Tonight I cooked..........

That actually sounds quite nice, though I'm not sold on the celery.
I usually only use celery when making stock.
He left out the moonshine... for southern roasted potato salad.

Today's meal of handmade lamb dumplings...

20200705_172028.jpg

And my special "Black Fire" chili garlic sauce.

20200705_172003.jpg

20200705_173239.jpg

You can almost see the demons waiting for you on the other side...

Tyk

LE
Lamb Hadrian - A recipe I got from a place in Hexham proported to be how the Roman soldiers did it while staging on Hadrians wall. Lamb shank browned in olive oil, sweated off onions, garlic, carrots and turnip. Seasoning, some Italian herbs, tomato purée, chicken stock and red wine to cover. Tight fitting lid and into the oven for 2 hours at 180c. Serve with greens. Cabbage works well.

A mix of local produce on Hadrians Wall and stuff brought from home.
Sounds very nice, although tomato of any kind would be right out for a Roman as they were not brought to Europe until the 16th century. Not very dissimilar to the Greek kleftiko which is really tasty.

Not been here for a while, but life getting back to normal thankfully!
Brekkie that will keep us going until this evening.
B79261DF-FE47-4C52-9A34-A92C074DB760.jpeg

When you gaze into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you . . .
Wenn du lange in einen abgrund blickst, blickt der abgrund auch in dich hinein . . .
Aber wenn sie den 7-schoten-Douglah-pfeffer essen, brennt er durch ihren kern.

Beef short ribs for dinner last night.

4 1/2 lb of goodness:

C0960918-6551-431A-9DA6-F7E39FBB0A6C.jpeg

Smoked for a couple hours:

88159B1B-0800-40E5-8238-EC0E5B82B793.jpeg

Then into a pot for a couple more hours ’til it fell off the bone. Braised in dark beer and red wine. Served with buttered mint potatoes, mashed potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli.

2B0765A1-FFD9-4D66-8638-94A21F00C218.jpeg

I love short ribs - and as my ProQ Ranger Elite arrives shortly, I shall be after all sorts of advice on smoking....
Not heard of that model before, so I just looked it up. It looks excellent, gives you many options, not just smoking. Goes from a Weber-style kettle to a smoker to a double stack smoker, and even a rotisserie option.

My only concern with it would be storing the unused stack sections and grills once they get dirty. I have exactly this problem with BGE accessories that get carbon, ash and grease on them, but aren’t required for the cook in hand. Right now I have them on shelves under the stand, but that’s not a great solution when it’s raining. I expect you’ll have to find somewhere to put those accessories too.

Looking forward to seeing your results!

Last edited:

Kirkz

LE
Beef short ribs for dinner last night.

4 1/2 lb of goodness:

View attachment 487563

Smoked for a couple hours:

View attachment 487564
Then into a pot for a couple more hours ’til it fell off the bone. Braised in dark beer and red wine. Served with buttered mint potatoes, mashed potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli.

View attachment 487565
I bought some myself yesterday...

20200706_161801_copy_756x1008.jpg

Just over 6lb of meaty goodness sitting in the freezer for next Thursday when I'm off :mrgreen: .

Kirkz

LE
Can you get short rib in any of the supermarkets or do you need a good local butcher?
I bought those from a butcher in Lancaster, the ones I've seen in supermarkets are tiny in comparrison and not worth it imho.

Can you get short rib in any of the supermarkets or do you need a good local butcher?

You're probably best off looking for a freezer centre that sells to the restaurant trade.

I've got one near me, and a lot of the meat like that doesn't sell as well, so it goes cheap.

Not as meaty as Roadsters, but ours does what they call "African Ribs" for not much more than a couple of quid for a large tray.

Great to gnaw on, then the bones make a good stock, or give them to neighbours dogs.

Kirkz

LE
You're probably best off looking for a freezer centre that sells to the restaurant trade.

I've got one near me, and a lot of the meat like that doesn't sell as well, so it goes cheap.

Not as meaty as Roadsters, but ours does what they call "African Ribs" for not much more than a couple of quid for a large tray.

Great to gnaw on, then the bones make a good stock, or give them to neighbours dogs.
I thought you just threw them in the lake.

Latest Threads