mum used to make a lovely meatloaf. But we'd never eat liver. So one week she decided to put one over on us and mix some liver into the meatloaf. One bite and it was spat out, it tasted horrible. Even she couldn't eat it. The dog was happy though.

Kirkz

LE
My Dad swore by pig liver.

She wasnt impressed when I laid the table a couple of months ago like this. The sherry glass as she cant drink a normal wine glass without becoming drunk!!
View attachment 506545
I'm not surprised she wasn't impressed. Knife laid with edge outwards, cutlery not aligned with bottom of table mat, glass on the wrong side.

Pig's liver is a stronger taste - beautiful flash fried though.

Kirkz

LE
How dare you disrespect my Dad (RIP).
Choose your weapon, we fight at dawn.

Purple bag o shite plant, gopping!
Nuff said.
Absolutely agree, but I live amongst those who err on the side of vegetation. I won't eat them but this was an attempt at brownie points.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not surprised she wasn't impressed. Knife laid with edge outwards, cutlery not aligned with bottom of table mat, glass on the wrong side.
Fuck me, everyone's a critic these days, there's too much regulation of cutlery alignment, quadrants of plates, are you all on the spectrum? (In @supermatelot's case, we know he is, too much sun around the tropics when he was on one of HM's finest war canoes)

Fuck me, everyone's a critic these days, there's too much regulation of cutlery alignment, quadrants of plates, are you all on the spectrum? (In @supermatelot's case, we know he is, too much sun around the tropics when he was on one of HM's finest war canoes)

There's an argument that everybody is on the spectrum, it's just a matter of where.

Can you (or anyone) honestly say that you/they have never, ever done anything slightly (or a lot) eccentric, just a bit odd, or downright stupid? Something that a wholly-rational person would not have done in the same circumstances?

For starters, there's tens of thousands of ex- and serving squaddies, crabs and matelots that, when tapping the boards, had nothing better to say than "it seemed like the thing to do at the time, Sir". :)

Kirkz

LE
There's an argument that everybody is on the spectrum, it's just a matter of where.

Can you (or anyone) honestly say that you/they have never, ever done anything slightly (or a lot) eccentric, just a bit odd, or downright stupid? Something that a wholly-rational person would not have done in the same circumstances?

For starters, there's tens of thousands of ex- and serving squaddies, crabs and matelots that, when tapping the boards, had nothing better to say than "it seemed like the thing to do at the time, Sir". :)
Yes. 30 years after serving I still do smiley socks.

Latest Threads