Tonight I cooked..........

Fine grit ceramic and a soft whetstone. Used gently it puts a better edge on the blade than just a straight steel, which can be fairly coarse.

Fine grit ceramic and a soft whetstone. Used gently it puts a better edge on the blade than just a straight steel, which can be fairly coarse.
I'm thinking of investing in a couple of whetstones.

Mrs MB is worried our knives will be too sharp - I told her there is no such thing!

Perzackerly! If it's not sharp, it's just a stick.

Blunt knives are bloody dangerous. You end up sawing and hacking something and that's when you get hurt. A clean slice is much safer.

Trick is to pay attention and if someone distracts you, tell them to fuck off. Trying to be Mr Nice Guy while cutting chilis cost me the tip of my thumb. You can't answer stupid wibbling while waving a knife around your fingertips, even if it's not sharp.

May one suggest a decent sharpening steel with them, along with a whetstone and a ceramic sharpening stick.

Ignore the electric rotating gimmicky sharpening crap. They destroy blades.
She already has a ceramic and a double sided whetstone that I showed her how to use. She can't use a steel as she has an ASD that is triggered by metallic noise. Basically if you want to reduce her to a nervous wreck, just drop a tray of cutlery on the floor.

Cool. Old rotary aircraft engines must drive her furniture chewing menkle.

Kirkz

LE
She already has a ceramic and a double sided whetstone that I showed her how to use. She can't use a steel as she has an ASD that is triggered by metallic noise. Basically if you want to reduce her to a nervous wreck, just drop a tray of cutlery on the floor.
Have you thought of buying her a set of metal wind chimes?

Have you thought of buying her a set of metal wind chimes?
She's a lot better than she used to be, but she used to get edgy when I'd be jingling loose change or a set of keys in my pocket

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You dirty jellied eel gnoshing freak.
Stewed eels with pie'n'mash, not jellied. The liqour from cooking the eels is thickened and handfuls of chopped parsly thrown in, which gives us the lovely liqour to go over said pie'n'mash, luvverly!

Riiiight!

@Roadster280 - outside now!

You've probably done something today that is deserving of ridicule-but has not yet come to light.

I'm just covering all bases by putting this here.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Give them time

Mush_lass, despite being a decent cook in her teens, went through the obligatory veggie phase when she went to Uni. After she came back from the dark side, she'd eat white meat but wouldn't cook with raw meat. Then she progressed to enjoying a fine rare steak (taking her out to some very decent restaurants helped). Now in her late 20s' she'll happily by a fresh chicken to take home and joint it to make 5 1/2 meals for the week.

I met up with her last week for dinner and with her birthday coming up soon I asked her if there was anything that she particularly wanted. She said a set of decent knives and there's a butcher's called the Ginger Pig that runs butchery courses, could I run to that?
165 quid for a butchery class?

Just watching Tom Kerridges BBQ summer on the food network.
He should change the title to woke bbq or bbq for anyone but those that like to eat meat....or fvck you pork chop eating people.
I understand accompaniments but Jesus man, cook a decent pork joint or chop, you fat woke cvnt!

Just watching Tom Kerridges BBQ summer on the food network.
He should change the title to woke bbq or bbq for anyone but those that like to eat meat....or fvck you pork chop eating people.
I understand accompaniments but Jesus man, cook a decent pork joint or chop, you fat woke cvnt!
I accept I might be going out on a limb here, and may be well wide of the mark but - am I correct in assuming you are not entirely satisfied with the output of this Tom Kerridge?

Stewed eels with pie'n'mash, not jellied. The liqour from cooking the eels is thickened and handfuls of chopped parsly thrown in, which gives us the lovely liqour to go over said pie'n'mash, luvverly!
In normal circumstances I would castigate you but - given your locstat - you are technically french anyway so shall withold fire and just feel mild sympathy for your situation.

Latest Threads