Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Interesting that they eventually got something right. Real bread doesn't require sugar and oil/fat.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
An appeal to the sea of knowledge. We were accumulating bell peppers at an alarming rate so I got the blow torch on them, scraped off the skins, cut up and immersed in olive oil with a couple of cloves of garlic. Now, after a week and a half there is a ring of bubbles forming indicating fermentation. Is it safe to eat them? Only the wife eats them and I don't want her turning herself inside out. I have enough trouble with the dog.

Today’s brunch. Chicken schnitzels with Bratkartoffen.
C90F7D9A-5474-46BD-A0A0-AC3E715E6F9D.jpeg

Spaghetti looks to cooked. Not your fault as just about 99.9 % of the UK do not know how to cook pasta. Boiling water, salt, pasta , test , test ,test. Not to soft not to hard or al dente .
I usually do it till there is just a tiniest hint of bite in the middle, but still bends on a test fork?
Seems to taste a lot better too.

Interesting that they eventually got something right. Real bread doesn't require sugar and oil/fat.

Must admit that I use a teaspoon of sugar to get the yeast starter going.

If I'm making soft rolls as opposed to bread I will use a 75/25 milk water mix and add 75g of butter to a 800g mix...

JB

An appeal to the sea of knowledge. We were accumulating bell peppers at an alarming rate so I got the blow torch on them, scraped off the skins, cut up and immersed in olive oil with a couple of cloves of garlic. Now, after a week and a half there is a ring of bubbles forming indicating fermentation. Is it safe to eat them? Only the wife eats them and I don't want her turning herself inside out. I have enough trouble with the dog.

Smell test should be a good indicator. Next time cut in half lengthways, scoop out the innards and roast them with tomatoes, garlic, onion and aubergine. Stick in a jar while hot, top with a squeeze of lemon and some oil, lid on and into the fridge.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Baps.

End of message.
Apropos of nothing, did you know that the professional body for Breast Surgeons is BAAPS? (British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)

Am I the only one to find this amusing?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, French bread it is. French flour, water, yeast, salt. It seemed odd but it worked. Lovely light loaf (dough too light to handle when making the slashes), but looks could be improved.
20200920_161434_resized.jpg
20200920_164847_resized_1.jpg

It seems I had a void in the top of the last loaf I made, so egg ‘n bacon toastier this morning were just like Army banjos, runny egg all over the place. Still, the slices of toast have happy, smiley faces :)

9A937375-2C71-4F08-8557-54E346EDD052.jpeg

quilter

War Hero
Apropos of nothing, did you know that the professional body for Breast Surgeons is BAAPS? (British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)

Am I the only one to find this amusing?
Having been a "customer" of these esteemed folks yes it is a funny, pointless crying over it trust me, saved my life so BAAPS - keep going :grin:

Latest Threads