Tonight I cooked..........

Rumour has it that cook house fried bread was made to a density that if not moderated by close proximity to beans was in danger of starting a runaway nuclear reaction on the plate leading to creating a new breakfast element unknown to science.

Kirkz

LE
If you don't enjoy fried bread, a fried bread roll wouldn't be up your street o_O

The skill is in making sure that the vetkoek is deep-fried, but to make sure that the finished product doesn't absorb oil. That's the issue I have with fried bread, especially at breakfast buffets. They end up tasting of slightly rancid oil.

You enjoy black pudding, of which I'm no fan. When I was growing up, we didn't eat offal although my mother loved it. She loved Steak Tartare and chicken livers. I never grew to like offal, not even steak and kidney puds.
I concur on the fried slice, just tastes like rancid greasy plastic.
Even those crappy triangular hash brown things taste pretty much the same, absolute shite.
Offal on the otherhand, if cooked right is some of the tastiest stuff I've eaten.

Tool

LE
Even those crappy triangular hash brown things taste pretty much the same, absolute shite.
Offal on the otherhand, if cooked right is some of the tastiest stuff I've eaten.
Hash browns suffer from the same issue - they taste like old oil.
Never had any offal that I enjoyed. Eating raw liver on a survival course would put paid to any pretense that I may have enjoyed offal (other than Bath chaps or oxtail).

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Rumour has it that cook house fried bread was made to a density that if not moderated by close proximity to beans was in danger of starting a runaway nuclear reaction on the plate leading to creating a new breakfast element unknown to science.
Fried bread on warships required safety goggles to be worn, unless throrughly soaked in a softening medium first. The shattering effect of trying to cut a slice could take out anyone within a radius of at least 5 metres.
Sometimes, the shattering effect would still take place, even though a smattering of bean juice was already on aforesaid fried bread. This was almost fatal for anyone nearby who was wearing a white shirt.

Fried bread on warships required safety goggles to be worn, unless throrughly soaked in a softening medium first. The shattering effect of trying to cut a slice could take out anyone within a radius of at least 5 metres.
Sometimes, the shattering effect would still take place, even though a smattering of bean juice was already on aforesaid fried bread. This was almost fatal for anyone nearby who was wearing a white shirt.
Which would presumably be seniors and officers, no? What’s not to like, as a JR?

Which would presumably be seniors and officers, no? What’s not to like, as a JR?
Not neccesarily - in the RN there (was) a rig called Number 5's 'half blues'. It was worn by junior rates who worked in admin branches or junior rates who were keeping night watches and were not a member of the standing sea emergency party (no requirement for flame retardent etc etc). Stewards etc would normally wear half blues - white shirt-black trousers - white front (that weird square neck T-shirt thing with blue trim) and white trousers.

At breakfast time in a JR dining hall, it was quite viable for quite a few to be knocking around in white shirts etc etc. Lots of variables though - is the ship in cruising or defence watches / NBCD state etc etc.

I must offer thanks to @supermatelot for posting the “curry secret” book details. I actually had a go at it last night, and for a first go, the mofo came out OK. Garlic Nan:

5F5E2F5A-DE9A-4668-9F48-6A6B72B5134C.jpeg

Chicken Tandoori Masala with rice pilau:

F90C5A91-CBFA-4451-B511-673DD613404E.jpeg

The texture of the curry was perfect; so much better than the stuff I have made previously - which wasn’t bad in itself, but nowhere near this. It was a bit mild, so more go-go required in the next one, and I think I will look into some of those little steel pots, so we can have different curries (as they all come from the same base) and individual rice bowls. We shall see..

I must offer thanks to @supermatelot for posting the “curry secret” book details. I actually had a go at it last night, and for a first go, the mofo came out OK. Garlic Nan:

View attachment 486324

Chicken Tandoori Masala with rice pilau:

View attachment 486325

The texture of the curry was perfect; so much better than the stuff I have made previously - which wasn’t bad in itself, but nowhere near this. It was a bit mild, so more go-go required in the next one, and I think I will look into some of those little steel pots, so we can have different curries (as they all come from the same base) and individual rice bowls. We shall see..

Nice one!

Is your house reeking after brewing up the base sauce though?!! My missus hates the smell of the onions/garlic.

Nice one!

Is your house reeking after brewing up the base sauce though?!! My missus hates the smell of the onions/garlic.
Actually it’s not bad at all. The base sauce is much less odorous than the finished sauce, and there was a lot more of it. You’re right though, my wife doesn’t care for it at all. We had some friends over, and they helped cook. Wifey just socialized. I like the idea of the little Karahi dishes, because then I could do the finished sauces outside on the Egg as a Tandoor.

The nans came out OK, even if one was Millenium Falcon-esque in shape. The dough was sticky as hell. Bit less oil and water next time. I don’t really care for coconut, but Peshwari Nan are an exception; I might try those.

Actually it’s not bad at all. The base sauce is much less odorous than the finished sauce, and there was a lot more of it. You’re right though, my wife doesn’t care for it at all. We had some friends over, and they helped cook. Wifey just socialized. I like the idea of the little Karahi dishes, because then I could do the finished sauces outside on the Egg as a Tandoor.

The nans came out OK, even if one was Millenium Falcon-esque in shape. The dough was sticky as hell. Bit less oil and water next time. I don’t really care for coconut, but Peshwari Nan are an exception; I might try those.
The bhatura breads in the book are also very nice. Require deep frying though.

I reckon what you're missing with the vetkoek is that they're not greasy at all. They absorb no oil and the outside crisps up like a good fish batter or bhaji.

Served fresh from the pan, the inside is fresh soft white fluffy bread, still steaming when torn or sliced open.

Kirkz

LE
Not exactly exciting reading though I think I'll keep going as I am.
It's not going to put me off eating what I want to either, to be honest.