Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonight I cooked..........

Allotment vegetable tray bake in olive oil. Spuds, courgettes, carrots, tomatoes and parsley. Onions shop bought!
Served with a bit of chicken. Nice.
851D4ACF-22B6-42AE-B1A5-961E86B1E04D.jpeg

My take on my father’s grilled marinated lamb chops. It’s very difficult to buy the chops as thin as we used to get them, even a local butcher doesn’t cut them like that.

Season a lamb steak then put in olive oil, white wine vinegar, bay & garlic overnight, then when ready to cook put the marinade in an oven dish with halved baby tomatoes & bake alongside oven chips. Cook lamb steak in griddle pan.

6289FAF1-2778-44DF-A89D-73522AECE42C.jpeg

Ready for lift off:
FDFCE42C-7D74-472A-814A-387789AE6BF0.jpeg

I knocked up a jar of currywurst sauce this morning , there was a recipe on here somewhere but I couldn't remember it so threw in what I could remember
Cheap Lidl tomato sauce water, curry powder, finely diced shallot ( sauted with the curry powder, paprika smoked paprika, spicey paprika some garlic, a squeeze of ginger paste and cooked in a good squeeze of tomato paste ) then the whole lot simmered for about a half hour and filled a glass jar freshly washed and filled with boiling water to sterilize it
It was good
tonight I used it to make Zigeuner sauce, diced red pepper and onions lightly fried until soft then added to the curry sauce from this morning heated gently while I boiled some lovely little jersey royals , and fried up schnitzels of tenderised pork , floured ; egged and covered in panko breadcrumbs
what more needs said
It was as good as any zigeuner schnitzel I ever had in Germany , and I lived there for 19 years
would have been better with chips , but her indoors is having problems with fatty foods at the moment (waiting to get her gall bladder removed )

Today, we have changed it up once again, and shall have breakfast for a late lunch...
primeribeye999.jpg

a prime ribeye...
sunnysideup999.jpg

eggs done up in the leavings, this time sunny side up...
lunch999.jpg

Not a bad little plate, if I do say so myself...
lunch999b.jpg

Maybe I will go for something different for tonight's dinner...

Perhaps a nice steak or something.

Tyk

LE
Today, we have changed it up once again, and shall have breakfast for a late lunch...
View attachment 489739
a prime ribeye...
View attachment 489740
eggs done up in the leavings, this time sunny side up...
View attachment 489743
Not a bad little plate, if I do say so myself...
View attachment 489741
Maybe I will go for something different for tonight's dinner...

Perhaps a nice steak or something.

Isn't there a risk you will get bored with the same thing all the time?

Maybe poach or scramble the eggs for a change?

Isn't there a risk you will get bored with the same thing all the time?

Maybe poach or scramble the eggs for a change?

I sometimes scramble my eggs for breakfast, done in a nice amount of butter at a low heat.

I sometimes scramble my eggs for breakfast, done in the leavings from my steak at medium heat.
brkfst2.jpg

I sometimes scramble my eggs for brunch or lunch, done in a nice amount of butter at low heat with no stirring to produce an omelet, which I will fill with a bit of cheese, veg, and bacon. And as much sliced steak as I can.

I sometimes have sausage... gravy over some biscuits with my eggs for breakfast, done scrambled, over easy, or sunny side up.
SteakEggsBiscuitsGravyBreakfast.jpg

Sometimes I am not very hungry, and just have a light salad.
salad.jpg

A lot of the time, when I am feeling rather hungry, I just have a couple of steaks.
20200104130418.jpg

*Pictures are in the thread somewhere... however, I cannot find them on my laptop at the moment.
In any case, I am sure you can image what might be in them.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The Black Bun. We tried a slice with custard for tea.

It was still warm, having been cooked in the morning and left in the tin all afternoon. The cake part is very dense, but has a lovely texture when eating.

It was delicious. I will definitely make it again when this one is gone.
20200714_210112_resized.jpg

Kirkz

LE
I’ll be interested in how you get on with it as I have been looking at getting one.
Probably get divorced from it.

Thai chicken with garlic. Lots of garlic.

20200714_174529.jpg

I'll have some vegetables tomorrow.

I did a cookout yesterday, kicked the arrse out of it a little bit, cooking for 9. All BGEs and the griddle in use.

Working clockwise we have burgers, ribs, chicken wings and frankfurters, corn and bratwurst.

View attachment 489385

On the plate:

View attachment 489386
Not only do we share worktops but you appear to have a Weber Genesis too .... maybe we were twins from the same egg separated at birth - good skills cooking on that lot at one time !

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fancied something different tonight, I give you Kedgeree.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

About 3 measures vinegar (balsamic or white wine) to 1 measure Worcestershire sauce, with about a 1/2teaspoon chili should be fine. The airflow is more important.

Cheat - but it would work. The issue I find with dehydraters is that you can lose some of the flavour that develops over time (3-5 days in Seffrica, 7-10 days in Pomland for natural drying). Keep us updated please.
Results time. I used silverside, and opted for 3 different marinades: Worcestershire Sauce, malt vinegar, white wine vinegar. The meat was marinaded in the spice mix and respective liquid for 24 hrs, give or take.
Then into the dehydrator for about 20 hrs @ 60 - 65 C.
The pick of the paddock for me was the Worcs. Sauce, the other two were okay but lacking something. All of it was better than my own spice mixes.
Things I will try : Lower temp, longer drying
Some crushed chilli flakes in the spice, or Tabasco/Encona
Longer marinading.

Latest Threads