Tonight I cooked..........

I seem to remember our local birds being very partial to the top of the milk, especially when there was only a flimsy tinfoil cap between bird and milk

I seem to remember our local birds being very partial to the top of the milk, especially when there was only a flimsy tinfoil cap between bird and milk
Yep in fact milk doesn't taste the same without a bit of blue/great tit spit in it*.

*Other tits and varieties of bird where available but it always seemed to be those buggers I caught having a drink when I had to fetch the milk in as a lad.

Yep in fact milk doesn't taste the same without a bit of blue/great tit spit in it*.

*Other tits and varieties of bird where available but it always seemed to be those buggers I caught having a drink when I had to fetch the milk in as a lad.
We managed to train the milkman to put flat stones on top of the bottles. What a nice man.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
@ancienturion remembers cardboard milk bottle tops ;-)

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Kirkz

LE
I've found blue tits dead stuck in the milk bottle neck.
We managed to train the milkman to put flat stones on top of the bottles. What a nice man.
I've got aerosol caps attached by string to a pirece of wood screwed to the wall that the milkman puts over the bottles.

My Nanny (as a woman living on her own) had straight sided bottles of UHT with a crown cap. I never had tea when we visited every Saturday. They called it sterilised milk and had a bloody awful taste, but never went off.

Kirkz

LE
My Nanny (as a woman living on her own) had straight sided bottles of UHT with a crown cap. I never had tea when we visited every Saturday. They called it sterilised milk and had a bloody awful taste, but never went off.
Did she live in Warrington?
Steri milk was popular there, I've got relatives on my mothers side from there.
I never drank tea there either, steri is gopping.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
A colleague when I worked in Central Birmingham used to have 'sterra' in her tea.

Gopping was a polite word for the taste of this vile brew.

Cassoulet tonight but with a brattie rather than boudin blonc
20200810_184733.jpg

Boston.

Doing a Rick Stein now and finished eating shot
1597083153213289959335041860960.jpg

back in the milk delivery days our milkman sold me a polystyrene box to put the milk in to keep the birds out and stop it freezing. Then going forward he put the milk next to not in it. When I asked him why when he came for the next pay time, he said they were a pain in the ass to put the milk in and he didn’t have time. Can’t remember how we settled but I remember he was a bit surprised I was pissed off.

Corned Beef Hash with a couple of fried eggs. Brilliant comfort food.

432AF0F6-E55C-4843-8821-EABC589D0E2C.jpeg

Yup, mush_nan had it too in Bootle. I think its because only posh people from Crosby had fridges in those days. Agree with previous posters, it was gopping. Could just about manage it in coffee but in tea it was vile. IIRC grandad_mush used to swig it straight from the bottle but then again he was a hardcore chronic alcoholic so I doubt he tasted anything.

Latest Threads