Tonight I cooked..........

<serious mode>

I had asked that you leave me alone in this post:

I had explained my reasons why. Any decent human being could understand that. It matters not what your motivation was/is, it just is what it is/was. My perception of your behaviour is influenced by my family experiences.

FYI, @supermatelot and I were PMing each other while the joke was running last night, pissing ourselves laughing, so please don’t get the wrong end of the stick. He and I have a long running (albeit piss-taking) friendship.

I ask you one more time to leave me alone. Please.

Just don’t quote me, don’t react to my posts, please don’t do anything. Just put me on ignore.

</serious mode>
Apologies to all you Egons for the thread drift but here goes anyway.

Just a quick point that this clown’s post regarding cancer was not a wind-up. It was attention seeking. Plain and simple

A son following his dad,

the loaf was baked in a cast-iron lidded casserole, hence the wonderful development.
Bongo the cat gazes in wonder
4005a58b-9961-4a65-a711-bcf84b42eed0.jpeg

Kirkz

LE
Your husband will be pleased.
It's been well documented that I'm single as in divorced.
The only person in this relationship who is pleased is me.

Kirkz

LE
Don't give up, I'm sure there's someone for you, have you tried the pensioners bingo night ?
Don't give up? I'm not even trying, I'm quite content to please myself all day everyday.

I buy those vegetable thingys too. I am not a true Scot.
Good bait for trapping vegans. Butchering them can get a bit messy, but they sometimes have money in their pockets you can use to pay someone to take away the skip with the inedible bits.

Actually it came out of the bratties. Inventive chaps, the Hun :)
Actually that's one attribute that can never be assigned to them. They are good at engineering, measuring, recording, developing processes (Just look at SAP), training trades people, controlling the population and corruption, but they are not creative or inventive. The beer was copied from the Czechs, wurst is pretty universal across Europe and even the Blitzkrieg was invented by a Brit.

Actually that's one attribute that can never be assigned to them. They are good at engineering, measuring, recording, developing processes (Just look at SAP), training trades people, controlling the population and corruption, but they are not creative or inventive. The beer was copied from the Czechs, wurst is pretty universal across Europe and even the Blitzkrieg was invented by a Brit.
Oh I dunno. Gottlieb Daimler was fairly original with his invention :)

Agreed on SAP though. Haven’t used it for years, but my old neighbour was a project manager for them, getting one company’s instance up and running put him in the hospital with a heart attack. Probably read “Unrelated Objects” one too many times :)

JuniorBod

War Hero
Oh I dunno. Gottlieb Daimler was fairly original with his invention :)

Agreed on SAP though. Haven’t used it for years, but my old neighbour was a project manager for them, getting one company’s instance up and running put him in the hospital with a heart attack. Probably read “Unrelated Objects” one too many times :)
? SAP, is it Systems, Applications, and Products in Data Processing?

JB

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This mornings breakfast,
1D655B8C-DD26-4C22-A01E-CD852EB46C63.jpeg
omelette with asparagus.

? SAP, is it Systems, Applications, and Products in Data Processing?

JB
That’s the badger, although it was originally in German. It has grown through both acquisition and organic growth into a labyrinthine conglomerate with all sorts of add-ons to its basic product, which is an ERP system (Enterprise Resource Planning). A famous user is Porsche. The system is used for all aspects of the business, from planning production schedules, parts ordering, inventory control, completed vehicle inventory control, outbound shipment, HR, payroll, accounts receivable and payable - the best implementations control ALL aspects of the business, so the system has visibility of everything.

Of course it is wholly reliant upon correct data entry, and in Germany this is probably a given. In other countries, not so much. It’s highly inflexible out of the box, “computer says no” is most apt. You can of course have it customized to suit your specific business, but that costs mega bucks. If you’re Porsche, that’s less of a problem than Bob’s Carpets that is expanding to three branches and now needs something better than Bob’s wife and a spiral-bound ledger.

My old company used it, and it did indeed do what it promised in terms of inventory control and production planning, but ultimately it cost that company £2m in obsolete stock holding. The company made high-tech cutting-edge electronics in the telecommunications business. In that world, 3 years is an eternity in terms of technology evolution. SAP would order the components to make the cards, and wouldn’t know that a “bluebird” order of say 100 cards of a specific type wasn’t representative of 100 cards a month, just that sales had a bonus week.

It would order the low-level components automatically, and eventually they did a physical stock check and found that they had say £20K worth of BNC connectors. The world moved on from co-axial cable in digital telecoms about 20 years ago, and this stock was effectively worthless. Repeat that 100 times and you’ve got £2m worth of garbage on the shelves that not only is unusable, but is costing you money to store it. Stock checks always passed, because shelf 9, bay 6 is supposed to have 18 widgets on it according to SAP, and indeed there were 18 widgets there. 18 widgets that worked well 5 years ago, but today have been superseded by a super widget that is 1000 times faster.

The other thing is that SAP is a Product Manager’s wet dream - it is mega-sticky. Once you put it in, which is both a very expensive exercise and requires a Herculean integration effort - it is very difficult to get rid of it. If say you’re happy with the ERP bit, but the Finance bit sucks dick, you can’t just shut off the FInance bit, and use something else, because SAP won’t generate bills in XYZ accounting program.

It’s been 5 years or so since I used it, but I doubt it’s much different. A Rolls-Royce solution to a problem that not many companies actually need, but many buy, because it’s a Rolls-Royce.

Latest Threads