Tonight I cooked..........

Tin of Nido helps as well. If it's sealed going in no one gives a shit I've found.

Those capsule machines are now in most places and they usually only put one tea and the rest coffee. First thing I do checking in is try to find the housekeeping folks and swop my coffees for tea. They always seem eager to do so, obviously having loads of tea as no one there seems to drink it. The capsule tea isn't too grim and you can get two brews from a single one and chuck it in an insulated mug.

Re; milk. Best milk I have ever had was in Ireland. However:
Milk from the big NAAFI in Fallingbostel was, I‘m certain, Danish. If someone can clarify (not the milk) I would be grateful. Germans do UHT milk, but the milk we got was ‘normal’. It was lovely and rich.
They also did buttermilk in carton, which is oddly addictive.

My brew kit is a small Tupperware tub with half a doz teabags, teaspoon bent to fit, hotel jampot with instant coffee and tubes of sugar in case I have guests. If necessary, I milk a passing cow.

After trying Liptons tea when I was over the pond I now understand why Septics drink so much coffee.
It’s not really meant for hot tea so much as the chilled tea drink. Bigelow’s is a common brand for hot tea, but it’s barely better than Lipton. Most supermarkets round here stock Yorkshire/PG etc. I get Taylor’s from Amazon. Been here a while, I do like “sweet tea”, especially the peach variety. But got a big mug of Taylor’s on the go right now.

Only place I found decent tea in the US is Asian supermarkets. They usually have PG or Tetley etc. The one I found in Savannah GA had a large Lincoln Continental outside with a personalised plate 'PATEL'. And it was on a block corner. Cue stereotyping comments.

Only place I found decent tea in the US is Asian supermarkets. They usually have PG or Tetley etc. The one I found in Savannah GA had a large Lincoln Continental outside with a personalised plate 'PATEL'. And it was on a block corner. Cue stereotyping comments.
If you’re in the South, you’ll find Publix. I’ve never been in one that didn’t have a British section, and that will have tea. Savannah would definitely have had several Publix branches. Weirdly, there is a chain of grocery stores in Dubai called Choitram’s, and they look just like Publix inside. Like Home Depot and B&Q, one of them has ripped the other one off, and I’m not sure which :)

If you’re in the South, you’ll find Publix. I’ve never been in one that didn’t have a British section, and that will have tea. Savannah would definitely have had several Publix branches. Weirdly, there is a chain of grocery stores in Dubai called Choitram’s, and they look just like Publix inside. Like Home Depot and B&Q, one of them has ripped the other one off, and I’m not sure which :)
B&Q kicked off a decade earlier.

Block and Quayle.

You think Block might have found himself a business partner called Mr Tackle. Or Mr Chain.

B&Q kicked off a decade earlier.

Block and Quayle.

You think Block might have found himself a business partner called Mr Tackle. Or Mr Chain.
I knew it was Block & Quayle, but the stores used to be red, with different branding. When I lived in Poole, we had one of the first “Depot” stores, which were orange with the same stencil fonts and price signage as THD. The question still was in my mind as to which chain ripped the other’s branding off, it could still have been either. But this old article seems to explain it.

quilter

Old-Salt
Re; milk. Best milk I have ever had was in Ireland. However:
Milk from the big NAAFI in Fallingbostel was, I‘m certain, Danish. If someone can clarify (not the milk) I would be grateful. Germans do UHT milk, but the milk we got was ‘normal’. It was lovely and rich.
They also did buttermilk in carton, which is oddly addictive.
Yes yes yes., my two offspring were brought up on that fab Danish milk from all NAAFIs, green and white cartons, each week we bought a crate of and straight into the freezer., a pleasure to drink by itself, great with cereals, best with German brand ground Coffee Jacobs Kronung (apologies for lack of an umlaut) also PG Tips which to this day I carry a supply when ever leaving home for a short time.
Would be fab if we could have a regular supply of that Danish milk,eh?:boogie:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
After trying Liptons tea when I was over the pond I now understand why Septics drink so much coffee.
And why they drink their tea cold and watered down by ice.

Long Island Iced Tea, now there's a good American drink!

ETA:
Funnily enough, the best ones I have had were in a restaurant on the Waterfront in Cape Town.
They are a nice drink if its hot and sticky.

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Burgers tonight.

20200811_222401.jpg

Served with some fried mushrooms and salad.
20200811_222347.jpg

McShitties I've shit em.

11am call from Police HQ Polis Scotland
Dad?
Remember the brokky/cauli pasta cheese bake when I was a kid..my favourite?
Me: Aye?
Him: Have one done for 6pm for 4.
Me: It's just 3 of us.
Him: Bringing a mate.
Me. How about YOU "do one"?
Him.
I'm picking your Nursing Home OK?
Me. Oh...aye right. See you 1800 hrs.
Him. Correct response.
:oops:

Your response should have been, "Picking my nursing home are you? Better make it a really cheap one then, I'm spending your inheritance on booze and hoors".

Tomatoes, lettuce , onion and herbs from the garden.

Mixed up a lobster with a few fish sticks , olive oil, basmatic vinaigrette. Supposed to use a lemon , used them all last week so put in fresh lemon grass .

Never bother to de flesh the legs , just chew them for the flavor.

61FF11D9-3379-49C5-8B4B-1CE4055E8E05.jpeg

Latest Threads