Chinky curry and flied lice.
I have a fear of keeping cooked rice to use the next day, believing that it harbours some kind of dread food poisoning, am I mistaken ?Oddly enough we’re having flied lice tonight.
I pre-cooked the rice this morning, and true to form, it stuck to the fücking pan a treat
I’ve no idea really. Theoretically, I suppose yes. Empirically (as in I’ve been doing this for years), no. But there’s always a first time
Reheating rice can unleash a multitude of nasties however treated correctly there’s no issue. Cool the cooked rice under cold water and then into the fridge, as long as you get it good and hot when you fry it then there’s no problem. The trouble comes when cooked rice is left at room temp and not fully reheated. I make batches of fried rice and freeze it, defrost and then fully reheat and all is good.
The fried rice I made tonight was done with rice I cooked on Wednesday evening.
Cooking it for a second time is somewhat inherent in fried rice though. When I’ve done it with just-cooked rice, it goes all mushy, presumably because the grains are warm/susceptible to mushing up. With cold rice - literally cold, I keep it covered in the fridge, that doesn’t happen.I would not be at all happy about cooking it for a second time.
As I understand things there is a risk of food poisoning from bacteria that are found in uncooked rice. The poison they produce can be resistant to breakdown by heat so heating the rice a second time is not guaranteed to keep you safe.
Yes, as long as it's cooled down immediately after cooking and stored chilled straight after, it should be ok. By cooling down, I mean drain once off the heat, place back in pan and allow cold water to run over it until the rice is cold. (It helps if you leave the colander in the pan whilst running the cold water as it stops the rice from going everywhere)
Everybody Poops. Even bacteria.As I understand things there is a risk of food poisoning from bacteria that are found in uncooked rice. The poison they produce can be resistant to breakdown by heat so heating the rice a second time is not guaranteed to keep you safe.
The issue is the time that the bacteria have to reproduce after cooking - if you cook rice and leave it out in a big pile it will take a long time to cool down and therefore the bacteria have time to grow and produce the relevant toxin. Cooling cooked rice down quickly and then sticking it in the fridge should avoid the issue.
I'm partial to leftover curry for breakfast and have never contracted food poisoning from it but I do tend to put things in the fridge as soon as I've finished eating.
Less mayo, bit of olive oil, more mustard, plenty of cracked peppercorns and some chopped ham served warm and you have a passable German warm potato salad.Just the mix of stuff that goes in it. In this case, hard boiled egg, celery, chopped dill pickles, red onion, mustard, garlic powder and mayonnaise.