Tonight I cooked..........

Bacillus cereus. Notorious for poisoning people via mis-handled rice
I believe Mr pinback knows of what he speaks.
A long time ago I worked for a supermarket and when we did the food hygiene bit (which was quite thorough), this was the bit that seemed to worry the business the most. They used flash cooling, and labelling for the customer as to subsequent treatment, and took it very seriously.
Still never stopped me eating left-over takeaways from the carton.

So... turning it on it's head for lunch at the GF's office, I once again heap abuse on her humble little induction hotplate.

I started with something you would never expect...

A 5cm thick prime ribeye steak I carved out last week.

primeribeye99.jpg

And I did a bit more carving on it...

sliced-pre.jpg

Ramped up the hotplate to 1500, whatever that is, and tossed in the fat to melt down...

fat-hotplate.jpg

Threw the steak in to sizzle, slowly rotating it in so it all fit in the wok...

inprogress-1.jpg

Tossed in a half pound of mushrooms for more heft and body for this culinary project...

inprogress-2.jpg

Looking pretty good so far...

inprogress-3.jpg

In about 7-8 minutes it was time for a bucket of water, some dried veggies, powdered bone broth and other secret ingredients...

And after at least another 5 minutes, turned out another fairly respectable "all day" Korean beef bone stew...

fini.jpg

아주 좋아요!
即使我这么说.

My mother would cook “curry” with sultanas and Demerara sugar. WTAF? I enjoyed it at the time, but she may as well have called it ”Marjorie”, for Curry it was not.

Vesta would have been more authentic :)
Sliced apple and sultanas were always a feature of my mum's curries. I preferred her egg and chips

So... turning it on it's head for lunch at the GF's office, I once again heap abuse on her humble little induction hotplate.

I started with something you would never expect...

A 5cm thick prime ribeye steak I carved out last week.

View attachment 488996

And I did a bit more carving on it...

View attachment 488997

Ramped up the hotplate to 1500, whatever that is, and tossed in the fat to melt down...

View attachment 488998

Threw the steak in to sizzle, slowly rotating it in so it all fit in the wok...

View attachment 488999

Tossed in a half pound of mushrooms for more heft and body for this culinary project...

View attachment 489000

Looking pretty good so far...

View attachment 489001

In about 7-8 minutes it was time for a bucket of water, some dried veggies, powdered bone broth and other secret ingredients...

And after at least another 5 minutes, turned out another fairly respectable "all day" Korean beef bone stew...

View attachment 489002

아주 좋아요!
即使我这么说.
Perfect way to do your boerie. Big spoon of lard or beef dripping in that wok, brown the boerie and remove from heat. Chuck in a load of chopped onion and tomato, pinch of curry powder and a bit of sugar with a drop of red wine and allow to stew and reduce a bit.

Season as needed, chuck the boerie on top and pour the lot over the pot of sadza you made while waiting for the sauce to stew.

Try not to eat your fingers while savouring the delights of Zimbo/Saffer soul food.

Perfect way to do your boerie. Big spoon of lard or beef dripping in that wok, brown the boerie and remove from heat. Chuck in a load of chopped onion and tomato, pinch of curry powder and a bit of sugar with a drop of red wine and allow to stew and reduce a bit.

Season as needed, chuck the boerie on top and pour the lot over the pot of sadza you made while waiting for the sauce to stew.

Try not to eat your fingers while savouring the delights of Zimbo/Saffer soul food.
Ugali that sounds good.

Kirkz

LE
I believe Mr pinback knows of what he speaks.
A long time ago I worked for a supermarket and when we did the food hygiene bit (which was quite thorough), this was the bit that seemed to worry the business the most. They used flash cooling, and labelling for the customer as to subsequent treatment, and took it very seriously.
Still never stopped me eating left-over takeaways from the carton.
I've been making fried rice for at least 20 years, I part cook the rice until aldente and then cool it in a colander under the cold running tap, let it sit for a bit to drain and then put it in the fridge.
Never had any problems.
If you buy fried rice from the take away and then reheat it the day after then it's been cooked 3 times.

Yes, but don’t you miss a curry with the extras? I threw in some sultanas in my last curry and it took me right back. These were cooked in it, mind you, and not “sprinkles”.
I tend to use various raitas, chutneys & so on these days. Might have to do a Mess curry one day for old time's sake!

My mother would cook “curry” with sultanas and Demerara sugar. WTAF? I enjoyed it at the time, but she may as well have called it ”Marjorie”, for Curry it was not.

Vesta would have been more authentic :)
Sliced apple and sultanas were always a feature of my mum's curries. I preferred her egg and chips
Sounds like my Grandmother's curries. Leftovers from Sunday roast, stuff called curry powder, & apples or dried fruit. It was of its time!

Am tempted to have something similar for sunday supper, my guts tell me to play safe and not think with my stomach…..
Go on, feel the fear & do it anyway ;)

I first tasted biltong when I went to Zimbabwe in 1986 on leaving school, to visit my uncle ( he still lives there). I have had numerous attempts at making it since but none have been very successful, hopefully this will do the trick.
20200712_111946_compress18.jpg

I first tasted biltong when I went to Zimbabwe in 1986 on leaving school, to visit my uncle ( he still lives there). I have had numerous attempts at making it since but none have been very successful, hopefully this will do the trick. View attachment 489089
Is it too late to return that? It's a DIY heart disease and diabetes kit. @Lardbeast will probably have more to offer as well...

Brunch today - first time for a long while we have had the daughter, SiL and two grandkids over. Lovely catch up and food went down a treat. Grandson had 6(six)! chipolata sausages, meanwhile, granddaughter stayed true to form and stuck with jam on toast! :grin:
27887240-1D7F-4A7E-9A23-ABE019B91A14.jpeg

Rab_C

War Hero
Brunch today - first time for a long while we have had the daughter, SiL and two grandkids over. Lovely catch up and food went down a treat. Grandson had 6(six)! chipolata sausages, meanwhile, granddaughter stayed true to form and stuck with jam on toast! :grin:
View attachment 489112
Nice brunch, I particularly like the chives on the egg’s a real cholesterol beater :)

Seems to be a few avid (food, not tabs) smokers on this thread.

For any novices wanting to give it a bash there are instructions for building a smoker out of readily available junk in today's Sunday Times.

Smoker 1.jpg

Smoker 2.jpg

If you give it a go let us know the results.

Nice brunch, I particularly like the chives on the egg’s a real cholesterol beater :)
Can’t beat a bit of salad!

Is it too late to return that? It's a DIY heart disease and diabetes kit. @Lardbeast will probably have more to offer as well...
Ja, it's a bit of a downmarket range. Not something I'd bother using.

Try the Freddy Hirsch stuff or look on the internet for recipes. Nothing stopping you tweaking recipes/mixes to suit yourself either. Adding a bit of Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic or cayenne can produce good results.

Latest Threads