Tonight I cooked..........

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a fear of keeping cooked rice to use the next day, believing that it harbours some kind of dread food poisoning, am I mistaken ?
I would not be at all happy about cooking it for a second time.

Rab_C

War Hero
I have a fear of keeping cooked rice to use the next day, believing that it harbours some kind of dread food poisoning, am I mistaken ?
Reheating rice can unleash a multitude of nasties however treated correctly there’s no issue. Cool the cooked rice under cold water and then into the fridge, as long as you get it good and hot when you fry it then there’s no problem. The trouble comes when cooked rice is left at room temp and not fully reheated. I make batches of fried rice and freeze it, defrost and then fully reheat and all is good.
Edited to add:
NHS seems to agree.

Kirkz

LE
The fried rice I made tonight was done with rice I cooked on Wednesday evening.
Like @Roadster280 I've been doing it for years and never had any issues with it as long as it's reheated properly.

I would not be at all happy about cooking it for a second time.
Cooking it for a second time is somewhat inherent in fried rice though. When I’ve done it with just-cooked rice, it goes all mushy, presumably because the grains are warm/susceptible to mushing up. With cold rice - literally cold, I keep it covered in the fridge, that doesn’t happen.

I do still get it sticking together sometimes, but that’s to do with the starch in the uncooked rice. I rinsed enough starch from this morning’s effort to keep a Guardsman (or R SIGNALS SSM, same thing :) ) in starch for his entire 22. Still fooking stuck :)

As I understand things there is a risk of food poisoning from bacteria that are found in uncooked rice. The poison they produce can be resistant to breakdown by heat so heating the rice a second time is not guaranteed to keep you safe.

The issue is the time that the bacteria have to reproduce after cooking - if you cook rice and leave it out in a big pile it will take a long time to cool down and therefore the bacteria have time to grow and produce the relevant toxin. Cooling cooked rice down quickly and then sticking it in the fridge should avoid the issue.

I'm partial to leftover curry for breakfast and have never contracted food poisoning from it but I do tend to put things in the fridge as soon as I've finished eating.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, as long as it's cooled down immediately after cooking and stored chilled straight after, it should be ok. By cooling down, I mean drain once off the heat, place back in pan and allow cold water to run over it until the rice is cold. (It helps if you leave the colander in the pan whilst running the cold water as it stops the rice from going everywhere)

Last edited:
I actually didn't cook tonight... yet.

However, I bet you all know exactly what I would have cooked, if I had been cooking.

As I understand things there is a risk of food poisoning from bacteria that are found in uncooked rice. The poison they produce can be resistant to breakdown by heat so heating the rice a second time is not guaranteed to keep you safe.

The issue is the time that the bacteria have to reproduce after cooking - if you cook rice and leave it out in a big pile it will take a long time to cool down and therefore the bacteria have time to grow and produce the relevant toxin. Cooling cooked rice down quickly and then sticking it in the fridge should avoid the issue.

I'm partial to leftover curry for breakfast and have never contracted food poisoning from it but I do tend to put things in the fridge as soon as I've finished eating.
Everybody Poops. Even bacteria.

I don't like waste....... in the old days, you'd get a little less than you wanted, then top up with bread and jam, but if it's shit, you shouldn't have to eat it.
Be more selective about what you buy/put on your plate then.

Just the mix of stuff that goes in it. In this case, hard boiled egg, celery, chopped dill pickles, red onion, mustard, garlic powder and mayonnaise.
Less mayo, bit of olive oil, more mustard, plenty of cracked peppercorns and some chopped ham served warm and you have a passable German warm potato salad.

Chick peas cooked and cooled. Off to get some garlic then mince with onion, curry mix, cumin and some chili sauce I made yesterday (got 4 litres in the fridge) to make felafel.

Brekker was fried cubed tatties with chili and beaten egg to make a spicy frittata. Also have around five litres of lime, lemon and kumquat marmalade made in the week. Lush on toast and still have a jug of lime juice in the fridge for planters punch.

Warm potato salad, boxheed stylee, with Bismarck herring, chopped onion, dill and Berliner landbrot. Bit of Dutch Maasdam in the kartoffelsalat also helps.

Fit for a Kaiser.

Bourride of Pollack and mussels with garlic and thyme croutons:

90B08820-308D-454A-8F09-3DC80B1C76F9.jpeg

Rice can indeed be very toxic if not handled properly.
If not cooled quickly prior to storage the bacteria do actually produce a toxin/ poison that no amount of heat will kill, because unlike bacteria, its not actually alive.
So read up on the correct procedures, as people have died because of sloppy procedures.

Latest Threads