Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Tonight's dinner was just the same as post #56328 except I changed the meats for chicken kebab.

Cheers Mukker, it was well tasty, just a shame the gravy was from granules rather than from meat juices.
If you roasted the pork belly then you could have put a sliced onion in with it. Then when the pork was done and resting, tip the onions into a pan, chuck some flour into the onions, add some veg water and crumble in an oxo. Bob's your mother's brother.

Kirkz

LE
If you roasted the pork belly then you could have put a sliced onion in with it. Then when the pork was done and resting, tip the onions into a pan, chuck some flour into the onions, add some veg water and crumble in an oxo. Bob's your mother's brother.
I could have, but I was busy most of today and it was a bit of a rush job to get tea on the table at a resonable time.

JuniorBod

War Hero
That's my go to, you can even get a decent gravy out of the juices of pan fried chops...

JB

Kirkz

LE
How long on the belly pork. I never seem to get mine right and those look perfect size for me.
About half an hour, turned after 15 mins.

@Roadster280 establish commas mate.

Edir.. I will leave the autocorrect typo intact..as I still think highly prescient , and relevent.

*comms

I always add a splash of milk to a pan of courgette or mushroom soup.
I would use cream, but I never buy it so never any in the hoose!
Was making a curry recently & realised I was out of cream. Couldn't be arrsed to go back to shops, but a squirt of cream from a can did the trick...

I wouldn't even bother with the OXO cube. Should be plenty of flavour in the mean juices & onions!

Kirkz

LE
I wouldn't even bother with the OXO cube. Should be plenty of flavour in the mean juices & onions!
Wasn't any meat juices it was belly pork so just fat which I poured into my fat container by the cooker.

Wasn't any meat juices it was belly pork so just fat which I poured into my fat container by the cooker.
I know what you mean about the fat off belly pork, however the onions effectively fry in the fat thus capturing the flavour of the pork fat plus the flavour of the caramelised onions.

Tool

LE
Mother_mush wasn't that a fantastic cook, but one of the things that she taught me was to add the 'top of the milk' to a pan of bolognese sauce
I usually add a slice of bread soaked in milk to bolognese. Well, actually, most mince dishes. As for the "top of the milk" - I haven't seen that in a LONG time. Modern dairy techniques separate as much of the "top" as they can to sell for a premium compared to the rest of the milk.

I usually add a slice of bread soaked in milk to bolognese. Well, actually, most mince dishes. As for the "top of the milk" - I haven't seen that in a LONG time. Modern dairy techniques separate as much of the "top" as they can to sell for a premium compared to the rest of the milk.
We get our milk delivered by the milkman. Glass bottles, plenty of 'top', loads of other stuff like bread and veg available as well.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Re-posting this in the correct thread.

Ladies, Gents, apologies; if we are/were to proceed with the cook off this coming weekend, unfortunately I will not be able to co-ordinate as originally thought. My apologies, and I nominate @supermatelot to deputise. May have time to enter something in the week, but not the weekend. Over to @supermatelot to proceed as she sees fit.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Homogenisation means the fat that used to rise is now melded into the rest of the milk. No more 'cream off the top of the milk' but it lasts for days in the fridge.

Luckily we have a milk vending machine in the village, which sells unhomogenised milk. We get the cream, even a little bit on our semi-skimmed milk.

Thread diversion - I think homogenised milk is responsible for all the 'dairy intolerances ' suffered by wimmin of a certain age. Not a scientific opinion, but mine own.

Homogenisation means the fat that used to rise is now melded into the rest of the milk. No more 'cream off the top of the milk' but it lasts for days in the fridge.

Luckily we have a milk vending machine in the village, which sells unhomogenised milk. We get the cream, even a little bit on our semi-skimmed milk.

Thread diversion - I think homogenised milk is responsible for all the 'dairy intolerances ' suffered by wimmin of a certain age. Not a scientific opinion, but mine own.
There's a Farm and shop up by Sizergh in the lakes that sells the same. Decent farmshop on the whole and fascinating watching the whole milking process.

Latest Threads