Tonight I cooked..........

JuniorBod

War Hero
I have to be honest; it is in my nature. Although I am sure that is a result of culinary craftsmanship of the highest order, and tastes delicious, it does not look in the least bit appetising...Sorry, it just doesn't.
All opinions are welcome as far as I'm concerned, granted the piccy doesn't do it any favours, but it was fecking delicious. (SWMBO squeaked at the chilli levels, which was amusing).

Haven't had it for a while, nice to revisit some recipes...

JB

Well I think it looks spot on.

Today, to switch things up, I am, of course, having a hand trimmed Prime Rib Eye with 2 hen fruit over easy, and a few splashes of McIlhenny's Sweet & Spicy Tabasco.
20200706_144510.jpg

20200706_144721.jpg

20200706_145209.jpg

20200706_145930.jpg

Tyk

LE
I bought those from a butcher in Lancaster, the ones I've seen in supermarkets are tiny in comparrison and not worth it imho.
In the UK buying proper meat from a supermarket is a no-no for me, I prefer to use a decent butcheryou can get exactly what you want and the quality tends to be far better.

@Roadster280 there are times I envy the meat you can get in the USA, the prices are better and the cuts are a good size. That beef dish came out a treat, I'd love some :D

In the UK buying proper meat from a supermarket is a no-no for me, I prefer to use a decent butcheryou can get exactly what you want and the quality tends to be far better.

@Roadster280 there are times I envy the meat you can get in the USA, the prices are better and the cuts are a good size. That beef dish came out a treat, I'd love some :D
And while we’re on the subject of meat @Roadster280 what is the real story on steroid/chlorination of meat in the US? Do you have to shop carefully for meat to avoid growing a third goolie and should we be worried about an upcoming trade deal with US?

Be nice to get your perspective as an avid meat eater (ooer missus)

Can you get short rib in any of the supermarkets or do you need a good local butcher?
Don't buy meat in a supermarket if you can avoid it - go to a local butcher or a farm shop (although they tend to be pricey).

Don't buy meat in a supermarket if you can avoid it - go to a local butcher or a farm shop (although they tend to be pricey).
It's hit and miss, local butcher has sold me some hooky stewing steak before and it was a PITA taking it back to argue the point. Best one closed due to retirement. Farm shops can be very good but as you say, watch the cost.

And while we’re on the subject of meat @Roadster280 what is the real story on steroid/chlorination of meat in the US? Do you have to shop carefully for meat to avoid growing a third goolie and should we be worried about an upcoming trade deal with US?

Be nice to get your perspective as an avid meat eater (ooer missus)
This might get a bit ranty, so apologies in advance...

The truth is, I have absolutely no idea what the provenance is of the meat that I buy, other than I am 100% assured that it is safe. Meat and poultry (in fact all food, but especially meat, poultry and eggs) are regulated, inspected, and graded. It doesn’t all come from the US, I know that, having had Alberta and Australian beef in the last year.

I have no doubt that the chicken is hormone fed to promote the characteristics you want in a commercially farmed for meat bird. No idea whether the meat is subjected to a chlorine wash. I would expect that in a chicken processing plant, they are washing the place down hourly, and it makes sense to have a very dilute disinfectant in there. I can say that if it is “chlorinated” then you can’t taste or smell it; unlike say swimming in a swimming pool and taking a couple gobfuls of the water.

Standalone butcher’s shops are just not a thing in my town/area. We have a regional grocery store chain, Food City. It’s only in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee, all of which are close by. Those stores have an in-store butchery, as well as the pre-packed stuff. You can ask them to cut steaks of whatever meat cut you want, as thick or thin as you want. You can ask them to special order something that they might not have. Both their counter meat (which I almost never buy) and their pre-packed meat is a little more expensive than national stores, but this is to be expected. It’s a lot more convenient to go to our nearest, than Walmart or Costco.

Costco is my ideal place to buy meat. The quality and VFM is a good match. You get what you pay for. Like anything else in Costco, it comes in big packages. You can’t buy a slab of ribs, it’s a pack of three. Two steaks? Nope, here’s a pack of four. Or five. If one can live with that (ie have a Food Saver and sufficient freezer capacity), then you’re going to be eating well.

Walmart isn’t actually half bad. We have two in our town. The nearer one is a neighborhood market and just sells food and a limited range of household goods. The other one is a super center where you can get your tires changed, buy golf clubs, BBQs, firearms, bicycles, sofas, prams, TVs, clothes, plants, hosepipes, paint, screws, car batteries etc. The smaller one doesn’t have a butcher, it’s pre-packed only. But their prices are cheaper than FC. I only ever go to the super center in the winter. In the tourist season, it can take half an hour just to get out of the parking lot with all the “grockles”. It’s quicker to go to the next town over’s big Walmart if I need something from there in the tourist season.

Some oddities though. I can’t buy lamb at FC, and only occasionally at Walmart. Walmart sells chicken’s feet, fcuk knows why. Aldi sells prepackaged meat, including lamb, but it’s pretty costly, oddly.

I never buy ground beef, I always buy the cheaper cuts of beef and trim and grind it myself. Vastly superior results. Not that the pre-ground beef is necessarily bad, I just don’t know what is in it, and can only control the fat content by buying the grade accordingly, which increases the price to eliminate the fat. It’s cheaper to grind it myself and have lean ground beef.

Why ranty? Well all this shit about chlorinated chicken being the end of the world? You know what? It never made the news here. Ask anyone else round here about it and they’ll say “WTF you talking about?”. The only reason I know anything about it is because I read the BBC news and here. I think it really comes down to literally pork barrel politics. If the US starts exporting large quantities of beef, pork and chicken to the UK, it will decimate the UK farming industry. Probably related to why you get NZ lamb and Danish bacon. I am sure there is absolutely no problem with US food supply (less Covid implications); after all, the vast majority of American land use (and that’s a LOT) is for agriculture. The US could, and did after WW2, feed half of Europe as well as here. But EU rules mean you pay more to protect the French farming industry, in the final analysis.

One other thing - there’s no Muslims here, and only a smattering of Judaic types, so you don’t find Halal or Kosher butchers, which you will in a larger city. My nearest real City (say 200K+ population) is an hour away, and there’s one or two butchers there, but I’ve never felt the need.

We eat well, and safely.

ABNredleg

War Hero
Speaking of meat, in the US there is a youth farming organization called 4-H that teaches kids skills such as raising livestock. Each county has an annual fair where the animals are judged, with the winners going on to the state fair. At the end of the county fair the losers are auctioned off, and there are processors on-site that will haul them away and butcher them for you. We buy a lamb every year (sometimes half a beef) and always have a freezer full of chops, shoulder steaks, ground lamb, and other assorted cuts. The animals are all grass fed and price works out to around $2/lb.

This might get a bit ranty, so apologies in advance...

The truth is, I have absolutely no idea what the provenance is of the meat that I buy, other than I am 100% assured that it is safe. Meat and poultry (in fact all food, but especially meat, poultry and eggs) are regulated, inspected, and graded. It doesn’t all come from the US, I know that, having had Alberta and Australian beef in the last year.

I have no doubt that the chicken is hormone fed to promote the characteristics you want in a commercially farmed for meat bird. No idea whether the meat is subjected to a chlorine wash. I would expect that in a chicken processing plant, they are washing the place down hourly, and it makes sense to have a very dilute disinfectant in there. I can say that if it is “chlorinated” then you can’t taste or smell it; unlike say swimming in a swimming pool and taking a couple gobfuls of the water.

Standalone butcher’s shops are just not a thing in my town/area. We have a regional grocery store chain, Food City. It’s only in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee, all of which are close by. Those stores have an in-store butchery, as well as the pre-packed stuff. You can ask them to cut steaks of whatever meat cut you want, as thick or thin as you want. You can ask them to special order something that they might not have. Both their counter meat (which I almost never buy) and their pre-packed meat is a little more expensive than national stores, but this is to be expected. It’s a lot more convenient to go to our nearest, than Walmart or Costco.

Costco is my ideal place to buy meat. The quality and VFM is a good match. You get what you pay for. Like anything else in Costco, it comes in big packages. You can’t buy a slab of ribs, it’s a pack of three. Two steaks? Nope, here’s a pack of four. Or five. If one can live with that (ie have a Food Saver and sufficient freezer capacity), then you’re going to be eating well.

Walmart isn’t actually half bad. We have two in our town. The nearer one is a neighborhood market and just sells food and a limited range of household goods. The other one is a super center where you can get your tires changed, buy golf clubs, BBQs, firearms, bicycles, sofas, prams, TVs, clothes, plants, hosepipes, paint, screws, car batteries etc. The smaller one doesn’t have a butcher, it’s pre-packed only. But their prices are cheaper than FC. I only ever go to the super center in the winter. In the tourist season, it can take half an hour just to get out of the parking lot with all the “grockles”. It’s quicker to go to the next town over’s big Walmart if I need something from there in the tourist season.

Some oddities though. I can’t buy lamb at FC, and only occasionally at Walmart. Walmart sells chicken’s feet, fcuk knows why. Aldi sells prepackaged meat, including lamb, but it’s pretty costly, oddly.

I never buy ground beef, I always buy the cheaper cuts of beef and trim and grind it myself. Vastly superior results. Not that the pre-ground beef is necessarily bad, I just don’t know what is in it, and can only control the fat content by buying the grade accordingly, which increases the price to eliminate the fat. It’s cheaper to grind it myself and have lean ground beef.

Why ranty? Well all this shit about chlorinated chicken being the end of the world? You know what? It never made the news here. Ask anyone else round here about it and they’ll say “WTF you talking about?”. The only reason I know anything about it is because I read the BBC news and here. I think it really comes down to literally pork barrel politics. If the US starts exporting large quantities of beef, pork and chicken to the UK, it will decimate the UK farming industry. Probably related to why you get NZ lamb and Danish bacon. I am sure there is absolutely no problem with US food supply (less Covid implications); after all, the vast majority of American land use (and that’s a LOT) is for agriculture. The US could, and did after WW2, feed half of Europe as well as here. But EU rules mean you pay more to protect the French farming industry, in the final analysis.

One other thing - there’s no Muslims here, and only a smattering of Judaic types, so you don’t find Halal or Kosher butchers, which you will in a larger city. My nearest real City (say 200K+ population) is an hour away, and there’s one or two butchers there, but I’ve never felt the need.

We eat well, and safely.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. There’s a lot of info there!

Chicken, Chorizo and vegetable risotto.
55EA4F9D-402A-40AD-83E9-5C054987D985.jpeg

A welcome return to brown stuff and the 'lobbing across the room' plating style:

sossidge.jpg

Kirkz

LE
Bag spoll.
20200707_195308_copy_746x567.jpg

Nasi Goreng (this auto corrected to Nazi Goering on another site & nearly got me in trouble) but not made up with chopped-up leftover bacon & sausages from breakfast. Perhaps that’s why we were only allowed one sausage, it was being saved for Nasi Goreng at lunch...

76D41861-7F2B-45C3-8894-2D269DAD997B.jpeg

Ron showed up

Pea and ham soup
20200707_181936_resized.jpg

Latest Threads