Tonight I cooked..........

Just spotted a programme on Beeb 2 at 7......... it's about a chef and a presenter visiting the Rialto Market in Venice.

My wife said it's a repeat, but well worth watching.

Kirkz

LE
Just spotted a programme on Beeb 2 at 7......... it's about a chef and a presenter visiting the Rialto Market in Venice.

Do they sell these then?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Its the 1st of 4, the one with Michel Roux is worth watching, set in Paris. Being shown on Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You seem full of disdain for a man who has 'only' reached the rank of Leading Hand in ten years. You clearly don't understand how the navy works. You might be deemed a failure in the army if you don't reach sergeant in that time but it's not the case with the RN, there may be plenty of reasons he is a L/H.

i) He could have been promoted to L/H years ago and is now awaiting promotion to Petty Officer
ii) He could have already been a PO and either relinquished his rate or been busted. It happens.
iii) If cooking is what he enjoys doing he won't be doing much of that at all as a PO so may have decided he doesn't want promotion. On board a ship the people doing the cooking are Able Rates and Leading Hands. Petty Officers are involved in the catering and logistics side of things, it's a different role. On frigates there would only be the one PO in that department, a PO Caterer not a PO Cook. It could, therefore, be argued that if he wants to go to sea and cook then he probably has reached the top of his trade.

I served with a bloke who was a Leading Survey Recorder. He twice turned down promotion to Petty Officer purely because he knew his job would change and he didn't want that, he enjoyed what he was doing. In fact, he completed his 22 years and extended his service - as a Leading Hand. Some people actually join to do a particular job, not chase promotion.

For some branches (trades) in the navy promotion takes longer than others. It all depends on the availability of billets. Although things did change some years ago promotion from AB to L//H and from L/H to PO was based on a points based system. The number of points required depended upon the availability of billets and the available manpower to fill those billets. For some branches promotion could be 6 or more years from passing the PQE to getting on the promotion signal and for some others promotion could be return of post, a matter of a few weeks after passing the exams. Promotion in some trades was dead man's shoes.

And don't diss cheesey, hammy, eggy - it's the food of the gods. You could argue it's the RN equivalent of an egg banjo. Another silly name if you want to look at it like that but a staple bit of scran. Navy cooks can knock out a decent bit of scoff when they need to but when providing three square meals a day for a ship's company of a couple of hundred people, with little storage space for victuals and a small galley with a small number of cooks, they don't have the luxury or budget to produce haute cuisine.
Oops my post wasn’t supposed to have been taken that seriously.
Oh and I was impressed with his position, I have no idea what so ever of Naval rank, but that cheesey hammy egg just sounds wrong.

Oops my post wasn’t supposed to have been taken that seriously.
Oh and I was impressed with his position, I have no idea what so ever of Naval rank, but that cheesey hammy egg just sounds wrong.
Fairy nuff.

To be fair, a wholemeal roll and poached egg is wrong. It's cheesy hammy eggy gentrified. It's what you'd serve to the Queen, not a matelot.

Kirkz

LE
I think he was being silly in Recruiting (again) and The Duke started handing out points (again).
That's why I rarely stray out of the NAAFI.

Rab_C

War Hero
Well that was a bit of a bite... :)

It’s always somewhat surprised me why the RN doesn’t do more for its sailors at sea. Cramped quarters, what could best be described as “bijou” galleys etc. I don’t see how the service (and to some extent the other two also) can attract new blood when the accomodation, food and relative pay rates are from the 1970s. The expensive bits of warships are not the accomodation, but it’s no good having a missile system that can hit a gnat’s arrse at 200 miles range if there’s no-one to man it. Or you’ve got half a dozen of these ships, but can only man two, which are on opposite sides of the globe and something kicks off in the North Sea.
And I’ll bite.
We had percy onboard whilst down south 86. Percy thought we were stupid to sit in a big metal box and have people lob missiles and bombs at us, we thought Perc was crazy to lie in a shell scrape and have people who could see him shoot at him. We had air con, nice bunks, bar, freshly cooked food every 6 hours, as a member of HMF what’s not to like? We were jealous of the crabs and their hotels but they aren’t really HMF are they?

And I’ll bite.
We had percy onboard whilst down south 86. Percy thought we were stupid to sit in a big metal box and have people lob missiles and bombs at us, we thought Perc was crazy to lie in a shell scrape and have people who could see him shoot at him. We had air con, nice bunks, bar, freshly cooked food every 6 hours, as a member of HMF what’s not to like? We were jealous of the crabs and their hotels but they aren’t really HMF are they?
Absolutely agreed. Most Signals trucks are air conditioned :)

Kirkz

LE
Only a tad peckish tonight.

20200629_205823_copy_702x572.jpg

I'm worried about @Kirkz 's level of black pudding consumption, he seems to be living on it, this may not be wise, it could lead to an unhealthy interest in flat caps and Whippets.

I'm worried about @Kirkz 's level of black pudding consumption, he seems to be living on it, this may not be wise, it could lead to an unhealthy interest in flat caps and Whippets.
Tis food of the gods.

Latest Threads