Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
back in the milk delivery days our milkman sold me a polystyrene box to put the milk in to keep the birds out and stop it freezing. Then going forward he put the milk next to not in it. When I asked him why when he came for the next pay time, he said they were a pain in the ass to put the milk in and he didn’t have time. Can’t remember how we settled but I remember he was a bit surprised I was pissed off.
Our milkman always uses (apart from his days off when his relief doesn't bother) my really old polystyrene Express milk box thing with a lifting lid and takes two pints. It certainly keeps the milk cooler considering it comes from his truck cooler chest.

quilter

Old-Salt
A colleague when I worked in Central Birmingham used to have 'sterra' in her tea.

Gopping was a polite word for the taste of this vile brew.
Have to agree 100%, raised on sterilised milk yuk - until school when we had a 3rd of a pint pasteurised with top of the full cream milk, every day, glorious, several in my class didn't care for it so I as milk monitor made damn sure theirs came to me, this continued well into 6th form, when we were allowed to utilise the Staff room, saucepans, cooker and Nescafe, (felt so grown up) trouble was by the time it was ready to drink playtime oops break time was virtually over - but the sheer joy of glugging down an ice cold delicious third never left and these days I stick to full cream and only have semi skimmed for emergencies. Thanks for reminding me.
BTW, is it Goppen or Gopping, just asking for a friend. :grin:

JuniorBod

War Hero
Thanks, but pray tell me, from whence does it originate - I heard it first in BAOR and no UK civvies use it to my knowledge - I think it's a perfect adjective to be used for everything vile. :D
Guards Div as was, then Bde of... Now Bns I suppose...

JB

JuniorBod

War Hero
Thanks, but pray tell me, from whence does it originate - I heard it first in BAOR and no UK civvies use it to my knowledge - I think it's a perfect adjective to be used for everything vile. :D
Was definitely a thing at Guards Desperate Pirbright in the 80s, that/this is gopping, you are a gopper, stayed with me during my service

Even now nearly 15 years in to 2(UK) Civ Div will come the expletive that's fecking gopping...

JB

Rab_C

War Hero
Have to agree 100%, raised on sterilised milk yuk - until school when we had a 3rd of a pint pasteurised with top of the full cream milk, every day, glorious, several in my class didn't care for it so I as milk monitor made damn sure theirs came to me, this continued well into 6th form, when we were allowed to utilise the Staff room, saucepans, cooker and Nescafe, (felt so grown up) trouble was by the time it was ready to drink playtime oops break time was virtually over - but the sheer joy of glugging down an ice cold delicious third never left and these days I stick to full cream and only have semi skimmed for emergencies. Thanks for reminding me.
BTW, is it Goppen or Gopping, just asking for a friend. :grin:
Summer of 74 and it was all curdled by playtime as left outside in the sun.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bangers and fried mash with onion gravy.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Used at my school in the 70s, but there was a large number of 'daughters-of' in attendance.

Kirkz

LE
Last night was rib eye steak, chips, mushrooms and veg with peppercorn sauce.

20200810_205032_copy_718x643.jpg

Today's lunch, home made salmon terrine...

salmon.jpeg

Yup, mush_nan had it too in Bootle. I think its because only posh people from Crosby had fridges in those days. Agree with previous posters, it was gopping. Could just about manage it in coffee but in tea it was vile. IIRC grandad_mush used to swig it straight from the bottle but then again he was a hardcore chronic alcoholic so I doubt he tasted anything.
It is vile.

When I worked in KSA in the mid-70s the locals used to put condensed milk in their tea. That was truly disgusting.

I have drunk black tea and coffee since then.

Oddly enough the tea (drunk black) was pretty good if it was locally packed stuff. Less so with the awful Septic Liptons tea bags.

Kirkz

LE
It is vile.

When I worked in KSA in the mid-70s the locals used to put condensed milk in their tea. That was truly disgusting.

I have drunk black tea and coffee since then.

Oddly enough the tea (drunk black) was pretty good if it was locally packed stuff. Less so with the awful Septic Liptons tea bags.
After trying Liptons tea when I was over the pond I now understand why Septics drink so much coffee.

I carry my own stash of tea bags when going for sim training in North America. They're utterly clueless about making a decent brew.

Cue the mad tart yootoob clip.

I carry my own stash of tea bags when going for sim training in North America. They're utterly clueless about making a decent brew.

Cue the mad tart yootoob clip.
Me too.

Carry a few Darjeeling tea bags in my walking jacket.

Costa used to give me free hot water etc, I insisted on paying. They insisted on me not paying. I always paid in greasy spoons as the teabag is about one fiftieth of the cost of a cuppa.

Latest Threads