Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
In the past I would agree but when you have a girlfriend who thinks a sauce of food, let alone a dinner plate, is too much it is becoming an increasingly common Sunday evening problem :oops:
Serious head on:
I hope you /she are getting medical help for whatever is causing this.

Serious head off:
Change your cooking style!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That looks great. May I ask what temperature and how long. Cheers.
40 minutes in the roasting oven, 8 hours in the simmering oven ;-)

Rubbed with a mixture of ras-el-hanout, paprika, and water.

I've been hard at work perfecting my Chinese fried noodles to taste like take away, here's the recipe...

1. One marinated char sui pork belly sliced wafer thin
2. Pack of fresh egg noodles
3. Dark soya sauce
4. One medium red onion cut in chunks
5. I small carrot sliced into fine strips.
6. A few cashew nuts
7. Sesame oil 50/50 vegetable oil
8. Slug of oyster sauce
9. Pinch of Msg , optional.

Fry off meat first use the fat that comes out to flavour up the wok, add oil , in with the onions and carrots until they soften a bit, noodles in and cashews, give it a good Wok' ing and get the soy sauce in , all the flavour really comes from the dark soy so you need lots of until you get those dark brown noodles, they should be nice and greasy just like Mrs Wong down the takeaway does them but less botulism.
IMG_20200922_225143.jpg

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Karamoja

War Hero
A stuffed yellow pepper tonight. One half with savoury mince, the other with sliced courgette, celery and leeks topped with cheese accompanied with fried leftover potatoes.

IMG_20200923_183954~2.jpg

Liver and Bacon Hot Pot

View attachment 506747
Looks nice but 'Bluuurrrgh'
Liver <shudders>
I'd eat anything when I was a lad, tripe and onions, tripe poached in milk, cow heel pie, but I could never stomach liver. Me Mam knew this and guess what she used to give me???? Sugar butties. I don't think she could afford jam.
Mrs Biff and the biffettes eat it, not with me in the same house though. I don't know what it is about cooked liver but it makes me feel physically ill.

Liver <shudders>
I'd eat anything when I was a lad, tripe and onions, tripe poached in milk, cow heel pie, but I could never stomach liver. Me Mam knew this and guess what she used to give me???? Sugar butties. I don't think she could afford jam.
Mrs Biff and the biffettes eat it, not with me in the same house though. I don't know what it is about cooked liver but it makes me feel physically ill.
Ah, sugar butties, a childhood treat!
No wonder my teeth are fecked

If you have a glut of green tomatoes and cannot face more chutney, I have found a recipe for pickled green tomatoes.

1kg green tomatoes
A few sprigs of dill
2-3 bay leaves
2-3 fresh or dried chillies
1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
4-5 cloves
1 litre cider vinegar
125 ml water
4 tbsp honey or sugar
1 tbsp salt

1. Lightly prick each tomato several times with a cocktail stick. Put in a sterilized 1.5 litre jar with the herbs and spices.

2. Put the vinegar, water, honey or sugar in a non- corrosive pan. Bring to the boil, and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.

3. Pour the warm vinegar into the jar. If there is not enough liquid to cover the tomatoes top up with cold vinegar. Weight down the tomatoes, then seal. Ready to eat in a month, but will improve for 2 to 3 months' keeping.

Recipe from " Preserving Through the Year " by Oded Schwartz, pub. Dorling Kindersley.

Kirkz

LE
Liver <shudders>
Is it because like most people back in the day it was over cooked and went mealy? I used to hate liver as a kid but these days just lightly fried so it's still pink and tender I really like it.

Is it because like most people back in the day it was over cooked and went mealy? I used to hate liver as a kid but these days just lightly fried so it's still pink and tender I really like it.
Could be but I just can't stand the texture even when lightly cooked. It's not handling it raw that puts me off either. We feed it our dog raw so once a month I mince kg of the stuff and hand mix it with other offal.

Jacques Pepin's French omelette, find it on YouTube. Normally I dunk some flour in my egg mix, comes out a bit like cake, but I followed this skit with just three eggs in an eight-inch pan and it was firm on the outside, hot and runny in the middle. A shitload of butter in the pan, which merges into the egg mix. Ooh. Avec bacon, mushrooms, des tomates and les spring onions, heavy on the salt and pepper too. Clever to hold some of the egg mix back, then pour over seconds before serving from a pan as hot as you dare - it continues cooking on the plate.

I find him a practical and un-assuming telly cook, with sensible ideas, just a bit French though. No picture of my tea: I ate it.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't have much time at lunch today so I thought I would do a quick/cheap/basic version of Welsh Rarebit. Cut some cheese and shoved it on toast. Put the lot under the grill for a short while then pulled it out, dribbled some L&P on it and shoved it back under the grill. The only problem was the L&P promptly decided to wander off in the wrong directions and all I finished up with was some stained cheese on toast.

1 rarebit lunch.jpg

Still it was tasty cheese on toast.

Latest Threads