Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Not cooking really but cut the first chilies for infusion today.

16A36BF9-7F2F-460A-9BDA-B9FC0F98460A.jpeg

Then in virgin olive oil for 4 months with garlic and basil,rosmarino. Great.
1ABFAB11-D149-4228-A82A-1A1384E8C34E.jpeg

Hmmm, bit of a schoolboy error earlier. I bought some so called hot green chillies from Longos for use in various things. I was going to put some in coleslaw so I tested one to see how Hot and it was nothing, like a green pepper really, disappointing. So a bit later I scratched my eye. It was then I realized that a) I had not washed my hands and b) they do have some go after all..

Last edited:
Hmmm, bit of a schoolboy error earlier. I bought some so called hot green chillies from Longos for use in various things. I was going to put some in coleslaw so I tested one to see how Hot and it was nothing, like a green pepper really, disappointing. So a bit later I scratched my eye. It was then I realized that a) I hand not washed my hands and b) they do have some go after all..

To save waste, I use frozen chilli, garlic and ginger from Morrison's, only problem with the chilli is it tends to be of variable strength....

From mild to blow your arrse off, Mrs JB is still squeaking...

JB

Gyoza (Japanese potstickers); their version of ravioli.

There was quite a bit of fannying about making it, but it was Wor Little Uns birthday yesterday and she requested it. Had it with Japanese rice and a cucumber salad (also Japanese style):

Mince pork, ginger, garlic, chives, soy sauce and sesame oil:

P1011289 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Then fold them like this:

P1011297 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

Then the clever bit, you fry them in oil, pour some water over them and steam them, then lift the lid and boil the water off so they fry again; they're soft on top and crispy underneath.

P1011308 by Whey-Aye-One, on Flickr

No photo of the final product because I just banged them on top of a bowl of rice and it wasn't very pretty.

Took about 90 minutes to make and was demolished in about 10.
In another lifetime I spent 6 months working on Hokkaido. In that time I ate some of the most sublime food ( sushi, sashimi , rich noodle dishes at Hanami ) , and some of the worst : corn dogs (American i know), and curry filled doughnuts .

In another lifetime I spent 6 months working on Hokkaido. In that time I ate some of the most sublime food ( sushi, sashimi , rich noodle dishes at Hanami ) , and some of the worst : corn dogs (American i know), and curry filled doughnuts .

If you ever get the chance, order a sukiyaki. It's Japanese hot pot; it's their equivalent of a Sunday dinner family meal. It's lush; best food ever. Easy to do and great if you've guests (you can do all the prep beforehand and cook it at a table on a portable gas cooker).

Sashimi's nice, but unlike sushi, it really does look like slices of raw fish on rice.

My Obachan (granny) was a top cook; she'd even make noodles from scratch, so I've been spoilt Japanese food wise.

Tonight's efforts

L'aperitif
20200919_172646_resized.jpg

Baked lobster tail, spiced butter
20200919_190301_resized.jpg

Pan fried duck breast, roasted root vegetables, beetroot puree
20200919_192937_resized.jpg

Tarte tatin
20200919_200718_resized.jpg

20200919_201326_resized.jpg

With hazelnut crunch and vanilla ice cream

Not cooking really but cut the first chilies for infusion today.

View attachment 505676

Then in virgin olive oil for 4 months with garlic and basil,rosmarino. Great.
View attachment 505677
Sorry if this is bone, but is this for frying with or marinades and dressings ?

I use it for cooking .I suppose frying . Far too spicy for marinades. However Mrs OB is going to get the rest of the red chilies. Stick them in a blender with olive oil and some garlic . Quick wizz and stick them in a jar.

Toast some village bread and cover with the paste is a nice starter. Bruschetta.

Not at all mucker - always willing to share my recipes on here, even if occasionally they are directly from a jar or packet! :smile:
That’s what makes this one of the best threads imho - no willy waving or pointless tit for tat insults, which infects almost every other part of the site.
Ahaa but that's only because @stacker1 doesn't know about this thread...;-);-);-)

Ahaa but that's only because @stacker1 doesn't know about this thread...;-);-);-)
He does now, seeing as you’ve tagged him! Was he the part of the RLC that could cook? :smile:
To be fair to @stacker1 he at least put in a decent shift in the Regulars, unlike many who infest this site.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Today I am attempting French bread. French flour, yeast, salt, water, time.

If the results are not too disappointing I will post a pic, but bread with no fat or sugar seems weird....

Kirkz

LE
Today I am attempting French bread. French flour, yeast, salt, water, time.

If the results are not too disappointing I will post a pic, but bread with no fat or sugar seems weird....
It is weird, its fFrench!

Breakfast sausage and egg mush_muffin
20200920_094822_resized.jpg

Hmmm, bit of a schoolboy error earlier. I bought some so called hot green chillies from Longos for use in various things. I was going to put some in coleslaw so I tested one to see how Hot and it was nothing, like a green pepper really, disappointing. So a bit later I scratched my eye. It was then I realized that a) I had not washed my hands and b) they do have some go after all..

When you find chilis you like, buy a pound or two and the same weight of garlic. Peel the garlic and chuck the lot in a bowl then hit it with a stick blender until well chopped and slightly chunky. Salt, squeeze of lemon and top up with olive oil then keep in a jar in the fridge. Lasts ages and goes with everything. Just add a bit of oil and a pinch of salt to use on pizza or cream based pasta. Goes well in salad dressings too.

Latest Threads