Tonight I cooked..........

I had always thought that was "polk salad" as in the Elvis song Polk Salad Annie.

I think the various types of cabbage tend to be under-rated in the scoff stakes. I imagine mostly because of the way the poor little things were cooked by our female forebears,, schools, the armed forces and various other institutions. Boiled for nine hours.

I only found out cabbage was green in my early twenties. Thanks for all the grey slop Mum.
Do you think it is wise to trust the spelling of a Mississippi born Army Sergeant?

Nearer Cherokee than Tri-Cities, but specifically just outside Sevierville on Douglas Lake.
Ah... so you have the TN AVN Museum, if you need to look at any more 'nose cones' you've also got Dolly, also nice mountains, fnar, and the Forbidden Cavern.

I may have to drop by for a visit next year.

If the cold doesn't kill me first.

Oh... and I did a steak and three eggs for breakfast today.

Do we really need pics?
Too bad, I didn't take any.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of my steak at lunch...

or, maybe my steak at dinner.

I've not posted here for ages due to being reduced to pot noodles like the rest of the nation :cool:
Back at the cottage so here is my first effort:
din 3.JPG

din 2.JPG

din 1.JPG

Lightly seasoned Ribbers with a few hasselback roasters and a cheese jus. Tatties devoid of oil, part nuked then browned and seasoned in the oven.
The best part of this was the steak cost peanuts.

I've not posted here for ages due to being reduced to pot noodles like the rest of the nation :cool:
Naught wrong with that... I am pretty sure this impressive thread was started with pot noodles.

Do you think it is wise to trust the spelling of a Mississippi born Army Sergeant?
Strictly speaking the song was by Tony Joe White.

I reckoned a pair of good'ol'boys from Louisiana and Mississippi probably knew a bit more about soul food than a Londoner.

Seems both spellings are acceptable though.

Do you really have to boil it three times to destroy the toxins? Hardly seems worth the effort.

I'm surprised my mother never cooked it. "Oooh, a leafy vegetable you can boil three times. Thats 27 hours in the saucepan. Bring it on".

Strictly speaking the song was by Tony Joe White.

I reckoned a pair of good'ol'boys from Louisiana and Mississippi probably knew a bit more about soul food than a Londoner.

Seems both spellings are acceptable though.

Do you really have to boil it three times to destroy the toxins? Hardly seems worth the effort.

I'm surprised my mother never cooked it. "Oooh, a leafy vegetable you can boil three times. Thats 27 hours in the saucepan. Bring it on".
Sallet would be Frenchie for cooked greens. Salad is uncooked greens. You NEVER eat poke uncooked. You also have to wash it before you boil it three times. You also have to pick it young, before the level of toxins gets too high, or even washing it and boiling it three times will not save your gut.

Top tip for Kale / Cavallo Nero: Strip out the central rib before cooking.

Pile the leaves up, roll them together lengthwise then slice thinly, job jobbed.

Top tips for kale Numbers 2 and 3.

2) Chuck it in the bin.
3) Feed it to farmyard animals to convert it to something edible.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Black Bun. A Scottish friend is visiting for coffee in the garden tomorrow.

Will post the pic after it was cooked for 2 hours ....
20200714_114327_resized.jpg
20200714_115435_resized.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It's cooked. Disappointingly it's split. Hope it tastes nice.
20200714_132400_resized.jpg
20200714_132354_resized.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Homemade microwave crisps.

Pretty straightforward and quick way to knock up a small batch of decent crisps.

Thinly slice spud. Use a mandolin or potato peeler to get really thin slices.

Soak slices in a bowl of water for a minute or two.

Rinse, pat dry.

Arrange on a plate, brush with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt.

Microwave for 3 mins.

After 3 mins flip them. Give them another minute or so. As they start to brown take them out. You’ll probably have to take them out individually as the ones in the centre of the plate seem to cook quicker.

Leave to dry on a paper towel, this will also absorb excess oil.

Job done.

Serve with garlic and lemon aioli.

D1D23CC5-16B4-4932-8322-430745125503.jpeg

Latest Threads