Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Daube of beef
20200920_180645_resized.jpg

Another fantastic display. Out of curiousity what degines a Daube ?
Thank you kindly.

I've always taken it to mean a single piece of meat braised in a bottle of red wine, with root veg that you discard when it's cooked and then reduce the liquor down to a gravy.

clothears

War Hero
Well, French bread it is. French flour, water, yeast, salt. It seemed odd but it worked. Lovely light loaf (dough too light to handle when making the slashes), but looks could be improved. View attachment 505919View attachment 505920

Google Artisan Bread. I've had great success with it. Flour, yeast, water and a cast iron pot that has a lid. It's lovely and me being lazy likes the fact that I walk away and leave it to do it's thing

Google Artisan Bread. I've had great success with it. Flour, yeast, water and a cast iron pot that has a lid. It's lovely and me being lazy likes the fact that I walk away and leave it to do it's thing

Don't forget the salt. Around one and a half teaspoons per kg of flour.

Ribeye roast last night, with twice baked potatoes, peas, Collard greens, gravy, and some bread. I had another go at Yorkshire puddings, which tasted fine, but really didn’t rise like I would have preferred. I don’t have a 6-pot baking tin, I’ve got 4, 8 or 12. 6 for dinner, so it was the 8-pot, which has rectangular pots.

Still, I don’t think it’s the shape, I think it’s the stronger flour over here. The batter recipe is pretty straightforward, no real way to get that wrong, the oven had the fat smoking, and still they didn’t puff up much. Might try them with a little bit of baking powder next time. Or maybe 80% of the flour. Or one egg less.

55A7BC82-8CA3-4D63-A79F-D9C3CB51D90D.jpeg

7E8A4F35-75B0-4C3B-B68C-94DA6547B283.jpeg

Equal volumes of plain flour, milk and egg. Whisk and stand at least 20 mins. Whisk vigorously just before pouring into a smoking hot pan. Mine come up like bouncy castles.

Equal volumes of plain flour, milk and egg. Whisk and stand at least 20 mins. Whisk vigorously just before pouring into a smoking hot pan. Mine come up like bouncy castles.

That’s somewhat different then to the recipe (Ramsay’s) that I used. That had 4 eggs, cup and a half of milk, cup and a quarter of flour, 1/2 tsp salt.

I will try your recipe, thank you.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s somewhat different then to the recipe (Ramsay’s) that I used. That had 4 eggs, cup and a half of milk, cup and a quarter of flour, 1/2 tsp salt.

I will try your recipe, thank you.
It's the amount of air you beat into it that makes the difference, according to my Grandmother. She always used a whisk to combine and beat the ingredients. The number of eggs helps too.

Well I’m having another go for S&G, using @gorillaguts981’s proportions. I used a blender to mix it, I might try whisking it before I put it in the pan. The batter is chilling as I write. Two eggs, which amounted to half a cup. Half a cup of milk, half a cup of flour. half a tsp of salt. We’ll see.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I’m having another go for S&G, using @gorillaguts981’s proportions. I used a blender to mix it, I might try whisking it before I put it in the pan. The batter is chilling as I write. Two eggs, which amounted to half a cup. Half a cup of milk, half a cup of flour. half a tsp of salt. We’ll see.
Good luck.

Well... we seem to be on the right track. I used @gorillaguts981’s proportions, and @Grownup_Rafbrat’s grandmother’s whisking advice, and that seems to have yielded significantly better results. These rose quite well, but I screwed myself by having too much oil in the pan. As I poured the batter in, the oil swamped the top of the batter in each pot, thus they went all crinkly and burned a little on the tops. They also don’t have the classic concave shape, but did at least rise. I had the oven on 475 (246C), with the fan on. I think that may have been a bit hot too.

I’ll let everything cool down, wash up, and try again in an hour or two with much less oil in the individual pots.

F0882801-EADE-4537-81FB-EC86610F369E.jpeg

Well... we seem to be on the right track. I used @gorillaguts981’s proportions, and @Grownup_Rafbrat’s grandmother’s whisking advice, and that seems to have yielded significantly better results. These rose quite well, but I screwed myself by having too much oil in the pan. As I poured the batter in, the oil swamped the top of the batter in each pot, thus they went all crinkly and burned a little on the tops. They also don’t have the classic concave shape, but did at least rise. I had the oven on 475 (246C), with the fan on. I think that may have been a bit hot too.

I’ll let everything cool down, wash up, and try again in an hour or two with much less oil in the individual pots.

View attachment 506160
That's more like it. Glad to be of service. When the kids were small, I used to half cook eight sausages then cut each into three. Then I made 24 small yorkies with a sausage in each so we had mini toads.

Latest Threads