Tonight I cooked..........

Bourride of Pollack and mussels with garlic and thyme croutons:

90B08820-308D-454A-8F09-3DC80B1C76F9.jpeg

Rice can indeed be very toxic if not handled properly.
If not cooled quickly prior to storage the bacteria do actually produce a toxin/ poison that no amount of heat will kill, because unlike bacteria, its not actually alive.
So read up on the correct procedures, as people have died because of sloppy procedures.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Leftovers again.

Some of last night's ham hock, fried off with chorizo, onion and mushrooms, cooled and plaited into puff pastry. Rather tasty although i say it myself.
20200711_183706_resized.jpg
20200711_183939_resized.jpg

Chicken tikka masala (Pataks, but it’s what I fancied) with sprouted fenugreek sabzi (mod aleya methi usal). The sabzi was very bitter in early stages, but has a fair whack of jaggery towards the end & was really good :)

03572CF2-58BC-4155-8F72-892A8215229D.jpeg

If not cooled quickly prior to storage the bacteria do actually produce a toxin/ poison that no amount of heat will kill, because unlike bacteria, its not actually alive.
So read up on the correct procedures, as people have died because of sloppy procedures.
Indeed. It can be a cereal killer. OK; I know when to leave.

I got about half of the words, but the food looks great!
I didn’t recognise curries after leaving the mob either. They didn’t come with dishes of desiccated coconut, sliced banana, sultanas & stroganoff for the ladies ;)

Bacillus cereus. Notorious for poisoning people via mis-handled rice

I didn’t recognise curries after leaving the mob either. They didn’t come with dishes of desiccated coconut, sliced banana, sultanas & stroganoff for the ladies ;)
So much for the donkey wallopers, but we proper soldiers had Gurkhas to make excellent curry. Still don’t recognize the words ;)

Tool

LE
It's hit and miss, local butcher has sold me some hooky stewing steak before and it was a PITA taking it back to argue the point. Best one closed due to retirement. Farm shops can be very good but as you say, watch the cost.
Our local Waitrose part-butchers on the premises, and it's not a particularly big Waitrose. They;re also quite happy to order in at shop prices.

Tool

LE
Well, baked and assembled...

Peppermint Crisp tart, a Seffrican dessert.
Place a layer of Tennis biscuits (Rich Tea are a poor substitute) into a fridgeable container - ours is 25cm (about 10") square.
Slather with caramel - we use already-caramelised condensed milk, as it's a pain to make your own
Cover with a layer of whipped cream
Scatter liberally with crushed peppermint crisp
Second layer of Tennis biscuits, caramel, cream and cover with more peppermint crisp.

PepCrispTart 1.jpg
PepCrispTart 2.jpg

Baked, because we can't get said Tennis biscuits here. Sprogette found a recipe whch she baked. Some tinkering around the edges, and we can now bake a reasonable substitute biscuit.

For those who have not experienced it, Peppermint Crisp is a Seffrican chocolate bar - and I quote " It is made from milk chocolate which covers green mint flavoured crystals that shatter providing a delightful texture and flavour. " also avalable in Australia, where we get ours in the UK from.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Tonight's efforts

L'aperitif
20200711_173811_resized_1.jpg

Broad bean, parsley and dried ham salad
20200711_190328_resized(1).jpg

Cote de boeuf
20200711_184818_resized.jpg

20200711_192830_resized.jpg

20200711_213659_resized.jpg

Forgot to take a plated pic

Raspberry sherry trifle
20200711_204819_resized.jpg

Mash, served with a mix of garlicky mushrooms and kale. Plus gravy obviously.

I don't think I gave the kale long enough in the pan, the small bits were wilted nicely but the chunkier bits were reminiscent of chewing on a laurel hedge. Lesson learnt.

veg2.jpg

Just realised I think that's the first time I've ever eaten kale. I'd rather have peas or green beans but nice for a change.

Last edited:
Yes, but don’t you miss a curry with the extras? I threw in some sultanas in my last curry and it took me right back. These were cooked in it, mind you, and not “sprinkles”.

Yes, but don’t you miss a curry with the extras? I threw in some sultanas in my last curry and it took me right back. These were cooked in it, mind you, and not “sprinkles”.
My mother would cook “curry” with sultanas and Demerara sugar. WTAF? I enjoyed it at the time, but she may as well have called it ”Marjorie”, for Curry it was not.

Vesta would have been more authentic :)

Bacillus cereus. Notorious for poisoning people via mis-handled rice
I believe Mr pinback knows of what he speaks.
A long time ago I worked for a supermarket and when we did the food hygiene bit (which was quite thorough), this was the bit that seemed to worry the business the most. They used flash cooling, and labelling for the customer as to subsequent treatment, and took it very seriously.
Still never stopped me eating left-over takeaways from the carton.

Latest Threads