Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

That’s a shame. Seriously good quality Trout - bought from a place called Gastro Nicks in Collingbourne Ducis. He also does fantastic take away pizzas on Friday evenings if that’s more to your Missus’s taste.

Those that have straight up, anaphylactic shock causing finned fish allergies really shouldn't even visit restaurants that do fish, as inhalation of fish proteins suspended in steam from cooking is just about 99.95% more deadly to them than the 'rona, and if you can smell it, the mask they definitely aren't wearing when eating isn't working. They shouldn't even be walking down the street past any seafood establishment either.

4F779B9E-BCC7-4564-B33B-57959A525B1B.jpeg

The joy of good ingredients

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s a shame. Seriously good quality Trout - bought from a place called Gastro Nicks in Collingbourne Ducis. He also does fantastic take away pizzas on Friday evenings if that’s more to your Missus’s taste.
It is even more of a shame when you think we have the fishing rights on about a mile of the Wiltshire Avon, some of the finest chalkstream fishing in the country.

It is even more of a shame when you think we have the fishing rights on about a mile of the Wiltshire Avon, some of the finest chalkstream fishing in the country.
The trout we had this morning was chalkstream fished, most likely the Avon. Lovely stuff. Apologies for teasing, when you can’t have it! When we can meet up, I’ll bring some over! :smile:
7FE3DC05-0613-4711-B34E-F7337421288A.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the missus cooked up a hearty bacon and lentil soup. Thick enough to mortar bricks with, and rather nice.
Easy as - get a decent pack of cooking bacon/offcuts , chop up into little pieces and fry with two decent onions untill lightly browned. Grab a couple of big carrots, two big potatoes and cube them into small cubes. Half a mug of washed red lentils and sling the whole lot in a slow cooker. Add half a dozen pepper corns or a damn good attempt with the pepper mill and a couple of bay leaves. Add stock cubes - I use one of ham and one of chicken or pork - make sure there's enough liquid to cover and away yer go for 4 hours or however long you like.
When cooked, use a hand held blender thingy to break it up a bit. Sticks to your ribs does this one. You can always have a toasted roll with runny butter with it and good strong pint or red wine. It will keep you and the bed warm later.
Herbs - you can add thyme or parsley.

Always a good selection of fresh fish in Spain, even in Madrid which is as far from the coast as you can get. I never worked out which bit of a goose neck barnacle you were supposed to eat so I stuck with things I recognised.

Kirkz

LE
Bacon, cheese and mayo on seeded bread.

20200718_155331_copy_849x439.jpg

Always a good selection of fresh fish in Spain, even in Madrid which is as far from the coast as you can get.
There is huge demand for fresh good quality fish and seafood all over Spain so there is an efficient and extensive infrastructure to get it delivered while it’s fresh. So even my local supermarket in the Sierra outside Madrid has a well stocked fish counter with two fish mongers who know what they’re doing. People don’t mind waiting while they prepare a whole fish exactly how you want it. I don’t think this will ever happen in UK because people don’t appreciate fish and generally don’t know what to do with it. So the best you can hope for are packaged fillets of bass, haddock and cod of dubious provenance.

Rab_C

War Hero
Always a good selection of fresh fish in Spain, even in Madrid which is as far from the coast as you can get. I never worked out which bit of a goose neck barnacle you were supposed to eat so I stuck with things I recognised.
I had never heard of a gooseneck barnacle so had to google it, says its prized in Spain and Portugal. Don’t look to appetising though.