Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

quilter

War Hero
Well... we seem to be on the right track. I used @gorillaguts981’s proportions, and @Grownup_Rafbrat’s grandmother’s whisking advice, and that seems to have yielded significantly better results. These rose quite well, but I screwed myself by having too much oil in the pan. As I poured the batter in, the oil swamped the top of the batter in each pot, thus they went all crinkly and burned a little on the tops. They also don’t have the classic concave shape, but did at least rise. I had the oven on 475 (246C), with the fan on. I think that may have been a bit hot too.

I’ll let everything cool down, wash up, and try again in an hour or two with much less oil in the individual pots.

View attachment 506160
Absolutely yum yum, congratulations ;)

Rab_C

War Hero
Well... we seem to be on the right track. I used @gorillaguts981’s proportions, and @Grownup_Rafbrat’s grandmother’s whisking advice, and that seems to have yielded significantly better results. These rose quite well, but I screwed myself by having too much oil in the pan. As I poured the batter in, the oil swamped the top of the batter in each pot, thus they went all crinkly and burned a little on the tops. They also don’t have the classic concave shape, but did at least rise. I had the oven on 475 (246C), with the fan on. I think that may have been a bit hot too.

I’ll let everything cool down, wash up, and try again in an hour or two with much less oil in the individual pots.

View attachment 506160
Nothing wrong with those. I believe I make good yorkies but when making individual ones like these only 30-40% have the “classic concave” shape. Shape doesn’t alter taste......

Rab_C

War Hero
A bit of a cheat as 80% shop bought from Waitrose. Had been away for the weekend and wanted a tasty quick dinner. The results were satisfying, rice is homemade rest is shop bought.
C30BA251-AE2E-4922-98B7-3D4CC68BFF21.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
A friend gave me apples, many many apples.
So I made apple suet pudding with custard for dessert tonight. Added raisins and cinnamon to the apples in the suet coffin. It was blooming gorgeous!
20200921_202708_resized.jpg
20200921_202830_resized.jpg
20200921_202925_resized.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
i brush the sides with the hot oil, they seem to come out easiler
I cook them in lard. Burns hotter than oil, fizzles nicely when you put the batter in, and they certainly rise...

I cook them in lard. Burns hotter than oil, fizzles nicely when you put the batter in, and they certainly rise...
Same, although over the last five years or so it has become almost impossible to get proper lard in Germany. What you can still get though is goose fat, which also works, but is not quite the same.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Same, although over the last five years ago it has become almost impossible to get proper lard in Germany. What you can still get though is goose fat, which also works, but is not quite the same.
Surprised as lidl here stock it.

Well...

Took the oven down to 425 (~225C). Whisked the bejesus out of the batter. Used lard, not oil. Much better. Now I still don’t have the concave shape, but I’m thinking that’s because of the size of the pots vs the amount of batter I’m putting in. Maybe make 9 instead of 6 with this amount of batter, or use a pan with bigger pots. Lordy, I thought I’d never get there!

Many thanks to @gorillaguts981 and @Grownup_Rafbrat for the tips.

3E7EA1F6-9C9A-4CC7-A065-33ED5945B7C0.jpeg
7F248E78-C62B-4C55-97D3-856749AB5B32.jpeg

Well...

Took the oven down to 425 (~225C). Whisked the bejesus out of the batter. Used lard, not oil. Much better. Now I still don’t have the concave shape, but I’m thinking that’s because of the size of the pots vs the amount of batter I’m putting in. Maybe make 9 instead of 6 with this amount of batter, or use a pan with bigger pots. Lordy, I thought I’d never get there!

Many thanks to @gorillaguts981 and @Grownup_Rafbrat for the tips.

View attachment 506278View attachment 506280

Well, you will try to bbq them, use an oven I tells ya, BGE is not yorkie friendly...

:smile:

JB

oh, there was a chippie in skipton did chips in lard years back, bet its gone,
When I moved to Scotland in 1981, the best of the town's chippies cooked in lard.
I can remember eating my bag of chips in the street, taking a mouthful of cold coke, and my mouth instantly congealed.
They tasted great though

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Same, although over the last five years or so it has become almost impossible to get proper lard in Germany. What you can still get though is goose fat, which also works, but is not quite the same.
No butchers left?

I'm sure most butchers will have spek or pork fat. Make your own lard by rendering it. Cut into inch size squares or chunks and just stick in a pan over medium high heat. Keep draining the lard off as it cooks off and you're left with kaiings once it's all done. They can be eaten with a bit of salt as a bar snack. Turn down the heat the last few minutes or they'll burn as they dry out.

If they have smoked spek, even better. Do a small amount of smokey lard for frying bacon and eggs.

Latest Threads